The grocery shopping trip from hell!

Options

Replies

• DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If you insist on paying by check, you could have made out 90% of it while you stood there in line for ten minutes. ;)
    What's a check? :tongue:
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I know this will get me flamed but folks paying by check and wait until every last item is rung up and totaled before even getting the checkbook out to start writing. machinegunsmilie.gif

Right, or to pay using 6 different credit cards. Oh and using several coupons that can only be used for single purchase, each item rang up separately and pd for separately and even better yet paid for by check separately... my sister did this and I wanted to strangle her.

YES!!!! AHH I HATE THAT!!!
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Oh my fav is the coupon guy. He seriously has three baskets full to the top with groceries. He has this wooden box that fits on the cart (designed by him I might add) that seperates the coupons by store, by aisle, by brand!!! It is full of coupons! He literally places one item on the belt with its coupon and will only let the cashier ring him up one freaking item at a time! I have walked into the store when they first start checkout and be there for about an hour and they are still not done! I dont shop on thursdays anymore because of him. Hes not the only one that does stuff like that. Theres this lady that shops on sundays when i go and she usually spends a good $500 on food each week. Four baskets full. She has like 6 kids and if I dont get through the produce aisle befor her i wont get any apples or grapes. She also has a unique filing system for her dang coupons. Its almost entertaining to watch.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I hate when people turn their cart diagonally so it spans across the whole aisle while they stand there and look at something FOREVER! And the best part of this situation, and you know it's happened to you, when you politely say "excuse me," and they give you a dirty look. It makes me want to throw my canned items at them.

i no longer have a problem with pushing their cart out of my effin way.... also, when people go to the store with their kids, husband, aunt, grandma on a scooter, cousin, second uncle, dead dogs uncles second ex wife's cousin.. and they think they own the whole aisle to where YOU have to wait for them to pick out their damn flavor of hamburger helper before you can grab your sh.t. so annoying.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    i agreed with all BUT ONE...... "people who feel the need to run up the escalators" i feel the EXACT opposite! i'm an escalator runner, but in my building we only have escalators, and i drives me CRAZY to see people literally just stand still allllllll the way through until the damn thing drags them off! i mean REALLY?? its a set of stairs.. it just moves! if it wasnt moving you'd be walking.. but just because it's moving they have to be sooooooo lazy to not budge one inch.. i mean not even the last two steps?!?! urghhh!! i wish i could just elbow them out of the way... you say take the stairs.. i say take the elevator! :) loved your post though! so true!

With you. I at least WALK up escalators and get irrationally p.o.'d when folks just stand there on them unless they are obviously disabled or carrying a stroller and a baby.
    Wow. just wow. I am not "obviously disabled" but I do have a low back problem that flares up from time to time, as well as a knee problem, which makes it very painful to go up stairs. So yes, I ride the escalator. If I wanted to deal with the pain of climbing stairs, I would go find the stairs. I try not to judge people, because I dont always know what their issues might be.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I must be a brat because if someone is in my way I ask them to move. My kids say I'm polite then politely rude. That usually does it. No way would I stand there waiting while some old guy gives a dissertation to his wife about each and every shopping cart! Or if they're blocking the aisle, nope.

I've decided I'm going to be a curmudgeonly old lady. Well, maybe I'm a curmudgeonly middle aged lady! lol

I think I frightened the overly friendly guy at the mall kiosk who was trying to put one of those smelly rice sock things on my neck. Maybe he'll think twice about pestering women who don't want to be touched. :mad:
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I also have another one.... The people who use the bulk food containers as their OWN container and put there bare hands into the container to take some out. EWWWWWWWWWWWWW :angry: :angry:
  • thecanface
    Options
    i agreed with all BUT ONE...... "people who feel the need to run up the escalators" i feel the EXACT opposite! i'm an escalator runner, but in my building we only have escalators, and i drives me CRAZY to see people literally just stand still allllllll the way through until the damn thing drags them off! i mean REALLY?? its a set of stairs.. it just moves! if it wasnt moving you'd be walking.. but just because it's moving they have to be sooooooo lazy to not budge one inch.. i mean not even the last two steps?!?! urghhh!! i wish i could just elbow them out of the way... you say take the stairs.. i say take the elevator! :) loved your post though! so true!

With you. I at least WALK up escalators and get irrationally p.o.'d when folks just stand there on them unless they are obviously disabled or carrying a stroller and a baby.
    Wow. just wow. I am not "obviously disabled" but I do have a low back problem that flares up from time to time, as well as a knee problem, which makes it very painful to go up stairs. So yes, I ride the escalator. If I wanted to deal with the pain of climbing stairs, I would go find the stairs. I try not to judge people, because I dont always know what their issues might be.

don't think we were judging either... just going along with the post. PET PEEVES. thats all.
  • megpiemac12
    Options
    BJ's!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

I walk up them as well. No sense just standing around. And I HATE when people stand on moving walkways at the airport. Are you kidding me? They didn't put that there so your lazy butt could just stand around blocking the way

I also would like to come to the defense of grocery baggers. In my store most if not all of the baggers are elderly and/or mentally disabled. They do as quick and good of a job as they can to keep people happy. I have never had chemicals end up with my food. To be honest I really don't care if my cold stuff is with my dry stuff. I'm taking it home anyway and it all goes in the kitchen. Is it really a big deal? I'm glad that someone who otherwise might not be able to find a job is bagging my groceries for me, and doing it with a smile.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I'm sorry that you are so sensitive about this issue, but I didn't say anything about judging. I said that I get 'irrationally' annoyed by people who block escalators so the folks who want to walk up them can't pass. Since I said I was 'irrationally' annoyed by this, it would seem that the only one I'm 'judging' is ME.

Sorry this is a sore spot for you and that you are apparently having a bad day. Hope it gets better.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ok heres mine people that stop to talk in the aisle compleatly blocking it. They are the same ones that are never to happy when I slam my cart into theirs .

oh and on the point of view of a former cashier at wal mart.....if you dont put your crap on the belt the way you want it bagged do expect me to bag it the way you want.
    I will bag it as it comes to me
  • thecanface
    Options

I walk up them as well. No sense just standing around. And I HATE when people stand on moving walkways at the airport. Are you kidding me? They didn't put that there so your lazy butt could just stand around blocking the way

right!? it's to make things move faster.. AT LEAST move over to the side if you aren't going with the flow.. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE. i know there's always going to be someone who is going to get their feelings hurt as if i was talking to them directly. wahhh!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The grocery store is a place that I hate more than any other place on Earth. Well the mall becomes number 1 during the Christmas season, but the grocery store takes the lead for the rest of the year. I just can't stand it and I don't have the patience. Here are my additions to your list:

1. People that don't pay attention to where they're going. OMFG...if you come flying out of an aisle with your head turned the other way and bump into me I will freak the F out. Have some consideration for other people!

2. People that have 20-30 items and go to the express checkout lane. Really? Really? Did you learn how to count to 15?

3. You've been rung up but you need to search through your over sized wallet for the 10 cent coupon that you have for the can of corn. Oh and the cake mix. And the soda. God forbid you actually make a freaking list before you came in and had the coupons ready to go.

4. Writing a check for something that costs $5. Listen lady it's FIVE DOLLARS. Don't you have five dollars in cash on you?

5. The person in the parking lot that drives slowly down the lane...following other people to their car so that you can take their space after they pack their groceries and leave. I can understand if EVERY parking spot there is taken but if there are spots open at the end and you just don't want to walk that far then GTFO of the way.

I will add more as I think of them
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Oh my fav is the coupon guy. He seriously has three baskets full to the top with groceries. He has this wooden box that fits on the cart (designed by him I might add) that seperates the coupons by store, by aisle, by brand!!! It is full of coupons! He literally places one item on the belt with its coupon and will only let the cashier ring him up one freaking item at a time! I have walked into the store when they first start checkout and be there for about an hour and they are still not done! I dont shop on thursdays anymore because of him. Hes not the only one that does stuff like that. Theres this lady that shops on sundays when i go and she usually spends a good $500 on food each week. Four baskets full. She has like 6 kids and if I dont get through the produce aisle befor her i wont get any apples or grapes. She also has a unique filing system for her dang coupons. Its almost entertaining to watch.

I saw a show on this called "Extreme Couponing" I could never be that organized, I have enough trouble remembering to bring even one to the store.:wink:
  • thecanface
    Options
    The grocery store is a place that I hate more than any other place on Earth. Well the mall becomes number 1 during the Christmas season, but the grocery store takes the lead for the rest of the year. I just can't stand it and I don't have the patience. Here are my additions to your list:

1. People that don't pay attention to where they're going. OMFG...if you come flying out of an aisle with your head turned the other way and bump into me I will freak the F out. Have some consideration for other people!

2. People that have 20-30 items and go to the express checkout lane. Really? Really? Did you learn how to count to 15?

3. You've been rung up but you need to search through your over sized wallet for the 10 cent coupon that you have for the can of corn. Oh and the cake mix. And the soda. God forbid you actually make a freaking list before you came in and had the coupons ready to go.

4. Writing a check for something that costs $5. Listen lady it's FIVE DOLLARS. Don't you have five dollars in cash on you?

5. The person in the parking lot that drives slowly down the lane...following other people to their car so that you can take their space after they pack their groceries and leave. I can understand if EVERY parking spot there is taken but if there are spots open at the end and you just don't want to walk that far then GTFO of the way.

I will add more as I think of them

speaking of parkers - i really don't understand why people parking spot search for 30 whole minutes at the gym.... i mean aren't you there to exercise??? how are you gonna run 3 miles, but you can't walk 20 feet to your car????? hmmm....
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

right!? it's to make things move faster.. AT LEAST move over to the side if you aren't going with the flow.. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE. i know there's always going to be someone who is going to get their feelings hurt as if i was talking to them directly. wahhh!

Right. I don't mean to offend anyone. It's just natural for me to walk up the stairs even if they are moving. I am, however serious about the airport walkway. If you have to stand there, at least get your big luggage out of the way so I dont trip on it as I walk.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am a proud grocery store pajama-er. I wouldn't go in a nightgown or bathrobe, but I do wear my comfy sleeping pants and a hoodie. Not sure why this would annoy other people. I'm not there to look nice or impress other people, so why would you care? You're there for food. It's not a runway. If pajamas are so unsightly, perhaps I will start shopping in my underwear and see if that goes over better. :tongue:
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty laid back about the grocery store, in fact I usually enjoy going. That being said, if all of the self checkouts are in a little cluster... and there's three people standing back waiting for one to open, don't think that you can just jump in front of everyone and stand behind the guy that's grabbing his receipt... we're not all standing here for sh*ts and giggles
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,428 Member
    Options
    "7. Cashiers who study everything you buy- and ask questions about it. Really? Just put it in the bag, dammit!
    8. Bag my damn groceries the way I put them on the belt or let me do it myself! Frozen with frozen- boxed with box etc etc..... it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this out! "

These 2!!!! Please, it's quinoa, it's a mango, just ring me up! And yes, we do have mentally handicapped folks working as baggers at our store and since I have an aunt who is mentally handicapped I try really hard to have patience. BUT, when they want to show me how nicely they put all my boxes in one bag (and it's now ripping at the seams-at least they are all boxes-I should be happy) and it took them 5 minutes to bag it that nicely, I"m like "let me do it"!

Also, as far as why does it matter if cold is with cold, etc? A lot of times I have more errands to run and I just want to take in the cold stuff and put it away and leave the pantry stuff on the counter or even in the car. If the yogurt is mixed in with the cereal, not gonna work.