Lent! What's everyone giving up?

Replies

• crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    I've always given up something like candy, chocolate, etc, but for the past few years I've tried to start something new, or be better at something. This year, my goal is to do both - I'm going to give up "trashing talking myself" (i.e. saying negative things about the way I look, feel, etc) and I'm also going to make it a goal to Track EVERY Day, no matter where I am, or how much I eat.

Good luck!
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Giving up swearing (cussing) is an awesome thing to commit to! I love that
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Being sedentary, I am going to exercise for at least 30 minutes per day during lent.

I might want to think about swearing too, as when I read this thread I thought "Oh Sxxx! that's this Wednesday"! Does it count if you don't say it aloud?
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    I am going give up chocolate. I gave it up for the best part of 2 years when i started my diet, but i began allowing it again as long as it was within my cals when i joined mfp. To be honest though...its been creeping in way too often. Time to cut it out for a while. I dont need it!

: )
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    I am going to give up Red Meat. (although I am not Catholic being from Cajun country we definitely observe Mardi Gras and Lent)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    What I'm giving up >>> Any type of creamer in my coffee.
    And I will stop hiding a cadbury chocolate/caramel bar in my desk.:sad:
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 523 Member
    i gave up cheese last year and dropped 7lbs!!!
    and this year I am giving up the scales! eeek.... see my post for giving up the scales and join in if you want. motivation and support thread! x
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    I'm giving up cursing and cheat days. I did cursing last year and every time I accidentally cursed, I donated a dollar into a fund that went right into my churches collection plate. I raised 20 some dollars. I wanna see if I can lower that this year until it doesn't become a challenge.

I am going to take up not going over my calorie goal.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    I am in a weight loss contest at work and for every pound I lose during lent I am donating a pound of food to the local food bank. The good thing is that a couple of my coworkers are doing the same thing.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    I am in a weight loss contest at work and for every pound I lose during lent I am donating a pound of food to the local food bank. The good thing is that a couple of my coworkers are doing the same thing.

That is awesome!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Sometimes these threads entertain me. If you're not giving anything up for Lent, if you're not Catholic, religious, or have anything positive to say, how about just refrain from posting here?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    If you're not giving anything up for Lent, if you're not Catholic, religious, or have anything positive to say, how about just refrain from posting here?

I am not sure why, as this is a fairly innocuous statement, and on its face seems on topic, but this post bothers me to the point that I felt compelled to respond. I don't think that you have any right to define what will and will not be posted here or anywhere else on this site.

Somehow you have hit a nerve in me that is usually well dormant, Just sayin'
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    - I'm going to give up "trashing talking myself" (i.e. saying negative things about the way I look, feel, etc) Good luck!

What a great idea!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    If you're not giving anything up for Lent, if you're not Catholic, religious, or have anything positive to say, how about just refrain from posting here?

I am not sure why, as this is a fairly innocuous statement, and on its face seems on topic, but this post bothers me to the point that I felt compelled to respond. I don't think that you have any right to define what will and will not be posted here or anywhere else on this site.

Somehow you have hit a nerve in me that is usually well dormant, Just sayin'

I agree. That did come across as a kind of nervey comment. The quickest way for me to post on a thread is to insinuate that I have no right to post. :devil:
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    There still is time to get in the Lenten Scale Diet ... starts officially tomorrow (but weigh in has to happen tonight before midnight)!
    Come on guys, you know you want to break your addiction to the scale!
  • klmartin83
    klmartin83 Posts: 1 Member
    I am not Catholic either, but I celebrate Lent, and this year I am giving up:

1. sweets
    2. fast food
    3. soda

I realize this seems like a lot, but when I'm stressed, upset, bored, etc., these are the things I tend to turn to and I want to stop doing that. This seems like a good time to start.
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Thats it! As i read peoples post about being baptist and catholic and not celebrating lent, its more than just a day on the calender. We do give up more than just food and drinks! I am giving up sex, alcohol, Facebook and excessive spending!!!!!! Its about renewing your mind and changing the way we think and our outlook on life as whole. It really doesnt have to be religious at all, but thats one of my reasons though, to purge my mind, body, and spirit to be closer to God. :wink:
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    i'm giving up a half inch on each thigh. :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    To Zebrahead and Betty~ Of course you have the "right" to post. I just don't understand when people will post negative things on something that was meant to be positive. If it doesn't apply to you, why post negative comments? Sorry, Zebrahead, but dissing my religion hits a nerve with me. Just sayin'.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    I don't recall posting anything 'negative'?... Funny mayhap but not negative. We could certainly go there though. But that would not be nice.
This discussion has been closed.