Lent! What's everyone giving up?

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    I have no "right being in here since I am not religious, but just had to say....

I LOVE you ZH!!!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Good grief, people. You have a "right" to post anything you want. I just don't understand why you would be so compelled if the topic doesn't pertain to you. So, you're not religious, you're not giving up anything for Lent, yet you'll go to a thread called. "Lent! What's everyone giving up?" and post a "funny" or snide comment? Why? I just don't get that.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Well I guess my posting that I DIDN'T celebrate Lent was negative (the word "didn't is negative right?) but why that would offend anyone is beyond me. :ohwell: sheesh! Some people are so sensitive.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    @pattimcneil :flowerforyou: I'll give you that much :flowerforyou:

But you'll just have to step over my comments to get to the real meat of the topic or take these religous posts out of MFP and onto a religous forum out on the web. As rule number 13 indicates this conversation could erupt well beyond it's current benign state into something that would make me feel bad later on. I am sorry if you feel my posting is inappropriate.

I invite you to peruse rule number 13 of the MFP golden rules:

13) Topics about politics or religion are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums or religious forums - there are plenty of other places to express your views.
  • macpatti
    I did see that rule this morning, and it's a good one. I did not begin this thread. My point was exactly why rules like this have to be put into place. If people would refrain from posting on topics that are non-applicable to them or ones they don't agree with, then like-minded people can have a positive discussion. I'm on board with not posting anything religious or political! :-)
  • macpatti
    Betty,
    Don't confuse being sensitive with being passionate. If you don't celebrate Lent, then why in the world would you even read, let alone post, on a topic with Lent in the title? Just to let everyone know you don't celebrate Lent? Your comment wasn't "negative", just completely unnecessary.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Aye aye aye...

I am not Catholic and I am "giving something up" so....ZH is giving up Lent...he is still giving up something..maybe he meant he is re-evaluating his religious affiliation...we don't know?? :huh:

I think...and this is just my opinion (take it or leave it) Unless someone is outright targeting you... you should just ignore them if you don't like the comment. I don't think he came in here specifically aiming at anyone.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Agreed :flowerforyou:

Just as I would not start an anti-religious (or Satan worship) thread here because some would take offense. Or feel the need to comment in it even if they were not truly Satan worshippers.

:flowerforyou:
  • macpatti
    Interesting, Natasha. You'd like me to ignore people's comments, and I'm asking people to ignore topics that don't pertain to them. I don't think ZH was "targeting" anyone, just as I wasn't "targeting" him. I was making a statement about people who go to posts that don't pertain to them and make comments. I don't know ZH, but my guess is that he's not really re-evaluating his religious beliefs by giving up Lent for Lent. :-) We're chill now, so y'all don't have to defend ZH anymore. :-)
  • yuli23
    yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
    Kinda lost .... but lol I am baptist we don't practice lent .... so ......instead of giving up maybe I should take up. Like 40 days of walking or something ... just a thought
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member

Lent...

I'm not necessarily religious so this isn't a religious thing for me but I think people should still respect it regardless of it being connected to a certain strand of Christianity. It's a really positive thing!
    . That's like sayng Christmas is not a Christian celebration.

Lent is the time in the church caldenar when Christians focus on the suffering and cruxifiction of the Christ. Its not a Muslin, Buddist, Hindu or secular event.

I think what she was saying is regardless of it's religious background the idea to put down something or pick something up for 40 days is a positive experience. She wasn't saying it wasn't Christian or anything, simply saying that everyone could benefit from taking 40 days to do something positive with their life.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Anywho, I am giving up Soda, and going to start reading my bible.
  • tashjs21
    Interesting, Natasha. You'd like me to ignore people's comments, and I'm asking people to ignore topics that don't pertain to them. I don't think ZH was "targeting" anyone, just as I wasn't "targeting" him. I was making a statement about people who go to posts that don't pertain to them and make comments. I don't know ZH, but my guess is that he's not really re-evaluating his religious beliefs by giving up Lent for Lent. :-) We're chill now, so y'all don't have to defend ZH anymore. :-)

I was just mainly wondering why you'd get on to people for commenting when you had not commented on the thread at all beforehand and then came in to tell someone not to post?

Why not just ignore it?

I wasn't meaning to "defend" anyone, it just seemed that an issue was being made out of a non issue.
  • tashjs21

Lent...

I'm not necessarily religious so this isn't a religious thing for me but I think people should still respect it regardless of it being connected to a certain strand of Christianity. It's a really positive thing!
    . That's like sayng Christmas is not a Christian celebration.

Lent is the time in the church caldenar when Christians focus on the suffering and cruxifiction of the Christ. Its not a Muslin, Buddist, Hindu or secular event.

I think what she was saying is regardless of it's religious background the idea to put down something or pick something up for 40 days is a positive experience. She wasn't saying it wasn't Christian or anything, simply saying that everyone could benefit from taking 40 days to do something positive with their life.

Excellent way to put it!! :drinker:
  • macpatti
    I did post on it. I said I was giving up dessert.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    I firmed up my plans:

I am going to give up being sedentary, (exercise for 30 minutes a day).

Eating while standing up.

Eating in my car.

The last two are going to be a bigger sacrifice than it would seem.
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Alcohol and Elevators!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Kinda lost .... but lol I am baptist we don't practice lent .... so ......instead of giving up maybe I should take up. Like 40 days of walking or something ... just a thought

That's perfect! it's just committing to make some sort of sacrifice in preparation for Easter to be mindful of the sacrifice Christ made for us.

I made an exercise committment as well.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    It might not sound too drastic, but I'm giving up facebook for lent. I spend way too much time on it and it'll be good for me.
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    A bunch of my friends are doing that!! They all set their "goodbye" statuses today haha Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.