MFP Runner's Club - July 3

Options

Replies

• RunFasterMommy
    Options
    Good Morning All....

I was reading yesterday's posts and had something to add for Nat (hope that's the right name). Anyway, when I was a new runner I actually marked my distance by car,, I know the website is a better idea, just didn't have that when I started. At mile 1 - I spray painted a little '1' on the road. Most areas are okay with this.... or I hope so. Our running club still does this - we have a road marked out to mile 10 & back. Also, just an orange spray painted dot will work if you don't want to number things.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Morning lovelies....and handsome...ies!:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

I had a rough run this morning...woke up late...back hurt some, but I felt like I needed to get out and do it....I did only 3 miles in 30 mins...not my best....and I hated the first two miles....lol

I don't know why I haven't enjoyed my last two runs??? I think about it and really want to get out there...and then I'm like...ugh!

oh well, could be the heat or my back is not doing amazing...maybe I'll give it a rest tomorrow...any advice or suggestions?

hugs and I'll be back during my lunch to catch up...imagine them wanting me to actually work at work today...pfft! :laugh:

Ali :flowerforyou:

It is cyclical Ali, somedays you are on and someday you are off and somedays you just feel like your legs are made of cement!!! but atleast you got out there and did something! I think that is the hardest part when you are not feeling 100%! Good for you!!!

you could be dehydrated too, have you been drinking enough water?
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow, by the time I get back from my morning run everyone's already done their workout and begun their day!

I got in 4 miles this morning. I got up a bit late so it was hot (for me--probably 75-80 or so). But it was enjoyable.

It's good to hear about your tempo run, Kechie! I want to do some speed work. I plan to go to the local high school and run their track so I can time myself better.

You all are so awesome! :happy:

Julie
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Wow, by the time I get back from my morning run everyone's already done their workout and begun their day!

I got in 4 miles this morning. I got up a bit late so it was hot (for me--probably 75-80 or so). But it was enjoyable.

It's good to hear about your tempo run, Kechie! I want to do some speed work. I plan to go to the local high school and run their track so I can time myself better.

Julie

Welcome back, Julie! :flowerforyou:

How was vacation?
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I want to run!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

But I'm still hacking and coughing and wheezing and well, still not feeling that great. I am taking my meds like a good girl, but I'm not bouncing back like I want. As soon as I can breathe without rattling, I will get my shoes on again. Hopefully soon! Have a happy 4th everyone!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    I want to run!!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

But I'm still hacking and coughing and wheezing and well, still not feeling that great. I am taking my meds like a good girl, but I'm not bouncing back like I want. As soon as I can breathe without rattling, I will get my shoes on again. Hopefully soon! Have a happy 4th everyone!

I am sooooo sorry you are still sick..and colds with coughs seem to take forever to go away. When you are feeling up to it just go for a nice leisurely walk to remind those muscles you haven't forgotten about them. Get Well Soon!
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Julie

That is because we are two or three time zones ahead of you silly!!!

Great run today! Have a great rest of your day!
  • PrincessDesiray
    PrincessDesiray Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Like I had stated before I am a new runner and I did start the Couch to 5K today and got in a mile and a half without passing out. I also did Body pump today at my gym which totally got my muscles in gear. I then did the ellipitica for 30 min. I enjoyed the running today it made me feel ALIVE!!!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Like I had stated before I am a new runner and I did start the Couch to 5K today and got in a mile and a half without passing out. I also did Body pump today at my gym which totally got my muscles in gear. I then did the ellipitica for 30 min. I enjoyed the running today it made me feel ALIVE!!!!

Good for you!!! Glad you got started and decided to join us!! Now where is the Matt fellow!??

Stick with that program it works and it just keeps gettting better!! :flowerforyou:
    Tricia
  • rdhsm
    rdhsm Posts: 16
    Options
    Good Morning! So I only went 2.33 miles today... I have never really run in the heat and I could feel a huge difference in the 80 degree weather (supposed to be 106 today) But the coolest part was the first mile was great... I started out on a 10 minute pace and cheesy as it sounds but I was smiling cause I felt so good. The last half mile... not so much I miss running in the upper 60's to low 70's! How do you handle the heat? Is it something you just gradually get used too? I will try and run earlier and that should help. Have a happy 4th!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Good Morning! So I only went 2.33 miles today... I have never really run in the heat and I could feel a huge difference in the 80 degree weather (supposed to be 106 today) But the coolest part was the first mile was great... I started out on a 10 minute pace and cheesy as it sounds but I was smiling cause I felt so good. The last half mile... not so much I miss running in the upper 60's to low 70's! How do you handle the heat? Is it something you just gradually get used too? I will try and run earlier and that should help. Have a happy 4th!

Hey there! Great run today! Heat is a killer! It is way harder and yes, you do get used to it but that doesn't mean it gets easier! Make sure you slow down a bit and carry water with you or hid water along your route. Definitely getting out there earlier is beneficial but I don't know about you, I don't do well early in the am...

Have a great weekend!!
  • rdhsm
    rdhsm Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks. I did carry some water with me, which helped. And areay congratulations on your marriage... how exciting!
  • kc_lea
    kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I'm the same - i cannot handle the heat! My skin and lungs equally revolt in the sun. On hot days I pick routes with pockets of shade, so that even if I leave the shade for a while, I know in like another km I'll be back in the shade for a while. Riverside runs or trails for example.

The humidity I've gotten a little more useful. Usually my pace just slows a little. I don't know how 'serious athletes' handle pace+humidity+heat, but for me running is just a fun hobby so if my pace drops i'm not gonna freak out (too much :blushing: )

.kat
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello lovelies!!! I am on a glorious vacation staying out at my in-laws! I have convinced the hubby to run with me the last few days, and it has been amazing! At home, a 1 mile run was difficult, but out here, we've been running 2 and didn't even know it! The scenery is so wonderful! I love the country! We were at a cousin's house yesterday, and she has a beautiful 2 mile driveway in the woods. The hills were killer, but just being out in the fresh air made it so easy! We are normally night runners, but out here we are running later in the evening since there are no street lights! Hope everyone is having a great day, and have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend!!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hello lovelies!!! I am on a glorious vacation staying out at my in-laws! I have convinced the hubby to run with me the last few days, and it has been amazing! At home, a 1 mile run was difficult, but out here, we've been running 2 and didn't even know it! The scenery is so wonderful! I love the country! We were at a cousin's house yesterday, and she has a beautiful 2 mile driveway in the woods. The hills were killer, but just being out in the fresh air made it so easy! We are normally night runners, but out here we are running later in the evening since there are no street lights! Hope everyone is having a great day, and have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend!!!

Running outside is the best! :love:

Enjoy the rest of your vacation! :smile:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    OH! forgot to tell everyone...I played hookey and did yoga this morning!

Thanks for the push JD!

all I can say is........................................................................................OUCH! :sad:

What is up with that pigeon pose - that was not nice on my quads after all the running this week. Just proved that I NEED to work on my stretching way more.
  • julie737
    Options

Julie

That is because we are two or three time zones ahead of you silly!!!

Great run today! Have a great rest of your day!

I know--sometimes it just surprises me how much has been going while I'm asleep!
  • julie737
    Options

Julie

Welcome back, Julie! :flowerforyou:

How was vacation?

Vacation was awesome, but I need another to recuperate from the first...:laugh:
  • kc_lea
    kc_lea Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    la la la.... :glasses: i ran 5 k after all. gorgeous day. breezy. overcast after a huge storm with the promise of more to come. 5k with an umbrella in tow ..lol. Tried to get my pace up but really rolly terrain made it more of an 'interval' situation. My fav part of mfp so far is that i used to worry that i didn't 'look like' a runner, carrying some extra weight around. But with a toned-ish tummy (thanks to running) and legs that make me :love:, all of a sudden i'm realizing that i *feel* like a runner.

Today during my run, i came across a family that was feeding geese and ducks on a riverside today. I FROZE. They had to act as road blocks between the geese and me or else I would've been too afraid to run by. *shudder* Birds freak me out! A little embarassing because one of the kids who was fearlessly protecting me was about 5 or 6 yrs old :embarassed: ah ha ha

.kat
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    mapmyrun.com

this is an amazing site