Do you count calories from fruit?

bellamia88
bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
So I am a little lost here. I keep hearing you should count calories from fruit ( which I already do) cause regardless they are still calories and are high in sugar but then according to weight watchers apparently fruits and veggies no longer count as points so I don't know who to follow anymore. So far I haven't discarded those calories just to be on the safe side, what does everyone here do. Also I've noticed that I will have two fruits before the day has even started and already it will say I've exceeded my sugar intake, I'm starting to get frustrated.

Replies

• cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Bump! I would love to here about this too!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I am not on weight watchers so I count fruits, an apple is about a 100 calories, so I can't really ignore it even if it is a better snack choice than a candy bar.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    watching :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    I"m here on MFP so I count my fruit, if it is food and it passes my lips it gets logged, I skip tracking my water, tea or coffee. (my tea and coffee IF I have them are consumed without any sweeteners or cream or cream substitutes so just black)

Depending on the fruit it has low calories, like I can have 100grams of raspberries (twice the weight of my typical chocolate bars) and only take a 50 or 60 calorie hit compared to the 300 or so from chocolate.
    I ignore the sugar count as I'm losing weight, if /when it slows down I might pay more attention to sugar but since it comes from my milk (tracked) and fruits I'm not worried about it.
  • dezil
    dezil Posts: 252 Member
    Hey bella, I heard that about weight watchers also. But then I was reading into it more and they said they are not tracking points for fruit/veggie intake because people don't eat enough of these period. Which makes sence, especially in this fast food society we live in. I have never done weight watchers, but my sister in law lost a lot of weight doing so and has religiously kept it off. I do track my calories in fruit, also I feel you can consume a lot of fruit and its never a lot of calories. I do not track my sugar... perhaps when I get more into this way I will... but as for now I just need to keep focused on my exercise and calories. Good luck, I think with whatever decision you make you'll be fine.. especially if its an increase in fruit intake!!
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    I am still doing WW also and log my fruits on both.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    This isn't weight watchers and the points calculated for the new point program doesn't follow a calorie counting diet... so yes, everything (even a little tic tac) has calories...

Sorry to sound rude, but just had to get my point across.
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    You should count them. If you find you are going to high in sugar, stick with veggies and fruits that are lower in sugar, like berries. I tend to go over on my sugar from time to time and don't worry too much about it.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    I'm not doing Weight Watcher's, I'm doing a program on my husband's Air Force Base called Soar Into Shape. You work with a dietitian to make healthy lifestyle changes and lose weight.

Her rule of thumb is, "you bite it, you write it." We do count the calories for everything we eat, including fruits and veggies because in her words, "everything you put into your body, fruit, veggies, meats, is fuel for your body."
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    I found Iost track if I tried to do this both this and WW so I chose one to follow and this is free so I log my fruit x
  • I have been counting fruit. Actually, if it's food at all, I count it.

In fact, I probably should be counting the water intake b/c I currently don't track it. At work I just keep refilling my 1 litre water bottle (Nygen or whatever) and sometimes if it gets warm I'll dump and refill making consumption tougher to track.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    I count them. From what I understand with Weight Wwatchers you are allowed so many points a day and it is a very low number usually. Their fruits and veggies don't count because of this, I believe.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    I would count it, at the end of the day it’s about calories, WW points are only an attempt to make the math less intimidating to their clientele. Points are a marketing tool, calories and eating the right amount are the important variable to weight loss.

I sometimes think about counting water to see a more accurate sodium level but I think that would just b e a deterrent.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    YES count them. On WW they have different calculations. The flex plan has been very good to me but if I don't take the time to calculate everything then it doesn't work for me. I haven't tried the newest plan but I'm sure they are getting accounted for. Or they know people don't typically eat that many of them. I'm sure if someone started eating a ton of them because they were "free" then they'd see issues on the scale and start counting.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Yes. I count calories from everything. Although fruit and veggies are packed with lots of vitmins, minerals, etc., they also have calories. While veggies (the non-starchy kind) are relatively low calorie, and you could probably eat them all day without worrying, fruit is another thing. A banana is easily 80-120 calories, Apples are about the same, oranges just a little less, a cup of grapes is 60-70 calories. These aren't amounts so small that they shouldn't count. I used to throw a couple different types of fruits together to make smoothies - that could easily be 300-400 calories from the fruits alone!

So - fruits are healthy, but yes, they do count.

Edited to add: Dried fruit is even higher in calories because people tend to eat more of them. The number of raisins you can eat in a handful is much more than the number of grapes in a handful. So measure/weigh dried fruits as well, and be careful with them! (ONE date is about 60 calories. 1/2 cup (not packed) of seedless raisins is over 200 calories.)
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Calories are calories, you should still try to stick to your daily allowance, but if you're going over by 100 or 200 on fruits and veggies you aren't doing yourself much, if any, harm. Veggies are always completely free, but because fruits are much higher in calories you do have to be more conscious about them.
  • I don't do weight watchers... But I definitely do count the calories from fruit. Since they aren't zero calories I always add them.
  • kuhristeee
    kuhristeee Posts: 100 Member
    I count calories for everything, including fruit. :) Though (of course) they pack more nutritional value than a candy bar or something, a calorie is a calorie regardless!
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    When it comes to the science of the weight loss and tracking you should track your fruit & veggie intake on MFP. Weight Watches is a great program that can be successful for you so don't be afraid not to count it as points. However, the science of losing weight is pretty simple and is simply a matter of calories in & calories out. Keeping track of sugar and fat content can effect your body's metabolism & how you feel. For example a piece of fruit can make you feel a lot better as your blood sugar spikes but then you may quickly feel less good as fruit can also sink your blood sugar.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    YES! All food has calories, and needs to be added. I don't know weight watchers very well, but from my understanding they consider a lot of stuff as 0 points, or free. But here, because it's based on calories and not a point value, they need to be included.
This discussion has been closed.