Do you count calories from fruit?

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    i heard that most fruits and veggies count as ''negative calories'' because it takes more to digest them than the calories they're worth.So I've always counted them as a free food and that's always worked for me

They're not negative calories sadly - that's a myth, but typically the net caloric gain from fruits and veggies is pretty small - although this does depend on what kind and how much, as with anything.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    I'm not on WW, I count everything I eat. Everything.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Count everything that you consume, food or drink.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    i heard that most fruits and veggies count as ''negative calories'' because it takes more to digest them than the calories they're worth.So I've always counted them as a free food and that's always worked for me

Anecdotal. Why are we grave digging? This is a 2011 post.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member

They are not negative calories -- even the extremely low-cal ones like celery still have a positive number of calories after you account for digestion. Some fruits and veggies are less low-cal than others -- for example, it could be quite easy to get a serious amount of calories eating bananas.

For some people it might work to set calories a little bit lower and then not track their fruits and veggies. For other people that would be a bad idea because it might lead to gorging on higher-cal choices.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    My advice is to count the calories, but subtract the sugars because they are natural and not added.
    Count the calories, ignore the sugar as long you're eating it in fruit form.

If you're drinking the juice, then the sugar counts.

why doesn't the sugar in fruit count? It's still sugar/carbs

Because unless you have The Beetus, the sugar in fruits won't harm you. Besides, if you eat a ton of fruit every day that sugar will add up too quickly, and you should never feel bad about eating fruits and veggies.
  • cwsreddy

sugar in fruit juice spikes your insulin like soda while sugar in whole fruit does not because it's attached to pectin/fiber so it burns more slowly. Whole fruit sugar is not an issue.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    count the calories - there is a link somewhere on here for people who have or want to follow WW while counting calories - not sure which forum thread it is in so you will have to search them sorry.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    ...and this thread is almost 3 years old, friends.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Only when in the form of wine.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,566 Member
    ...and this thread is almost 3 years old, friends.

I guess this is for the person who dug this thread up....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822197-how-to-track-weight-watchers-points-on-mfp
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Yes. If you're on the Weight Watchers system then you don't have to count the calories from vegetables except starchy vegetables like potatoes, peas, corn, etc. And of course you have to count any butter or dressing you add. But you don't have to count vegetables, they're "free". (If you're using that system.) But you always count calories from fruit because they're pretty high in sugar, albeit natural sugar.
  • I used to throw a couple different types of fruits together to make smoothies - that could easily be 300-400 calories from the fruits alone!

This ^
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    If you ingest it, count it.

Personally, I do not log tea and/or coffee (because I drink them unsweetened or black), but I do log water for as an accountability measure to ensure that I drink enough per day.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Yes.
  • cwsreddy
    My advice is to count the calories, but subtract the sugars because they are natural and not added.

Because unless you have The Beetus, the sugar in fruits won't harm you. Besides, if you eat a ton of fruit every day that sugar will add up too quickly, and you should never feel bad about eating fruits and veggies.

It won't harm you, but it still contains calories that you absorb. You can't just ignore that IMO.

we're not talking about the calories. I said you SHOULD count the calories, and ignore the affect on your sugar intake. Not sure what you're not getting.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Another zombie thread is resurrected. :huh:

Whatever goes in my mouth gets logged and counted, whether it has calories or not. Some of the spices I use have no calories, but I count them, too.

Edit: As far as sugar goes, I don't pay much attention to it. I'm not diabetic, I don't eat lots of sugar anyway, so I don't worry about it.
  • cwsreddy

sugar in fruit juice spikes your insulin like soda while sugar in whole fruit does not because it's attached to pectin/fiber so it burns more slowly. Whole fruit sugar is not an issue.

If you're ignoring the sugar in the fruit then you are essentially saying that the fruit is 0 calories. Almost 100% of the calories in fruit is from carbs.

we're not talking about the calories. I said you SHOULD count the calories, and ignore the affect on your sugar intake. Not sure what you're not getting.

(happy?)
  • I count everything, then I am not kidding myself, everything in moderation :D
  • cwsreddy

If you're ignoring the sugar in the fruit then you are essentially saying that the fruit is 0 calories. Almost 100% of the calories in fruit is from carbs.

(happy?)

Thanks bud for copying and pasting the exact same thing you already said before.

lol you seemed upset that i responded to the wrong post - I was hoping responding "correctly" would warrant a response from you. Guess I was wrong. :P
This discussion has been closed.