Muffin Top and Jean Sizing

Options
How do you determine your jean size? For instance, me, I can wear an 18 in certain brands but I have a muffin top. And size 20 fits comfortably with no muffin top so that's what I consider my size to be. I see these thin (thinner than me) girls who wear jeans that are way too small and their stomach fat hangs out all around the top of their jeans. Makes me want to scream 'GO UP A SIZE!'

So do you determine your size by the muffin top also?

Replies

• catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have a lil muffin top, but if i go up a size it won't fit in the legs.
  • fatgirlslim47
    Options
    I am the same as you, in an 18 I have a huge muffin top, in a 20 I am comfortable with a hand space, so I say I am a comfortable 20 getting towards an 18, I hate muffin tops and camel toes!!!!
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I have the same problem..... The legs and butt become too big so I stick with the size even if it gives me muffin top. I imagine, eventually that part will go away soon.........
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i look at the over all fit. the bum and legs are most important for me but that being said a muffin top is hard to escape and likely the jeans don't stay up. Currently i have a muffin top pair since i am losing weight and in between sizes
  • modifyinglife
    Options
    I think it depends on the person body shape and the brand/type of jeans. Like she said above me sometimes I'll have a muffin top but if I go up a size its comfy on my waist and too big in the legs.
  • dawny78
    dawny78 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was thinking this , I'm a 14 in top but my tummy still a 16 but my legs well they are no way a 16 as my work trousers are mega lose around my legs , but i can't stand my tummy being squeezed into a 14 atm :((
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    And I am the opposite... Considering I am pear shaped... I have to fit my hips but then sometimes (depending on the brand) the waste is too big.

Its a catch 22 when you are dieting! haha so I just wear my too big pants with a belt! one more month baby and I am buying new clothes!
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wear my jeans so it hides that muffin top. I think you looks slimmer this way. no one knows what size jeans your wearing. but they can see how you look with belly flab hanging over top, and it looks horrible.

I wore size 16 jeans for the longest time, just to hide my stomach. and it was more motivation to try and get out of that larger size pants.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Amen!: laugh: I think muffin tops look terrible and would rather my jeans fit big in the butt and legs that fat hanging over the top. Muffin tops & camel toes, not pretty.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    I go by the muffin top too! If it doesn't fit in the waist, then I go up a size.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it because I'm short (5'2) so most jeans are too long and too wide around the legs. But, for me, I'm more comfortable with baggy legs and hem dragging on the floor than I am with a muffin top. So I guess to each his own!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I was in denial of my 'Muffin Top' before my journey of weigh loss...

I believed it started when I had to buy a 30 waist jeans...never in my life.

Now, I'm back into my 28 waist jeans - with no muffin top...

It only took me 3 months to get rid of it...

Yes, girls who wear tight jeans and muffin tops is not very attractin' - unless guys like that lol...:laugh:
  • GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hate jeans!!! All my weight is in my mid section. I have relatively smaller legs andno booty at all! but when i buy jeans that fit my legs i have a muffin top and if i buy jeans that fit my waist they are gigantic on my legs and hang off my butt! I cant win either way...are most peoples bodies like that? I think im going to start getting my jeans tailored LOL
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    I feel the same way. Before my son I was a size 6 but they were a little to tight and i felt like I had a muffin top. So i would wear a size 8 even thought they could fall off.

Now i am losing my baby weight and wear my 10's and 8's Problem with the size up is then I get butt crack showing or thong showing...soooo annoying.

I call the girls that wear a size way to small "I CAN STILL FIT INTO THESE JEANS" They just dont want to mentally admit they are a size bigger.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    HA HA! I see many measure their waist at their belly button and then the muffin/pouch below. I tend to buy jeans that are right above the belly button (no low rise for me until I lose the pouch/muffin top) to smash the pouch in LOL, so the jeans have to be large enough to fit over everything and be comfortable at the same time. When I sit the muffin top/pouch can all be contained.
  • SafariLara
    SafariLara Posts: 172
    Options

SAME! its so obnoxious! i usually buy a pants size bigger (depressing) and let the legs be baggy because I'm self concious about my midsection
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    This is always an issue!! I prefer to wear a little bit looser pants with a belt and reduce the muffin top as much as possible. The muffin top is what I look down and see and therefore it makes me less comfortable and confident. They are a bit loose in the legs and butt, but at this moment I prefer it that way since it shows that I am losing instead of looking like I am trying to force myself into a smaller size and that I really havent lost.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I hate jeans!!! All my weight is in my mid section. I have relatively smaller legs andno booty at all! but when i buy jeans that fit my legs i have a muffin top and if i buy jeans that fit my waist they are gigantic on my legs and hang off my butt! I cant win either way...are most peoples bodies like that? I think im going to start getting my jeans tailored LOL

i am the same way!! i feel your pain! small skinny legs and no butt (at least yet, im working on it though)!! I have been doing the Jillian micahels no more trouble zones and have notice my body toning up on my sides, backside and midsection!!
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    LOL....I would think no one would want to walk around with muffin top. They are uncomfortable.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it because I'm short (5'2) so most jeans are too long and too wide around the legs. But, for me, I'm more comfortable with baggy legs and hem dragging on the floor than I am with a muffin top. So I guess to each his own!

I'm short, too. I've found jeans at Old Navy that are short enough and ride a little lower so that my belly doesn't make a muffin top. I will NEVER go back to jean that sit at the waist. Ouch!