Muffin Top and Jean Sizing

Options

Replies

• Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    All those style people say fit the waist and if you have to, have the rest altered, which is actually really cheap.

Personally, as I've lost weight, there was no way I was going to spend much on jeans that I would hopefully be to small to wear in a few months (I've gone through several sizes fairly quickly). I've just kept trying different brands to find jeans that fit my body.

I say try all different styles, you might be surprised what fits you best. I've tried all different brands and styles and have been pretty surprised by the difference in rises.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite issue! My thighs are so bit, I have to buy to fit them, and go get the waist tailored in. But you should always, always, always buy jeans to fit the biggest part of you and then tailor the other parts.

I also hate jeans - I find the trouser style jeans fit me the best, but they are hard to find!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm a UK size 16 with a muffin top, 18 if I want to keep it sleek round the waistline, but that tends to give me a baggy bum and thighs. My first promise to myself on starting MFP was to never buy size 18 again, so that muffin has to go!
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    I use my tummy as a way to size my pants. There are some jeans from college that are a little small and show the muffin top, so I tend to wear those with a sweatshirt. But the newer pants that I am buying, I make sure that they hide the muffin top, because it's so not attractive...
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    I used to like muffins, until the "muffin top" trend started. These girls are obviously insecure and don't own or use a mirror before they leave home in the morning. The worst is the muffin top with the short top! Seen some muffin tops that were so bad, they caused me to coin a new phrase: "jiffy pop". Think about what the jiffy pop popcorn container looks like when the corn has been popped. Wear what's comfortable for you...never mind the size: the size of your jeans and the number on your scale are just numbers. While they should count for something, you can't let them run your life. Good Luck.
  • jamamm
    jamamm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So, I watched a show this morning that talked about this. Helpful, because I am SO wearing the wrong size jeans. They were saying to get rid of the muffin top you should take 2 fingers, place them at the bottom of your belly button, and that's where the top of your jeans should fall (for style.) Also, when figuring out your waist size in jeans, don't take the measurement of the smallest part of your waist - take the measurement of where your hands go when you rest them on top of your hips. Makes it seem like you're wearing a bigger size, but no one needs to know what that number is but you - and you look better with better fitting jeans.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You have to remember that you lose size in your extremeties first and then your trunk last.
    So your legs and butt will be smaller than your waist.
    You just gotta give it time and wear shirts that are loose around the waist.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    All those style people say fit the waist and if you have to, have the rest altered, which is actually really cheap.

Personally, as I've lost weight, there was no way I was going to spend much on jeans that I would hopefully be to small to wear in a few months (I've gone through several sizes fairly quickly). I've just kept trying different brands to find jeans that fit my body.

I say try all different styles, you might be surprised what fits you best. I've tried all different brands and styles and have been pretty surprised by the difference in rises.

I so agree trying different brands and different styles and fits is the way to go.

I love American Eagle jeans style Boy friend fit. They are sooo comfortable! Or Lucky jeans mid rise. I love them because then I dont have to worry about my thong showing.
  • eannhaynie
    eannhaynie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've found that I'm loving higher waisted jeans for this reason!!! LOL! I feel like an old granny sometimes, but the darn junior sizes show my crack when I sit down and cause me to muffin top all the time! I'm short and small boned so I have the issue with length too, especially since my weight is mostly around my gut. Being so darn short makes 5 lbs looks like a ton of extra weight on me, but I'm back into my 5s but with a little muffin top, so I usually wear my 7s to cover it or I opt for a "classic" rise... LOL! I'm telling ya though, not worrying about my butt crack hanging out and no muffin top... classic is the way to go, LOL! However with classic, since most of my weight is around my middle I have to still be up a size to fit my waist and then its baggy through the thighs. SIGH. If I can lose my baby gut (Funny how the "baby" gut problem started before I had a baby, now I can call it that though, LOL!) maybe I'll be able to wear "fashionable" jeans again...
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I gave up looking at jean sizes, because going up a size would 'depress' me. I bought a size 12 back in December, because I realized I would rather a larger jean size than where a 10 and hang over the top. Surprisingly, because my jeans fit correctly, people actually thought I had lost weight!!!

The day will come when I can fit those 10s again (comfortably) and there will be much rejoicing on my part :)

I am super short (five feet tall), so I have made a point to shop in the petite section for jeans and haven't had as many problems. My butt may not have as awesome as a WOW factor (as the selection is smaller), but I prefer it to looking like I'm too fat for my jeans. I was even able to find a pair of 'skinny jeans' (the leg style) that didn't make me look absolutely horrible that I use when Im going out and want to wear a cute pair of boots ;)
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Before my son I was a size 6 but they were a little to tight and i felt like I had a muffin top. So i would wear a size 8 even thought they could fall off.

Now i am losing my baby weight and wear my 10's and 8's Problem with the size up is then I get butt crack showing or thong showing...soooo annoying.

I call the girls that wear a size way to small "I CAN STILL FIT INTO THESE JEANS" They just dont want to mentally admit they are a size bigger.

:P LOL or in my case the girls on the way down a size are the"I WILL fit into these jeans"...I love it...I fit every size 6 but 1 ( a pair I paid too much money for 5 years ago) That is my muffin top pair but I WILL get to wear them as the muffin top shrinks(doesn't help that they are lower cut.)
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use my tummy as a way to size my pants. There are some jeans from college that are a little small and show the muffin top, so I tend to wear those with a sweatshirt. But the newer pants that I am buying, I make sure that they hide the muffin top, because it's so not attractive...

That is my daily wardrobe! but sweaters in the summertime is no fun so I better get busy!!
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I so agree trying different brands and different styles and fits is the way to go.

I love American Eagle jeans style Boy friend fit. They are sooo comfortable! Or Lucky jeans mid rise. I love them because then I dont have to worry about my thong showing.
    [/quote]

I am wearing AE Fav Boyriend fit today!!
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i like bluejean skirts. if ou get them alittle beyond the knee then when you can wieght you can just pull them up higher lol or when you los wieght they just fall down on your hips lol
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I can fit in size 11/12 or 14 depending on the brand. Most of the time I chose my fit by how well I look in them. If my legs looks like thunder thighs I wont buy or if i have a muffin top I'll bypass. Usually, I have to buy expensive brands, like Silvers, to get the fit and look I want. I'd rather not spend that much on jeans, but if thats what makes me comfortable and feel good about myself then I will!
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    I'm between two sizes right now and it is sooo frustrating!

If I go to the smaller size I get a muffin top which I hate on me and if I go to the larger size then the jeans fall down (literally fall down) and I need a belt to cinch them in which is uncomfortable and sometimes creates the muffin top anyway.
    :laugh: I give up!!!
  • kcbrig
    kcbrig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It irks me because if I go for a size where the waist "fits"the legs and but are super baggy. If I go for the smaller size, the legs fit but there is muffin. I don't think it helps that once you get over size 14 they make it all with strechy fabric that doesn't hold its shape so if you put it on & it looks fine, you're all baggy & lumpy an hour later.
  • nikkiiheat
    Options
    This is always an issue!! I prefer to wear a little bit looser pants with a belt and reduce the muffin top as much as possible. The muffin top is what I look down and see and therefore it makes me less comfortable and confident. They are a bit loose in the legs and butt, but at this moment I prefer it that way since it shows that I am losing instead of looking like I am trying to force myself into a smaller size and that I really havent lost.

I agree, when you wear jeans that are too small, or show your muffin top, it kind of makes me think that you are in denial about still being able to fit in those jeans still, and need to work out fixing that. When I see someone with jeans on that are a little baggy in areas that we would rather have them fit better, I think, "you go girl! drop those pounds!". Now, theres a line drawn, on a little baggy, and just flat out baggy, you don't want to look like a thug, just comfortable. I know it's easier said than done, but it is possible!
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For me, I always seem to have a muffin top no matter what size I wear. I wore tight pants when I was younger and that is just the way it formed. I am in a 12-14 pant that fit well in the butt and legs, but the ever present muffin is there so I dress the top part to hide it. loose shirts in the belly, but fitted at the bust. It isn't easy but you can hide it tastefully.
  • Karlbarbell
    Options
    Have you seen Barbell Apparel Jeans?! They make jeans for those with muscular legs/butts and they're extremely functional so you never have to worry about ripping your jeans in the crotch ever again. www.BarbellApparel.com!!!!!:smile: