annoying weight related nicknames.

Options

Replies

• Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I'm Susan. My dad used to call me to supper like you call pigs: SUUUU-EEEEEE!

To this day, I will not respond if someone calls me Sue.
    That is awful. It's one thing for kids to call names but parents doing it is so wrong.

Oddly enough.....I was rail thin. But I had a good appetite and really great metabolism!! He just thought it was cute and really didn't do it in a mean-natured way. It just really made me HATE the name Sue! LOL!!!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Thunder thighs and thick have been thrown my way.

When I was pregnant was the worst. I worked with the public and everyone felt it was necessary to inform me on how big I was.

One man told be I was going to need a wheelbarrow to carry my stomach around in. And I always got, Are you sure theres not two in there? I did gain 50-60lbs with each pregnancy but did I had 8.5-9.5lb babies in there, and we delivered each one 2 weeks early!

Whats funny is the heavier the person, the ruder the comment made to me.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Also I remember being at a bar, this was during the time frame Anna Nicole had her reality tv show, probably 1st season and some guy kept telling me my body looked just like hers.

He wouldn't stop so finally I mentioned that I don't take that aas a complimant since she was pretty heavy. He tried to say he didn't know she had gotten big but I just walked away.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My name is Sam. In my parent's circle of friends (all big nerds) it was popular to call me Samwise... Yeah. The fat hobbit. Not that any hobbit was particularly healthy, but Tolkien makes a special note of Samwise's tubbyness. It has always bothered me.

Then there were the basics in school, tubby, fatty, other basic things like that. I'd be less bitter about it if they had at least TRIED to be creative.

:bigsmile: Like Samwise, I'm a big fan of 2nd Breakfast!
    2nd breakfast is something i would sign up to as well ! : )

I actually have my meals set up as the hobbit eating times, lol.

I have always been called out on my height. Midget, Tiny, Shortie...ect. The only nickname I tolerate based on my height is from my best friend Kat....she calls me Chibi Chan.
  • TimKirkwood
    Options
    Co-workers use to call me Grimmace, Like from McDonalds. Then they moved onto "beef" as in Where's the beef.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    'A big girl'. I freaking hated it. I am also tall so it was used even before I had weight problems, and it really took it's toll on me.
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well... My name is Matt. So0o0o I suppose its no surprise I've been "Fat Matt" all my life.

When I started my business "Downtime Designs" a lot of people started calling me "Downtime" and thats a whole lot better then "Fat Matt". Whats even better is that now these same people are calling me "Halftime" because of the weight I've lost!!
  • barb2465
    barb2465 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi I got two I remember from growing up and they were both from family. One was stubby, cos I was short and fat like a beer bottle and the other was skin, cos I had so much of it. Sadly, my parents thought it was cute my brother had nicknames for me and didnt seem to notice how much it hurt.
  • tagsIT2011
    Options
    :angry: :explode: :grumble: :mad: :noway: Well isn't it shocking how others see you... All kidding aside.... name calling is hurtful, a putdown, and all around nasty business.... I have been called names all my life: for my nationality, for my religion, for my weight, for my size.... all have had an emotional impact on my life. But my absolute favorite name i was given was: DRAGONLADY.... I still use that name.
    I too have been called oompa loompa, lardbutt, heifer, wide load, etc..... And this is my response to all of those thoughless, clueless, mean spirited people we all have in our lives, or who we meet and see on the street.

"YOU ARE A WASTE OF AIR!!!"

That usually shuts them up simply because they have to stop and think about it. some will never get it, you will have to explain it...
    :love: :wink: :happy: :bigsmile: :heart:
  • mainey65
    mainey65 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The first one I remember, as a kid, was tub-o. I hated it! The other one I remember was thunder thighs. These were from people in my family! I don't know why they did this. Did they think it was funny? Did they think it would motivate me to lose weight? All it did was lower my self-esteen and make me feel awful.
  • mainey65
    mainey65 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The first one I remember, as a kid, was tub-o. I hated it! The other one I remember was thunder thighs. These were from people in my family! I don't know why they did this. Did they think it was funny? Did they think it would motivate me to lose weight? All it did was lower my self-esteen and make me feel awful.
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I remember as a kid people saying we were "big girls." I look back at pictures, my sister had always been on the chunky side - but she wasn't a roly-poly. As for me, I wasn't a stick, but I was slender -- much like my daughter is. It breaks my heart to look at these pictures because I want to go back and tell those little girls how beautiful they were -- and that they aren't fat.

I also had a step-grandfather who always called us "boys" -- I don't know why, it was weird and I hated it. My father would call us ugly, lazy, or tubby.

As I got older, even when I was in high school weighing anywhere from 140-150 pounds people would say I was "big-boned" and boys would call me fatass. Again, I wasn't skinny at this weight, but I was curvy. I don't think teenage boys have the ability to appreciate curviness in a female.

Still today, I get really annoyed when someone says I'm "big-boned" just because I am obese. I am not -- I inherited my mother's genes, her side of the family is Canadian french and the women all have short and petite frames, and a few are overweight. My hands and feet are very small -- I have a friend who laughs at my tiny ankles. At least I'm thankful for that -- I don't have "cankles." LOL
  • newsammy11
    newsammy11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My name is Sam.. . Sometimes I have been referred to as Fat Sam (Its a bugsy Malone reference) , not usually to my face mind you.

Ugh, same here -____- or I was called Samuel....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    One time I had a co-worker tell me I needed to put a "wide load" sign on my butt...

did you tell them they needed one that said "ignoramous"? of course they would need a dictionary

Idiot:angry:
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I got all the usual names but the one comment that hurt the most... I had gotten a brand new GAP sweatshirt for Christmas (These were the coveted item that year)...I tied it around my waist getting off the bus (FL weather) and a boy behind me said that aint the Gap it's the Grand Canyon...Never really wore it again

Looking back it was seventh grade and I was 8 inches taller than this boy and he was super skinny, compensating much?
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I was in 4th grade, I was about two times bigger than all the other kids. I weighed around 150 and was already 5'4", and to top it off, my mom cut my hair into a pixie when I was gaining weight, and it curled up, making me look like a boy. They would call me a "fat boy".

I was playing on the monkey bars one day, and I was doing the "tornado" where you hang on, lift your feet, cross them, and then swing your body in a circle. EVERYONE makes the bars shake when they do it, but this kid just HAD to point out that when I did it, I shook the bars even more than everyone else. :grumble:

Now that I'm older, some comments still hurt. I married into a family of 11 kids (my husband being the 7th), and out of those kids, there are 8 girls. about 6/8 of them are "bigger", meaning they are overweight, have wide hips or wide shoulders, or SOMETHING that makes them not "skinny". My in-laws always make the joke that my husband didn't fall far from the tree when he married me, because I am "built" the same way his sisters are. And I get told I look like his sisters solely because of my "body structure". :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

All the more reason to get healthy and end the jokes!
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    While I was growing up, my family called me "The Garbage Disposal" because I would eat anything and everything the family leftover. I've also been known to polish off a full XL pizza (or two) by myself... The nickname started when I was in fifth grade, and was actually incredibly skinny at the time. I don't think the family meant anything hurtful by it, but it definitely encouraged my already bad eating habits. I started to take it as a personal challenge to out-eat anyone else at the table, as if it were a competition. Because I was really active, none of that overeating affected me until I got older, got a desk job, and my metabolism slowed down. Now the irony is that I have a very restricted diet and cannot eat much of anything anymore due to my food allergies.
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I started reading this I didn't think anyone had really called me names until I kept reading then all of those suppressed occurrences came flooding in.

Dad called me lardo.
    Mom called me heavy or fat.
    I was called a pig and taunted with snorts.

I have never had perky breasts and probably never will w/o the bra assistance and I had girls giggle and say in unison "saggy for life!!!" ouch.

My MIL thinks I'm friggin huge.
    My husband calls me big curvy woman :/ I have mixed feelings about that one
  • indycello
    indycello Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I started reading this I didn't think anyone had really called me names until I kept reading then all of those suppressed occurrences came flooding in.

Dad called me lardo.
    Mom called me heavy or fat.
    I was called a pig and taunted with snorts.

I have never had perky breasts and probably never will w/o the bra assistance and I had girls giggle and say in unison "saggy for life!!!" ouch.

My MIL thinks I'm friggin huge.
    My husband calls me big curvy woman :/ I have mixed feelings about that one
  • Carru1
    Carru1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I was REALLY little (and it was thought of as "baby fat") my mom called thighs "thunders", so when I tested for Kindergarten (which I got to skip) the only question I missed was my "thunders." I knew my fingers, toes, hands, and feet. My mom stopped saying it after that. Now it's really funny to think back on. Of course, shorty was always in the mix as I didn't hit 5 feet tall until senior year, but that wasn't really hurtful either since my shortness was distinctive, plus I wore a trench coat which I think probably helped.