Cooking Challenge: Cabbage

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited September 24 in Recipes
Welcome to the twenty-second round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from melkneec who was the winner of the pineapple challenge.

cabbage-juice-ulcers.jpg

This week's challenge is CABBAGE.

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday March 12th at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    BAVARIAN SAUSAGE DINNER

Knorr - Lipton - Pasta Sides Stroganoff (Dry Mix), 1pkg
    Spices - Caraway seed, 1 tbsp
    Hillshire Farm - Turkey Polska Kielbasa, 1 container (14 oz. (56g) ea.)
    Generic (Mae's) - Cole Slaw Dry Mix, 2 cup (green/purple cabbage ...1c of each with approx. 1/8 c minced onion)
    Shredded Carrots, 1 cup
    Condiment - Blue Bonnet - "Light" Margerine, 2 tbsp
    Pam spray

Cut Sausage in rounds and saute
    Put on paper towel to absorb excess fat and drain off fat from pan
    Spray pan with Pam and Add Shredded carrots, cook til tender crisp
    Add margerine to pan and put on simmer
    when melted Add coleslaw and stir to wilt (sometimes add other seasonings here...i.e garlic powder/celery seed/onion powder etc. )
    Add 'Pasta side' dry pkg mix and H2O to barely cover ...( we originally used a pasta dry mix with sour cream and chives but can no longer find it... it was the best.)
    Add back sausage and put lid/cover on and simmer to low boil .... stir to keep from sticking.
    Add Caraway seeds at end/ stir in.

Serve warm
    Serves 4
    Delicious! ..... The 'Guys" at my Brother -in -law's Mason lodge LOVE this!
    Hope you Enjoy!

Sometimes add sour cream/chives to individual plates ( stir in while hot ) or use a Laughing cow wedge ( Nutrient values below do not include these add ins.)

Per Serving: Calories = 301
    .......................Carbs = 29
    ........................Fats ..= 12
    ......................Protein = 20
    ...............Cholesterol = 63
  • SHERRIE134
    SHERRIE134 Posts: 26 Member
    NAME OF RECIPE: Stir Fry Cabbage
    INGREDIENTS: Cabbage - small head
    Olive Oil - 1 Tablespoon
    Salt and Black Pepper to your taste
    DIRECTIONS: shred cabbage very fine. In Frying pan- heat 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for about
    15 minutes on medium heat. Add Salt and Pepper to your taste.You want your cabbage to soft but still crunchy.

CALORIES PER SERVING: not sure.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is a very good low calorie side dish. You will want to cut the whole cabbage because it
    reduces once cooked.
    PICTURE (optional):
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Saving for later. :)
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    bump
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    judz tasty cabbage

put about 2 tbs water in dish
    add finely sliced cabbage
    sprinkle chicken stock over cabbage
    dot a few tsp of lite butter on top
    grind black pepper over

microwave for 5 mins.

calories - not sure but not a lot
    how many it serves...as many as you want...just put more cabbage in for more people.

It's the only way my family will eat cabbage and they love this recipe.
  • SHERRIE134
    NAME OF RECIPE: Cabbage Crunch Salad ( Ramen Noodle Salad)
    INGREDIENTS: Shredded Cabbage (Cole Slaw Mix) 1 bag
    2 packs of Chicken Flavor Ramen noodles
    1 cup of Sunflower seeds
    1 cup of Almond Slivers
    1/2 bunch of Green Onions(chopped Fine)

DIRECTIONS: In large bowl add Shredded cabbage, sunflower seads,almond slivers and green onions. Break Ramen noodles into salad. Toss to mix.

Dressing: 1/2 cup sugar
    3/4 cups of Olive Oil
    1/4 cup of Red Wine Vinager
    1 packet of the chicken flavor from the ramen Noodles
    Add ingredients into a pot and heat on stove to dissolve the sugar. This mixture can be refrigerated until ready to serve in a glass jar. Shake dressing and pour over salad and serve.

CALORIES PER SERVING: Not sure, Would love to know
    HOW MANY IT SERVES: Alot
    OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: I first tried this salad about 5 years ago for a family easter gathering. It made a big bowl and everyone went back for seconds. Since then I have made it regularly. I sometimes use the Light Raspberry Vinagerette Dressing from wishbone instead of making the dressing.
    PICTURE (optional):
  • SHERRIE134
    Judz,Will have to try your recipe, With St. Patricks Day Parade next week, will have lots of cabbage.: :happy:
  • judz46
    You wouldn't be Irish by any chance????LOL
  • SHERRIE134
    Cajun... A little bit of everything. lol
  • judz46
    Forgive my ignorance but where do you live?
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    BUMP! Currently my fave experiment :bigsmile: Thanks!!
  • SHERRIE134
    Louisiana
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    NAME OF RECIPE: Stir Fry Cabbage
    INGREDIENTS: Cabbage - small head
    Olive Oil - 1 Tablespoon
    Salt and Black Pepper to your taste
    DIRECTIONS: shred cabbage very fine. In Frying pan- heat 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for about
    15 minutes on medium heat. Add Salt and Pepper to your taste.You want your cabbage to soft but still crunchy.

CALORIES PER SERVING: not sure.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is a very good low calorie side dish. You will want to cut the whole cabbage because it
    reduces once cooked.
    PICTURE (optional):
    I do this as a "bed" for my stir fries or tofu scrambles. Really helps to make my meals more substantial and I love the caramelization I can get on the cabbage. Always makes the house smell fabulous too :happy: I just chop it roughly into squares and stir-fry in a little Pam on medium-high and let it brown up really well. Yum!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    NAME OF RECIPE:

Cabbage Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 lbs of 97% fat free ground turkey
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/4 cup of dried onion flakes
    1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup of non fat milk
    1 can of mild enchilada sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Brown the meat. Mix the browned meat, rice, onion flakes, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and milk together in a bowl. Clean the cabbage and boil each leaf in water or chicken broth until flexible. Place some filling mixture on a leaf and roll it up. Place a tooth pick through the flap to hold it in place. Place on a baking dish. Once you are done with all the rolls pour enchilada sauce over them and bake. Bake covered at 350* for 40 - 50 mins. Remove tooth picks before serving.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Cabbage Rolls Total for 1 roll:
    Calories 73, Fat 2g, Fiber 0g, Protein 9g, Sodium 335, Sugar 1g

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    Makes 12 - 13 rolls.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is another one we loved. I burned the tops a little and the next time I make themI will put the flap on the bottom. lol. I got the idea from this website http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagemaindishrecipes/r/bl30620u.htm but changes a lot of it to make it more diet friendly. :)

PICTURE (optional):
    CabbageRolls.jpg
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    melkneec...? how many calories in your enchilada sauce..I will subtract out and use my own but need calories to subtract please/thank you.
    Also, I do not see the cabbage leafs in ingredient list, did you count them in the calorie count?
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,283 Member
    bump!
  • Pot-au-Feu, a la Mosaicpaloma :)

This is a typical comfort dish made in France-economical and filling. I change it around a bit, but here is the original version and my version:

Original
    Stew beef chunks
    Cabbage (1 head, sliced into 4 sections)
    Potatoes (about 2 lbs, peeled, whole)
    Carrots (about 2 lbs ,peeled, whole)
    Turnips (1 large, peeled, cut in chunks)
    optional: Leeks (cleaned, trimmed, and whole)

Salt
    Herbs

Arrange stew meat on bottom of large pot, cover in cold water, simmer about 2 hours. Add salt, bay leaf and a bouquet garni (usually oregano, thyme and rosemary) Add potatoes and carrots and the turnip. Cover with cabbage (the cabbage should rest on top of the the mixture). Let simmer one more hour, or until a knife goes through the cabbage easily.
    The French eat this with strong dijon mustard as a condiment, I also like horseradish. However, when watching salt intake it is best to side step that!

Mosaicpaloma version

substitute chicken for the beef (reduce cooking time accordingly)
    Add all the veggies including the leeks,
    add chopped garlic
    and chopped onion

Pinch of salt
    bay leaf.

Calories: calculate either simmered meat for their different calories and nutrients-
    and whatever simmered veggies equal in calories.
    These are meals I've made for years, so not quite sure of the fine details..except that they are very healthy dishes. :)
    (provided the sodium is kept low i.e., salted stew, or dijon or horseradish use. )
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Bumping- if for no other reason then to try some of these!
  • Another typical dish eaten in France but originates from Germany, is Choucroute. (I reference France meals because I have been cooking them for years, I married a Frenchman when I lived in France and brought him back to the USA with me :-) )

The original version calls for plenty of fatty sausages, so let me give my quick version, Choucroute a la Mosaicpaloma...

You can buy sliced cabbage in jars called sourcrout,(English spelling ? ) but I much prefer using fresh cabbage.

1 large head of green cabbage, shredded, or sliced very thin
    Turkey hotdogs
    lowfat sausages, such as chicken&herbs, Turkey, or vegetarian styles
    2 whole cloves
    2 lbs small new potatoes , peeled, whole
    1/3 cup white wine

Sausages and hotdogs on bottom of pan, with peeled whole potatoes.Add enough water to barely cover sausages (cabbage releases its own water) Cover that with the chopped cabbage, add the two cloves and pour on the little bit of wine.
    You may or may not need salt, depending on what type of sausages you use.
    Steam for about 1 hour, making sure there is always a wee bit of liquid at the bottom of the pan.

The cloves make a HUGE difference for flavor, so don't forget them!

Calories, once again, I don't know... it depends on what sausages you use.
    Serves about 5 people, if serving small portions (well, the portions we are SUPPOSED to be using).
  • Can you tell I love cabbage?! :)

Another thing I do with cabbage is use it to make a salad larger and more filling. I add anything left in the vegetable drawer to it. In French this is called a Meal from the back and drawers of the fridge, LOL. or, (salade du fond du frigo)
    A typical salad like this would be:
    1 cup shredded green cabbage
    1 cup shredded red cabbage

left over veggies i.e., bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts, green onions, lettuce, celery...etc
    left over chicken, turkey, tuna.....
    Even fruit, i.e. I've added grapefruit, apples, oranges
    Nuts, usually almonds

sprinkle some balsamic vinegar & a *wee* bit of sesame oil, OR, those wishbone spritzers are AWESOME! One spritz goes a long way.

Another idea for shredded cabbage is for toppings on Mexican food (homemade is best, you can control the fat and sodium ingredients yourself), for example, lowfat enchiladas or tostadas, or sopes, cover them in shredded cabbage, literally. It makes them more filling and healthier!
This discussion has been closed.