Cooking Challenge: Cabbage

Options

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage. My current favorite is to saute a thinly sliced onion, three slivered toes of garlic in a little olive oil. Add shredded cabbage, about 1/4 C of water, and salt & pepper to taste. Don't cook very long (so cabbage is still sweet).

Serve over stewed lentils & potatoes, or on its own.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later...
  • mosaicpaloma
    Options
    I love cabbage. My current favorite is to saute a thinly sliced onion, three slivered toes of garlic in a little olive oil. Add shredded cabbage, about 1/4 C of water, and salt & pepper to taste. Don't cook very long (so cabbage is still sweet).

Serve over stewed lentils & potatoes, or on its own.

Oh my gosh, YUM!!!
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Making this for dinner tonight

Recipe name Russian Cabbage Soup
    Number of servings 8

Ingredients
    Parsnips - Raw, 1.5 cup slices 150
    Fresh Produce - Sweet Potato-Baked With Skin, 5 oz
    Cabbage - Savoy, raw, 800 g
    Potatoes - Red, flesh and skin 3 potato medium
    Turnips - Raw, 3 small
    Carrots - Raw, 2 large (7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long)
    Generic - Yellow Onion, 1 cup
    Trader Joe's - Low Sodium Vegetable Broth, 8 cup
    Garlic , 3 raw clove (crushed)
    Hunt's Diced Tomatoes - No Salt Added Basil, Oregano, Garlic, 1 container (1 4/5 c.s ea.)
    Olive Oil - Extra Virgin, 1 tbsp
    Spice Islands - Mediterranean Sea Salt, 1/4 tsp

Shred the Cabbage with a knife and slice all vegetables into 1/8 inch slices ( I used a mandolin for consistency). Sweat Onion and carrot in a large soup pot on medium heat with 1 tbs olive oil until the onions are translucent. Add the remaining vegetables(except for the cabbage) and the garlic to the pot and on medium heat sweat the vegetables for about 10 minutes. At this point add 4 cups of the vegetable broth, sea salt and seasonings to taste(I used Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute) and the shredded cabbage. Place lid on the pot until the cabbage has wilted slightly. Add the remaining broth and the can of diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until vegetables are completely tender and all the flavors have married. Generally about 30-40 minutes. For a little added zip, add a tablespoon or two of white wine vinegar to the broth.
    This makes about 8 generous servings

Per Serving

Calories 193
    Carbohydrates 40g
    Fat 2g
    Protein 6 g
    Fiber 9g
    Sodium 308mg

Serve with a dollop of fat free greek yogurt and a green salad for a delicious and filling meal under 300 calories.
  • kfuller27
    kfuller27 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a name for this, it's just something I came up with by throwing things in a pot and I am now addicted to it! I've made it twice in the last week lol.

1 lb extra lean turkey burger
    1 red pepper
    about a cup of mushrooms
    1 small onion
    1 head of cabbage
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    seasonings (I usually add a little paprika, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes)
    1 small can of low sodium tomato soup plus half of the can of water

Sautee veggies (except cabbage) until they're cooked
    Add turkey burger and seasonings until cooked through
    Add the sliced cabbage and cook until it's cooked through.
    Add the tomato soup and water and stir until heated through.

I sometimes cut up 1-2 med. potatoes and cook in the microwave quick and then throw them in, depending on how many calories I have left for the day.

Per Serving: (4 Servings)
    Calories: 246
    Carbs: 28
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 32
    Sodium: 146

With 2 medium potatoes:
    Calories: 301
    Carbs: 59
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 38
    Sodium: 161
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:

Cabbage Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 lbs of 97% fat free ground turkey
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1/4 cup of dried onion flakes
    1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup of non fat milk
    1 can of mild enchilada sauce

DIRECTIONS:

Brown the meat. Mix the browned meat, rice, onion flakes, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and milk together in a bowl. Clean the cabbage and boil each leaf in water or chicken broth until flexible. Place some filling mixture on a leaf and roll it up. Place a tooth pick through the flap to hold it in place. Place on a baking dish. Once you are done with all the rolls pour enchilada sauce over them and bake. Bake covered at 350* for 40 - 50 mins. Remove tooth picks before serving.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

Cabbage Rolls Total for 1 roll:
    Calories 73, Fat 2g, Fiber 0g, Protein 9g, Sodium 335, Sugar 1g

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    Makes 12 - 13 rolls.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is another one we loved. I burned the tops a little and the next time I make themI will put the flap on the bottom. lol. I got the idea from this website http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagemaindishrecipes/r/bl30620u.htm but changes a lot of it to make it more diet friendly. :)

PICTURE (optional):
    CabbageRolls.jpg

LOL! Winner... Sorry guys, but this made my mouth water. :)
  • tanniew78
    Options
    Seriously though:

3 Ingredients. One pot. Heaven.

Irish Stew (Variation as corned beef is higher fat)

3 lbs turkey smoked sausage, diced or sliced
    4-5 large russet potatoes, diced
    1 head of green cabbage, sliced into ribbons

Toss it all in a pot with some water, salt and pepper to taste... Boil til potatoes are done and cabbage is translucent. YUMO!
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Healthy, Tasty Slaw

3 cups grated cabbage
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1/2 c. pecans, chopped
    1/4 c. raisins
    1 T. flaxseed
    juice from wedge of lemon
    1 T. yogurt
    1 T. honey

Mix all ingredients, refrigerate.

Serves 6.

Per Serving:
    Calories: 95
    Carbs: 14
    Fat: 4
    Protein: 2.5
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
    there are some great sounding recipes here!
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE: Stir Fry Cabbage
    INGREDIENTS: Cabbage - small head
    Olive Oil - 1 Tablespoon
    Salt and Black Pepper to your taste
    DIRECTIONS: shred cabbage very fine. In Frying pan- heat 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil. Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for about
    15 minutes on medium heat. Add Salt and Pepper to your taste.You want your cabbage to soft but still crunchy.

CALORIES PER SERVING: not sure.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is a very good low calorie side dish. You will want to cut the whole cabbage because it
    reduces once cooked.
    PICTURE (optional):

I love this except at our house we add greenbell peppers and onion!! It taste absolutely amazing!!
  • tanniew78
    Options
    bumping
  • kinokid150
    kinokid150 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Spicy Cabbage

1 head of cabbage
    1 Large sweet onion
    1 Large jalapeno
    3 cloves of garlic
    Texas Pete hot sauce to taste
    2 tb olive oil
    Toney’s Creole seasoning to taste
    Salt pepper to taste
    Heat up a large pan with the olive oil. Chop up the cabbage slice the onion, slice the jalapeño (with the seeds or with out depends on how hot you want it) and chop up your garlic

After your pan is hot layer you items in the pan with the cabbage, onion, pepper and the garlic. Also add some seasoning hot sauce and s/p on each layer.

Cook on medium to low heat until soft. (I cook it covered and until the cabbage is almost burnt) If you like it spicy you can add more hot sauce to the dish.

Not sure how many calories this has but it can't have very many
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:

Cabbage Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup of non fat milk

DIRECTIONS:

Brown the meat. Mix the browned meat, rice, onion flakes, bread crumbs, egg, salt, pepper, and milk together in a bowl. Clean the cabbage and boil each leaf in water or chicken broth until flexible. Place some filling mixture on a leaf and roll it up. Place a tooth pick through the flap to hold it in place. Place on a baking dish. Once you are done with all the rolls pour enchilada sauce over them and bake. Bake covered at 350* for 40 - 50 mins. Remove tooth picks before serving.

CALORIES PER SERVING:

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    Makes 12 - 13 rolls.

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: This is another one we loved. I burned the tops a little and the next time I make themI will put the flap on the bottom. lol. I got the idea from this website http://southernfood.about.com/od/cabbagemaindishrecipes/r/bl30620u.htm but changes a lot of it to make it more diet friendly. :)

PICTURE (optional):
    CabbageRolls.jpg

This looks FANTASTIC!!! I'm totally trying this
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    NAME OF RECIPE:

Cabbage Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 egg
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup of non fat milk

DIRECTIONS:

CALORIES PER SERVING:

HOW MANY IT SERVES:
    Makes 12 - 13 rolls.

PICTURE (optional):
    CabbageRolls.jpg

OKAY, those look and sound FABULOUS! Can't wait to make them next week!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the comments on the recipe I posted!!! They are our favs!!! Next week we are going to try the cabbage rolls with some ragu and see how that tastes. mmmmm
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Had sautéed cabbage tonight! But that's nothing to post about here... Perhaps I'll post my warm cabbage, roasted squash and black bean salad recipe. I'm not sure I'll have time to make anything new before Sat :frown: I've really been slacking on these challenges!
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this counts as a "recipe", but I gotta tell you - when I know I'm in for an evening of "wanting to eat everything in sight"... I make this and pig out on it! Only when I'm staying home of course, 'cause I can eat a huge plate of yummy cabbage which, well, you know, can make you a little "musical"... Ha ha ha!

Anyway, here's what I do - guess I'd call it Super Easy Oven Roasted Cabbage:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Take 1 head of cabbage, wash the outside. DO NOT CORE. Slice in half, then slice each half into 4 wedges, so you have 8 wedges total.

Place wedges on a cooking tray, drizzle with olive oil. Personally, I don't add salt to anything, and I don't like the taste of pepper, so I leave it with just olive oil. However, you can "salt and pepper to taste" at this point if you want.

If I have them, I also will "wedge" some purple onion, and cut some red/yellow/orange bell peppers into big chunks, and put those on the tray as well, drizzled with a bit of the olive oil as well.

Place tray in oven for 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the cabbage wedges and stir onions/peppers as needed, then return to the oven for another 8-10 mins.

Remove from oven and let sit for a couple minutes. Then cut out the core parts as needed - when I do this, some of the core parts actually are soft enough to eat, I just cut out the parts that I can't eat. I then stir the whole mix together - cabbage, onions, peppers - and go to town!

Sorry I don't have any pics but will try to post some next time I make this - maybe tonight!

:drinker:

Ice
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    OK, I made this into a Recipe now, complete with pics!

Easy Oven-Roasted Cabbage

1 head cabbage
    1 or 2 purple or yellow onions
    Bell Peppers of choice
    Garlic - if desired
    Olive oil

3258136_4007_thumb.jpg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Take 1 head of cabbage, wash the outside. DO NOT CORE. Slice in half, then slice each half into 4 wedges, so you have 8 wedges total.

Place wedges on a cooking tray.

If desired, prepare purple or yellow onions, also cut into "wedges" .

If desired, cut red/yellow/orange bell peppers into large chunks.

If desired, add whole garlic cloves, or crushed garlic to the cooking sheet.

Drizzle all with olive oil.

3258136_4574_thumb.jpg

Place tray in oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven, flip the cabbage wedges and stir onions/peppers as needed, then return to the oven for another 8 mins.

Remove from oven and let sit for a couple minutes. Then cut out the core pieces - they are very tender!

3258136_8431_thumb.jpg

I then stir the whole mix together - cabbage, onions, peppers - DELICIOUS!

3258136_4052_thumb.jpg

Ice