Drinking Alcohol

Options
I understand we are a fit focused group, I myself am real diligent on my dietary habits, and doing VERY well I’m proud to say, but does anyone drink alcohol?? I don’t mean habitually, but does anyone indulge (in moderation of course) when out with friends?? If you do, how do stay within the parameters of your fitness and dietary goals, if you DON’T drink and you are out with friends (at a business that sells alcohol) what do you drink then? I like red wine for the purpose of cardiovascular health, and I’ve had whiskey (10oz.) within the last 13 days of my program. Any thoughts??

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I do drink alcohol:drinker: . I'm sure if you account for the calories it is fine.
    Maybe workout longer the day after and drink lots of water.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I just log it and try to keep my drinking to 2x per week. :D

Probably slowing my progress... but damn it, I'm a single woman in a college town, and I freakin' love booze!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I do drink alcohol:drinker: . I'm sure if you account for the calories it is fine.
    Maybe workout longer the day after and drink lots of water.

Right... your friends see you crawl out of bed and start packing for the gym, they think you're insane. I was this morning. They were looking at me like I had a terd on my head.

• jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    I think beer is a food group so i count it and work it off :)
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I still drink my beer on the weekends. Now that I've been tracking my sodium, I can tell when I do (woohoo puffiness!) so I make sure I drink a TON of water during the day as well. I also need to be better about working out on the weekends but I'm getting there. Stay with in your goals (calories, carbs, what ever) and you should be okay.
  • just4laughs
    Options
    I do it all the time. I just log it and try to keep my drinking to 2x per week. :D

Probably slowing my progress... but damn it, I'm a single woman in a college town, and I freakin' love booze!
    AsaThorsWoman..................Will you merry me!?!?!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't drink. It's one of those things that just isn't worth the calories for me. Plus, it's not good for your body if you have an exercise routine that is any kind of intense.

I generally drink water at restaurants but sometimes I'll have ice tea or a soda.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I drink and I log it every time. All my MFP can vouch for that lol ;)
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I do! I designated one of my "meal" slots to alcohol -- it's easier to log that way and I keep it separate from "dinner" or "snacks" or whatever. (Add me if you'd like to see my food log.) Keeping it in moderation has been difficult for me, but easier once I've started logging it and realizing how many calories are in alcohol. As another member mentioned, I also try to keep it to 2 times per week, with the occasional exception of a birthday or whatnot :)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I just make sure to log it and do some extra exercising to make up for it.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I just make sure to log it and do some extra exercising to make up for it.
  • banksave
    banksave Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    if you mixed UV vodka with shakeology is it still considered healthy... :smile: Never mind... thats just wrong.... seriously drinking alcohol which is primarily and acid based product promotes the storing of toxicants within your fat cells. The more you drink, the more your body will react to protect your body from the toxic acid that alcohol produces, and it does this by storing toxicants within your fat cells. Conclusion; you drink alcohol and your body reacts by saving toxicant filled fat cells in your body.... and unfortunately... if you all remember... we are all trying to lose weight and/or stay fit(not store fat cells filled with poison). Oh yea... then a few days per week we work out like crazy, which by the way burns off some of those fat cells containing poison and releases some toxicants back into your body in the process.

I know all this and yet... I would love to have 1 large cold beer..... :ohwell:
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Captain and Coke Zero = 60 Calories...

60 x 4 = 240 Calories... Skip dessert and you and the Captain make it happen!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Captain and Coke Zero = 60 Calories...

60 x 4 = 240 Calories... Skip dessert and you and the Captain make it happen!

Yes, alcohol and artificial sweeteners. 240 calories of poisons and toxins. That's healthy.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    There are some low calorie beers

Budwieser select 55
    MGD 64

They taste a little watered down but for me its a good way to be part of the festivities and not blow my calories. But I am not a big drinker so I am not the best person to advise on this one. (I don't think I have ever finished a beer in my life, unless you count finishing one my husband started.)
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Like your suggestion of tracking it separately. Also like your reward system
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I dislike the word "Toxin(s)"

I need someone to seriously explain these theories better. Use the scientific names of the actual things that are supposedly so bad, so that I may do some research of my own.

Not that I am saying booze isn't bad for you, but I need someone to actually spell it out, rather than say "toxin", "detox", or any other nonsense of the sort.
  • pink_gerbera
    pink_gerbera Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol usually wine or vodka and juice. Maybe its not a good idea whilst I'm trying to lose weight but I find if I deny myself I want something even more. I just track it in my diary, I had a couple of glasses of wine the other night and was slightly over my calories but the rest of the week I'd be on or under, so for me I don't thinki its the end of the world.
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I usually drink vodka and diet coke which is about 50-60 cals a glass or wine. I try to keep within my limit but usually allow myself an extra 200 cals when I go out and may make up for it the day before or after.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I still like my drop of whiskey on the weekends. I just log it in my diary.
    :drinker: