Drinking Alcohol

Options

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I budget for it in my weekly calories, and enjoy it tremendously on the 1-2X per week I drink. I generally drink white sine (I have an allergic reaction to many reds), but I also enjoy GOOD beer and even an occasional margarita, which can easily be 400 calories in one fell swoop.

I make a point to avoid nasty bar food--which is inevitably very fatty-- and drink at least one glass of water for every serving of alcohol I drink.
  • eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Captain and Coke Zero = 60 Calories...

60 x 4 = 240 Calories... Skip dessert and you and the Captain make it happen!

Cracking me up
  • eleonoreOU
    eleonoreOU Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I went to a couples wedding shower last night, and knowing who was gonna be there, I knew there was gonna be plenty of alcohol involved.... I don't drink regularly, but once in while I like to enjoy the night and just go for it...
    I planned ahead and drank plenty of water during the day and kept my calories REALLY low.... I know, you people are gonna tell me that's not healthy that most of my calorie intake came from alcohol but guess what... I still lost weight.

I'm not proud of that by any mean but you know what, once in while (for me it's like a once a month thing) it doesnt hurt. And today I'm back at it and ready to go spend the day at the golf course.
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i drink alcohol regularly (about 2x per week, 2-4 drinks at each time) and i still was able to lose weight. i just account for it in my diary (and feel like a lush doing so, but no one's ever called me out on it lol!) so yeah, drink (in moderation), have fun, and log it all.

no mixed drinks though! stick to beer or wine, or vodka and diet/club soda.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    I love wine and what I have done is pre-plan it into my food diary. That way I know prior to pouring - if I have enough calories left for a glass or two. I also keep it to twice a week - and I look forward to it so much more now!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I count it in my calories. Drink kits of water and work out hard the next day...
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have "dieted" before during which times I did not allow certain food or drink to cross my lips. However, when I finished the "diets" I hadn't learned jack about eating in real world situations. This time around nothing is off the table. I can have anything I want. I still drink vodka & tonic and I still eat chips. I am also cooking more of my own food and finding that healthy options aren't always yucky. I'm losing weight just a little quicker than I put it on and I'm good with that.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Drink...hells yeah! but its why I go over when I do. I really have to limit the amount of days I do...
  • aschultz9
    aschultz9 Posts: 89
    Options
    I have a few beers in the evening several nights a week..it keeps me sane after crazy, stressful work days. It's possibly slowing weight loss, but I would be an ultra b*tchy skinny chic if I didn't. Depending upon what's going on during the weekend, I may have more than a few then.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I do partake in the alcohol on occasion. Lucky for me, it doesn't affect my intake too much because I am a serious lightweight. 2-3 drinks TOPS (beer/wine/sake) and I'm good. If I end up going over at all, it's only about 100 calories or something like that and I don't do it every weekend so it doesn't affect my weight at all.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I dislike the word "Toxin(s)"

I need someone to seriously explain these theories better. Use the scientific names of the actual things that are supposedly so bad, so that I may do some research of my own.

Not that I am saying booze isn't bad for you, but I need someone to actually spell it out, rather than say "toxin", "detox", or any other nonsense of the sort.

Just because you dislike the word 'toxin' does not change the effect to the body.Use Google and search for alcohol and impact to dietary health. You will find that alcohol dehydrates they body and makes the body crave carbs as well. It will also impair your judgment making you more likely to make poor food choices(considering the food choices in a bar of course). You want physical impacts of the 'toxins', look up how the liver is damaged by alcohol. Trying to lean on specific scientific facts as a crutch, does not change the impact these things do to your body that you can FEEL.

I've been at both ends of the drinking spectrum and I would much rather stick to ice tea when I go out these days. If my friends/family think I am crazy to get up the next morning to work out so be it. My response would be I am not the crazy one when you cannot keep up with ME. :laugh:
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    if you mixed UV vodka with shakeology is it still considered healthy... :smile: Never mind... thats just wrong.... seriously drinking alcohol which is primarily and acid based product promotes the storing of toxicants within your fat cells. The more you drink, the more your body will react to protect your body from the toxic acid that alcohol produces, and it does this by storing toxicants within your fat cells. Conclusion; you drink alcohol and your body reacts by saving toxicant filled fat cells in your body.... and unfortunately... if you all remember... we are all trying to lose weight and/or stay fit(not store fat cells filled with poison). Oh yea... then a few days per week we work out like crazy, which by the way burns off some of those fat cells containing poison and releases some toxicants back into your body in the process.

I know all this and yet... I would love to have 1 large cold beer..... :ohwell:

Can you please tell me where you received this information on toxic fat cells?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Alcohol doesn't make you fat, calories do. I drink a couple times a week (wine), I log my calories, I am losing weight. I am not sure I buy into this toxic fat cell theory, but to each their own.
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also drink alcohol. Wine and Chocolate Whipped Vodka are 2 of my favs!! I just account for it and try to drink more water!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love a glass of cabernet or a cold budlite lime during the week. I always work any alcohol in to my calories for the day. I stay away from mixed or frozen drinks because of the calories.

BUT.......this is what I found online earlier this month:

Alcohol is metabolized differently than other foods and beverages. Under normal conditions, your body gets its energy from the calories in carbohydrates, fats and proteins that need to be slowly digested in the stomach—but not when alcohol is present. When alcohol is consumed, it gets special privileges and needs no digestion. The alcohol molecules diffuse through the stomach wall as soon as they arrive and can reach the brain and liver in minutes. This reaction is slightly slowed when there is also food in your system, but as soon as the mixed contents enter the small intestine, the alcohol grabs first place and is absorbed quickly. The alcohol then arrives at the liver for processing. The liver places all of its attention on the alcohol. Therefore, the carbohydrates (glucose) and dietary fats are just changed into body fat, waiting to be carried away for permanent FAT STORAGE in the body.

Beer belly anyone?
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Gin & Slimline Tonic for me about 70cal for a single. Have a tall glass with plenty of ice & straw, takes longer to drink.

I don't drink very often 1 or 2 times a month, as this is meamt to be a lifelong change i'm not going to deny myself. Sure alcohol is'nt good for the body but neither is a lot if stuff, but a little every now & then is sensible if it means sticking to your life plan.

I don't buy into 'toxins' i'm sure the air i breathe living in a major city is doing more damage than the odd but of alcohol.

I would say do whats right for you, if you drink log it be aware of what you consume & make a plan to deal with the consequence
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Gin & Slimline Tonic for me about 70cal for a single. Have a tall glass with plenty of ice & straw, takes longer to drink.

I don't drink very often 1 or 2 times a month, as this is meamt to be a lifelong change i'm not going to deny myself. Sure alcohol is'nt good for the body but neither is a lot if stuff, but a little every now & then is sensible if it means sticking to your life plan.

I don't buy into 'toxins' i'm sure the air i breathe living in a major city is doing more damage than the odd but of alcohol.

I would say do whats right for you, if you drink log it be aware of what you consume & make a plan to deal with the consequence
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I drink alcohol. i just make sure that is it is accounted for. It has not hampered my efforts thus far.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    totally agree! :drinker:
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I do it all the time. I just log it and try to keep my drinking to 2x per week. :D

Probably slowing my progress... but damn it, I'm a single woman in a college town, and I freakin' love booze!

Amen, Sista!! To be honest--in college I lost weight because I was cutting food calories for booze...definitely not the healthiest approach...buuuut....

Anyway, just plan ahead and make sure to eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies on a day you plan on drinking.