Staying Under Calorie Goal Challenge

Options

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Exactly. If you're trying to lose weight, your goal calories should not be set below your BMR but at your BMR. This is what you burn just lying around. If you're eating under it, it's the same as eating under 1200. Your body considers itself to be starving because it's burning way more calories than it's absorbing. Yes there should be a deficit but your net shouldn't go below your BMR. According to this site, my BMR is 1244 so I set my goal at 1250. That number goes up to about 1880 once I add in my exercise. My net at the end of the day ends up being around 1250 and I'm still losing weight =]
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    Tuesday - 300 calories left :)
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Tuesday- 215 under goal. Yay!
  • bethymay123
    Options
    Tuesday- 328 left. Even after mcdonald for lunch.
  • bethymay123
    Options
    Bout 250 under today
  • sexyjeans
    sexyjeans Posts: 49
    Options
    Sorry I was MIA yesterday--not a good one. Over 600 left today. I exercised 540 off and skipped my usual wine with dinner, which always adds waaay to many calories. Here's to cleaner eating. :-)

BTW...I know not eating enough is not healthy. I'm just trying to find balance. Eating when I'm hungry and not just because "I have calories left to eat". As I start eating better...I'll get a sense of where I need to be to lose weight.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Sorry I was MIA yesterday--not a good one. Over 600 left today. I exercised 540 off and skipped my usual wine with dinner, which always adds waaay to many calories. Here's to cleaner eating. :-)

BTW...I know not eating enough is not healthy. I'm just trying to find balance. Eating when I'm hungry and not just because "I have calories left to eat". As I start eating better...I'll get a sense of where I need to be to lose weight.

Just the fact that you know this speaks volumes =] A little over a year ago, I arrived home from a cruise with no appetite. This had never happened to me. Since I wasn't hungry I barely ate 600 calories a day, and yet somehow I still exercised. Then I started P90X and upped my calories and my weight went way up, and not just because of muscle. Even a few months ago, I was only eating when I felt hungry and when I started counting calories I realized I was barely making it to 800 - 1000 calories =\. Today, I eat anywhere from 1880-2000, with my deficit, it leaves 1250 calories for my body to actually absorb. The best way I can put it for most to understand is that if you only eat 1200 and burn 600 from exercise, that only leaves 600 for you body to use in order to funtion (breath, grow hair, move and so on) Your BMR is what you would burn if you were to just stay in bed all day. Your net on MFP shouldn't be below your BMR. As long as people know this and are working on eating clean and eating more healthfully not just in terms of food but in terms of calories for their bodies, then we're all on the right path =]
  • khrys1
    Options
    Thursday- 285 over calories- will do better tomorrow!
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am new to the board and just saw this challenge. Is it too late to join?
  • bethymay123
    Options
    670 calories left for today
  • bethymay123
    Options
    Never too late
  • sexyjeans
    Options
    I am new to the board and just saw this challenge. Is it too late to join?
    Nope. Anyone can hop in anytime. Welcome!
  • sexyjeans
    Options
    Thursday- 285 over calories- will do better tomorrow!
    Happy St. Patty's Day. Great job tracking! Have a great Friday. :smile:
  • sexyjeans
    Options
    Bowing out of this thread. Don't need the judgement. Thanks & good luck to all!
  • khrys1
    Options
    Friday- 260 under, and passed up going out to eat so I could control what foods I was eating. Made up a little bit for yesterday....
  • khrys1
    Options
    Bowing out of this thread. Don't need the judgement. Thanks & good luck to all!

What? Who is judging you? We'll miss you!
  • bethymay123
    Options
    I had 1301 left today, although it might look bad as a number by its self I ate more than I usually do. I just did alot more burning today than usual aso.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    trying to see who can under eat the most severely seems like a very unhealthy idea. Very much sending red flag/eating disorder messages with this.

JUST my humble opinion...
  • khrys1
    Options
    Saturday- 964 left- the most I've ever had. Exercised a TON today- almost 600 calories! And have a family birthday party tomorrow.... since my favorite thing is cake, wanted to save up some calories for that! Hope everyone had a good day!
  • khrys1
    Options
    trying to see who can under eat the most severely seems like a very unhealthy idea. Very much sending red flag/eating disorder messages with this.

JUST my humble opinion...

We're not having a competition to see who can be under by the most- it was started to encourage people to be at or under their daily calories. It looks like the person who started the thread has dropped out because she was feeling judged- maybe read the initial posting before thinking that we're trying to encourage an eating disorder!!!