Remind me how bad even diet soda is please

Options
13»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Momma says diet soda is the devil....

i love this quote... reminds me of how i like to call cars "the devilbox" (and i call myself momma sometimes too (cuz it's funneh))
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Soft drink companies spend millions creating demand for their useless products in third world countries, by buying their product you are supporting the expolitation of the planet's most vulnearble people. Drink water.
    i wish there were a way to "upvote"
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    even though there is no sugar in diet soda, our bodies have 'adapted' so well to our s#!%&y diet that studies are showing that we release insulin even in the presence of 'fake' sugars... this means that when your brain tastes something sweet, insulin gets released. Insulin in the blood stream aids in laying down fat. So, yeah, you can still get fat by drinking diet soda. If that isn't enough motivation, consider the mineral loss in your bones. Keep drinking soda (diet or otherwise) and you will be fat with weak bones... how's that? helpful?

Ditto! I believe it also helps promote tooth decay, metabolic syndrome (look that one up for motivation!) and promotes fat stores around the belly, and high blood pressure. Are any of these things important to you? Also lately they have discovered that the caramel coloring promotes Cancer, I think, too! Do you really want to drink chemicals and have these problems? As Dr. Oz says about your diet, you can either use the "medicine" in your fridge to prevent heart disease or you can go see him for a cardiac bypass to try and save your life from all the damage that you have done to yourself and could have prevented by eating right.......... Everybody gets a wake up call. When do you want yours? When you can still change your future or after it is too late and turns in to a life or death situation. Our clocks are all ticking and no one knows when they will stop. Now have that soda! = D

Here are a few quick links that I found:

http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/health_articles/diet_soda
    http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/02/07/diet-soda-and-metabolic-syndrome
    http://www.commercialfreechildhood.org/news/dietsoda.htm
    http://heartdisease.about.com/od/diabetesmetabolicsynd/a/metabolic_pop.htm
    http://www.blogher.com/new-study-links-diet-soda-metabolic-syndrome-diabetes-and-heart-disease
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I know I should probably cut back to a diet soda once a week, or something.

However, It does not make me crave sweets. In fact I've pretty much used Diet Soda as a crunch to quit eating and drinking more destructive things.

I'll probably eventually quit all together, but mentally I'm not ready to address that. Part of me says I'm entitled to one vice in this world and if it's Diet Mt Dew...so be it.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    You do know that there are carcinogens in the very air you breath,they also say they are in deoderant,make up,water bottles...ect ect
    I drink diet soda ive lost 45 pounds I really dont think it caused weight gain in me. Ive also had my heart checked out due to something unrelated to soda and its in great shape!!!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    How about this: My step dad drank 2 2 liters of diet coke a day for years. He died of a heart attack at 48.

Diet soda is TERRIBLE for you.

Sorry for your loss, and you know for a fact that it was the diet coke that caused his heart attack. I drink it everyday and not just 1 or 2 cans and I don't have the effects that some of these people are saying. I think each person is different. I will not stop drinking it, in fact I'm going to go and have one right now for my break.

Our bodies are amazing in the repair work that they do behind the scenes for us. They keep fighting off disease while we don't have a care in the world or any indication that anything is wrong until that one day...... I've heard it said (and this is not in relation to drinking diet soda) but often enough the very first sign of heart disease is when that person just keels over and drops dead. That is evidence of one serious problem going on that the person never had a clue about. It might be comforting to think that "those things" are not affecting us, but in reality, we don't really know if they are or if they aren't until later on.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would have to say if you notice diet drinks having an adverse effect on you then you should stop,untill I see something that says without a doubt this is bad for you (like ciggaretes) i will not put so much faith in what they found in mice.
    Nobody is going to react the same to something,I say if you see that it gives you cravings,high blood pressure bloating then by all means quit

Word up! I cut way down, from drinking only diet soda to one a day, and drinking sugar free drink mixes in water (with more of that pesky aspertame). No bizarre cravings, high blood pressure, etc.

All things considered, if a caffeine addiction is my worst vice, I'm doing pretty good.
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was addicted (didn't know it until I gave it up).

When I quit 10 pounds melted off!!!! NO EXTRA EFFORT!!!!

My joints feel better too!!!

Just try to quit *and don't replace it with other diet drinks* for 2-3 weeks to see if it makes a difference for you, It's worth a try and you might like the results!!!
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's just not good for you period. Be it the sodium, aspartamine or carbon. I will have one once in a while but really if you're trying to loose weight or get fit try to ONLY drink water MOST of the time. A diet soda once in a while isn't going to kill you.
    The only think I have heard really is that aspartimine and other artificial sweetners have been found to lead to cancer...THAT scares me because God knows...all roads lead to cancer. I rather not consume something that is on the list at least on the regular.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    The diet stuff YUCK, its the real stuff I have a problem with! I can hear a coke can pop open from 200 yards and OOOH does it sound good! My downfall is fountain soda, like Sonic happy hour ,ARRGG!! I've been off them cold turkey for 6 days now and I do notice a difference but the caffine headaches are a bear! GOOD LUCK!!:smile:
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Contains aspartame which is rat poison. Puts holes in your brain. Enjoy.
    God must really love stupid people, because he certainly put enough of them on this Earth. :huh: Some people will believe anything that they're told.

You have to wonder about people who have to resort to name calling. Comical that you are trying to insult somebody but wind up insulting yourself. You haven't done all of this research on your own...so you obviously belong to the group of people "who will believe anything that they're told".
    And I suppose that you have done the research that shows that aspartame is actually rat poison? I'm sorry, but when somebody throws up a blatantly untrue statement like that and actually believes it, I feel compelled to comment on it. Comparing aspartame to arsenic or warfarin has to be one of the stupidest comments that I have heard today. (Although the day is still young...)

Hey man, I'm not trying to act like I'm an all knowing expert/reseacher. I only shared how I came to my conclusion just like the other poster. I have no idea how the poster is connecting rat poison & aspartame. Why not ask where he/she got his info and articulate your response in a more respectful manner? I don't want to be disrespected and I don't like seeing other people being disrespected. You can disagree and still be polite.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Here is the American Cancer Society's view on the possible link between aspartame and cancer;

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame
    Aspartame is one of the most common artificial sweeteners in use today. It is sold under the brand names NutraSweet® and Equal®. Aspartame is composed mainly of 2 amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and are found naturally in many foods.

Rumors claiming that aspartame causes a number of health problems, including cancer, have been around for many years. Many of these continue to circulate on the Internet.

In the United States, artificial sweeteners such as aspartame are regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). These products must be tested for safety and approved by the FDA before they can be used. The FDA also sets an acceptable daily intake (ADI) for each sweetener, which is the maximum amount considered safe to consume each day during a person's lifetime. The ADI is set to be about 100 times less than the smallest amount that might cause health concerns, based on studies done in lab animals.

The FDA has set the ADI for aspartame at 50 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) of body weight. (In the European Union, the European Food Safety Authority has recommended a slightly lower ADI for aspartame, at 40 mg/kg.)

To put the ADI for aspartame in perspective, this would be 3,750 milligrams per day for a typical adult weighing 75 kilograms (about 165 pounds), far more than most adults take in daily. A can of diet soda usually contains about 180 milligrams of aspartame, so a typical adult would have to drink about 21 cans of diet soda a day to go over the recommended level.

Most studies in people have not found that aspartame use is linked to an increased risk of cancer.

One early study suggested that an increased rate of brain tumors in the US during the 1980s might have been related to aspartame use. However, according to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the increase in brain tumor rates actually began back in the early 1970s, well before aspartame was in use. And most of the increase was seen in people age 70 and older, a group that was not exposed to the highest doses of aspartame, which might also make this link less likely. Other studies have not found an increase in brain tumors related to aspartame use.

In the largest study of this issue, researchers from the NCI looked at cancer rates in more than 500,000 older adults. The study found that, compared to people who did not drink aspartame-containing beverages, those who did drink them did not have an increased risk of lymphomas, leukemias, or brain tumors.

Expert agencies in the United States and elsewhere that have evaluated aspartame have found it safe for use.

Though research into a possible link between aspartame and cancer continues, these agencies agree that studies done so far have not found such a link.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Hey man, I'm not trying to act like I'm an all knowing expert/reseacher. I only shared how I came to my conclusion just like the other poster. I have no idea how the poster is connecting rat poison & aspartame. Why not ask where he/she got his info and articulate your response in a more respectful manner? I don't want to be disrespected and I don't like seeing other people being disrespected. You can disagree and still be polite.
    Point taken. The next time that a person posts an obviously inflammatory reply containing information that I consider to be false, I shall attempt to engage this person in a reasonable discourse and politely inquire as to the source of the above mentioned erroneous information before questioning whether or not their parents were brother and sister. :wink:
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    carl1738, sorry to jump all over your *kitten*...you are funny though
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I am currently at one can every other day but I know this can easily escalate to a liter every day. Soda is something that can lead me to have no self control and I know once its out of my life I will enjoy water more and have it more. I could have googled this but I thought I might listen better if you all let me have it. I'm saving this. Thank you again.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Here is the American Cancer Society's view on the possible link between aspartame and cancer;

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame
    Wish I could upvote posts.