insanity! anyone have not so great results?

Options
We all know that great results is possible with this program..but I'm looking for the negative reviews..what did u feel u didn't like from the program...and whether u were someone who did not see the results everyone talks about...I just ordered the program and am very excited..but there is always a bad side to everything..and I'm just interested in the info..thank you:)
LAURA

Replies

• tlschlp
    tlschlp Posts: 54
    Options
    I have INSANITY and I LOVE IT!!!! Have I seen results? Actually, due to "real life", I bonked after the first month. :(

But, the only thing I can think of that might be considered 'negative' is that INSANITY is pure cardio - no strength training/weight lifting. And, even though I do not lift very heavy, I missed the weights.

So, if you are really into weight training, I would reconsider INSANITY.

I think I found a 'happy medium' by mixing INSANITY with ChaLEAN Extreme ... the best of both worlds!

Trudy
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think the only way you could not see results is if you were already in phenomenal shape or if you didn't give it your all or follow the diet plan. Losing weight is 80% diet related.
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Yea I have heard the weight training part..but actually I'm fine with that! I actually need the cardio and have a weight lifting dvd so I am ok there:) thanks for ur guys input..some may think its odd to ask such a question about a great system, but u never know lol
  • PokenStick
    PokenStick Posts: 204
    Options
    It's about what you put into it. Give it all you got and you will get results, every time. Half *kitten* it, get half assed results, every time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity, although don't follow the diet or schedule, just mix the workouts in with other stuff I do. I don't really understand the critique that there is no strength training. There are parts that are most certainly bodyweight strength training. All the squatting stuff and push-up type stuff is just that. It doesn't use weights, but do a little googling on bodyweight training and you will find people who have build amazing bodies just using bodyweight exercises. For me the only weakness in Insanity is that if you have joint problems there is no lower impact option presented. Thankfully it doesn't really bother my particular knee problem, but I have heard of a few people who could not do specific thing like lunges who disliked the fact that he did no present options. That is one of the strengths of P90x in my opinion, although I really dislike P90x and couldn't keep with it at all for me that was a personal preference thing, not any comment on how good a workout P90x gives.

Overall I like Insanity and as someone said, I can't imagine not getting results from it if you actually do it.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity and my only beef with it is that there isn't enough variety. There are only 3 workouts in the first month, mixed in with recovery dvds and so you repeat at least 1 sometimes 2 videos a week. Too repetitive and gets boring fast, I am already moving on to month 2 dvd's on week 2 just for variety!

That being said, it doesn't lie when it says that it is the hardest workout ever put on dvd. It seriously is *kitten* kicking, and i don't see how you could possibly not see results if you do it at all!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I am starting it soon. The only think I have heard is that the schedule wears you out. I think it depends on the person but I can see why. I have seen people kind of set there own schedule with the dvds and other workouts.
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Wow I'm really glad noone completed the prgram and didn't see anything come out of it..that makes me more excited lol! So how far into the prgram diod u start seeing results?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm really glad noone completed the prgram and didn't see anything come out of it..that makes me more excited lol! So how far into the prgram diod u start seeing results?

Huh?
    I completed the program and got good results. My issue isn't with the program, but with myself. I didn't eat enough while doing the straight 63 days. So, I only lost 3 pounds. I went down two inches from my waist though. Also, the program was hard on my knees. I recommend it, but it's not easy at all.
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Did I word that wrong? Lol sorry if I did..I met to say I'm glad everyone saw the results everyone expected..I tried it once at the gym and I know its hard..but I'm ready for the challenge! I hope I lose about 3 inches from my lower tummy, lov handles and lower hips..id be sooo happy...!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Did I word that wrong? Lol sorry if I did..I met to say I'm glad everyone saw the results everyone expected..I tried it once at the gym and I know its hard..but I'm ready for the challenge! I hope I lose about 3 inches from my lower tummy, lov handles and lower hips..id be sooo happy...!

I had to read it a few time to understand what you had written.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I appreciate Insanity for what it is...a kick a** cardio workout. What it lacks, and you already know this, is a solid strength training component. I felt like I lost quite a bit of upper body strength during my 60 days of Insanity.

I didn't lose a ton of weight, but I was already in pretty good shape prior to starting (did Insanity after 3 rounds of P90X/P90X+). I did, however, lean out considerably and was starting to get a nice 'cut' in my abs. In the final week, I was doing some sort of move from plank position and fell to the floor in absolute agony. Truly...worse pain I've experienced. Turns out I tore an intercostal ligament. Took 8 weeks to heal...sucked. I also found it to be very, very rough on my knees.

I won't do another 60 day 'round,' of the program, and I seriously doubt I'll do Insanity Asylum. That said, I appreciate the program for what they are and what they can provide for people.
  • ashleyjsmith
    ashleyjsmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried Insanity twice and I have given up... twice. I found myself getting so exhausted that I wasn't giving it my "all." I went back to the elliptical, treadmill, and strength training instead. I know insanity works (I have friends who love it) but I just couldn't keep up. You really have to give it everything you have! Unfortunately, it just wasn't the right program for me.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Insanity! I'll actually finish my first round on March 17th and I look forward to doing it again (after a short break) as more of a hybrid.

Cons:
    -Hard on the joints (I'm not gonna lie, all of the jumping can really wear on the knees...but you can modify moves as needed)
    -Similar moves throughout (some times it can get boring doing the same kinds of moves or the same workout over and over...which is why I'm doing a hybrid for my 2nd round)
    -Length of workouts (by the 2nd month you average about an hour per workout...some days when you have double workouts you are closer to an 1 1/2 hours. It can be tricky for your schedule...but still totally do-able. It is less time consuming than P90X.)
    -Challenging (Some of the moves are very draining/challenging. This may cause a lot of people to quit. I can honestly tell you that nothing feels better than getting through the workout and knowing that you did it.)
    -The workouts can seem exhausting and you will feel like you want to give up. (DON'T DO IT! Get you butt off of the floor, wipe the sweat off your face, and keep going. Your endurace will be through the roof! I can jog so much longer and farther now that I have been doing Insanity than I would have every have been able to do before. It is great cardio conditioning.)

Pros:
    -Shaun T. is VERY motivational and encouraging (he always reminds you to go at your own pace inspires you to dig deeper)
    -It is nice to see super-in-shape people falling on the floor because they are so worn out (just like me)
    -The second month builds on the first month and your endurance really goes through the roof
    -The schedule is very easy to follow and offers great results
    -You don't need weights so you can do the workout any where you have a TV/computer (my husband actually does it in hotel rooms when he is working out of town)
    -You use your own body weight to build/define lean muscle (I've got some good biceps just from the push-ups...and the squats are great for the legs)
    -Some of the workouts are just plain fun (especially the Sports Conditioning)
    -Built in days for recovery and days off
    -Periodic Fit Test to help you track your progress and get you to push yourself more
    -Great results!!! The whole program is only 60 days (counting days off and cardio recovery days) and in that time you will see serious changes! I'm still not finished with the program but I have lost 10+ lbs and an amazing 11 inches!!! (see pictures below)

Slide1-4.jpg
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Awesome! I'm so glad everyone has given their opinions..it really helps alot:)
  • saguate
    saguate Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The first round on Insanity I got good results, not much in weight department but definitely dropped inches. Keep in mind I didn’t follow the diet plan at all. Still ate what I wanted, which include burgers and like junk food. Plus I was your classic couch potato.

Now I am on month two (week 2) of back to back months of Max Insanity. I figured if I skipped the first month’s program and replaced it with Max Insanity right off the bat I would see quicker results. I was wrong but yet again I didn’t follow the meal plan.

I took two weeks off because I got sick really sick with the flu. During that time I joined MFP, read all the posts here and other sites related to Insanity and fix the problem. My diet…

It’s not the program that doesn’t work, it one’s lack of commitment to the whole program. I now have a heart rate monitor that tracks my calorie burn. It also tells me how much time I stay in my HR Zone. This is key to keeping track of your progress. With MFP I can increase or cut back on my calorie intake to stay on track.

With that said, my progress will speak for itself. My main goal is to hit 6% body fat not bulk up.
    HT: 6’1”
    SW: 210
    CW: 196
    GW: 185
    Avg. Calorie burn: 950 (except for recovery days – 550)

The first 10lbs were lost because I was sick and on a chicken noodle soup diet for 2 weeks, and didn’t work out a single day. Not healthy but I had the flu of a lifetime so could not control how I lost the weight nor did I try to loose weight.

I lost the next 4 lbs last week when I corrected my diet and now I’m shedding the fat around my belly. Now that I have accountability of my calorie intake and I feel more optimistic of my 6% body fat goal. I just checked this morning and I have lost one inch off my waist from my measurement this past Sunday. I try to take my measurements each Sunday but the change has been so notable, I couldn’t help but check.

I’m still not following the meal plan because I like the food I cook better but I am staying to 1800-1900 calorie count per day. Eating very lean and 5 times a day every 3 hours or so. There are no short cuts to Insanity. You either follow it and get great results or kill yourself doing the workout, only upset that you didn’t get the results you expected. I speak from experience. I’m not a fitness expert or coach, just an everyday Joe trying to get in shape.

5350950.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Bethany1180
    Options
    I am on week 3 day 3 of the Insanity program. When I started...I was in NO kind of shape. I work in an office. I don't exercise, I wasn't eating right and I realized I was unhappy with myself and my appearance and needed to do something about it. I'm impulsive and impatient. I bought this program and began immediately. I reduced my caloric intake to 1100-1200/day and began drinking more water (you NEED it if you're going to do Insanity because you WILL sweat profusely!). Let me tell you, the first day (the fit test) I thought I was going to die but wasn't about to give up. I was sore for the first few days and it gradually became a bit less intense. I'm still no where near where I want to be but I lost 13 lbs in my first two weeks. This program is about dedication, commitment and pushing yourself. Do your best, try your best and be your best and you WILL see results. My coworkers mentioned that I looked slimmer, my clothes are already fitting differently and I feel better! I won't lie, it hurts. It burns, your muscles and lungs are SCREAMING, the sweat is literally pouring off your body and your heart is pumping but it's mind over matter and remember that you can do it. Shaun T is motivational but stern and reminds you to take a break when necessary. It does NOT get easier. The longer you do it, the more reps you can do so you're taking your body to a whole new level each time. There are days when I want to give up and you will too but remember for those 40 minutes you could be watching tv, you could be getting yourself into amazing shape. Trust me if I can do it anyone can, REALLY!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Everyones results will be different. I was already an athlete and in great shape when i started it, for me it greatly improved my edurance! I am now in Insanity Asylum and within 3 weeks i have noticed that I am crazy toned now!!!! Its amazing. I suggest once you finish insanity defintely get asylum, you wont regret it!
  • norourke1130
    Options
    I just completed the 60 days and while there are some great results as far as strength and ability I dont see this great transformaion from beginning to end. I started out at 111 and ended at 108. I was not cut up like they said I would be. I get my butt kicked daily for 63 days and I thought for the work I put in... I should be slamming! :(
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight doing Insanity, however, I did NOT like month 2 workouts. IMO they are WAY too long. HIIT is great, but there is simply no reason to go for 45-55 minutes. I also missed strength training and felt that I actually ended up "skinny fat" due to the excessive cardio in this program. I prefer a more balanced program of compound lifting and 30-40 cardio, at most, on non lifting days. Just my 2 cents, of course!