Men doing Zumba

Options
My fiance would love to try Zumba with me tonight (it would be first time for both of us), but he's worried about being the only man in the class. His concerns are that people will think he's a creeper or think it's too feminine for men. We live in a pretty small community and it's a small gym, so I think it will mostly be all-female class.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend goes with me sometimes...he's a guy's guy and most of the other guys in the class are older or gay. However, none of the girls care at all and he does it just to hang out with me when he can't play basketball with his friends. I wouldn't worry about it as long as he doesnt' act creepy, no one will think he is!
  • melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do zumba 4 times a week and there are usually 1 or 2 (straight) guys in each class! If anything, the women will think he's a really awesome guy for coming with you! My hubby's been wanting to come but we're (I'm) too chicken to leave our daughter in the child care center while we work out so we go to the gym in shifts :)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My husband thought this same thing when he tried Aqua Fit with me... and granted he WAS the only guy in there... but the instructor made comment about it.. and that was it... and he felt fine... and enjoyed the class and now goes every week with me...

Oh the comment the instructor made was

- We were doing side reaches in the pool, where you reach to one side then the other... and he called out my husband and said

"You should move to them middle, then you will have girls tickling you from each side"
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Zumba we designed by a man, if that helps. Couldn't tell ya' if he's straight or not...

Here's the thing.. the moves (like in alot of dances) are modified for men because their center of gravity is different. So, maybe watch some youtube videos just to get an idea of what those modifications look like. :) Otherwise, he might feel a little girly with some of the pelvic work.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small town Zumba class as well, and we usually have at least 2 husbands. The men modify some of the moves to make it more appropriate for their male bodies, but they seem to be sweating as much as the women, and enjoying it too! Zumba is for everyone. Beta, the founder, is a man!
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small town too...with a huge Zumba following! The instructors are husband and wife. There are men in the class; two husbands, a boyfriend, a guy that usually comes by himself and two gay guys. It's quite a mix of people/abilities/lifestyles and ages! That's what I love about Zumba!!! It's for everyone!

The men do sometimes alter the movements a little, so it's not so "hipp-y".
  • Lenig12
    Lenig12 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm encouraging him to go; he's interested just nervous about how others will feel. Fortunately, he's the kind of guy who can look like a fool and laugh at himself. I've told him to just see how it goes tonight and if he's not comfortable, then he can go to the fitness room or pool or something. Definitely don't want him feeling awkward but I want him to do the class if he wants.

Thanks for all the feedback :-)