To many friends not enough support

Options
I think I need to clean up my friends list a little. I got people on my list in which I have never seen or heard from. I also got folks on here which I try to support, motivate, and offer a kind word or two that never return the gesture. This isn't Facebook I'm not trying to see how many friends I can collect. I want people who I can support and who will do the same for me. Some folks just taking up space from people who can really use some support! Does anyone else have this problem with there MFP circle? Do you think it's better to have a small group of friends compared to a big one?

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    You know I never really thought about how I as a someones friend on here could truly support them until someone posted something on their homepage about cleaning up their friends list for the very same reasons you mention in your post. Then I got it and have since been cheering people on, supporting, responding, etc. And from that I also take more control of my own situation too you know?

So yes, I think that if that is what you truly want out of your friends list on MFP then you have every right to clean up your list.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Is there a limitation on how many friends you can have?
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree with you 100%.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Some people are friend hoarders. I'm only going to add people who have a msg when they add me. I get so many random adds and then never hear from those people.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    And I know it shouldn't really matter cause your doing this for yourself and nobody else. But I just get tired of going to the same peoples page saying way to go good job and never seeing those people take the time to do the same for me. I just feel if your not trying to offer support what is the point in friending someone?
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I myself, feel like I don't support people enough on here, but that's purely because I have a small child and I don't get on here all day / every day. I check it in the morning and at night(some times I don't get on at all ><). So before you do delete people, if you can, find out / think about what their lives may be like. But of course, if you do feel completely shafted by someone that you constantly offer comments / support to, and get nothing in return, by all means, sponges like that aren't welcome in anyones life ;)

I should add.

Surround yourself with people that you want to be like :)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    Some people are friend hoarders. I'm only going to add people who have a msg when they add me. I get so many random adds and then never hear from those people.

You have the right idea, because I would add anyone who sends a request because I feel I need all the support I can get it and I am willing to take the time to do the same for others, but I see it's not always a fare exchange.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Doh, also. I should say *L*

I actually use the iphone app and it actually tells you how long it's been since a person has logged in in your list of friends. I make it a rule that if it's someone I don't really know / see and they've been off for more than 2 months. I delete them. If it's someone I actually talked to / liked, I give them a little longer before I remove them :)
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I did the exact same thing this past weekend. I went to my friends list and looked on each of their profiles. Many had not logged on in days, weren't keeping up with their food or exercise diaries, had deactivated their accounts, never made any comment whatsoever, let alone they ever having one word of encouragement for me. I deleted all those people. I am very serious about this. I spend a lot of time planning, shopping, finding healthy recipes, logging my food, fitting exercise into my day, etc. I don't have time for people that don't take this seriously...they are road blocks to me. I call the "delete" button my magic wand!! POOF....THEY DISAPPEAR!!:laugh:
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    I myself, feel like I don't support people enough on here, but that's purely because I have a small child and I don't get on here all day / every day. I check it in the morning and at night(some times I don't get on at all ><). So before you do delete people, if you can, find out / think about what their lives may be like. But of course, if you do feel completely shafted by someone that you constantly offer comments / support to, and get nothing in return, by all means, sponges like that aren't welcome in anyones life ;)

I should add.

Surround yourself with people that you want to be like :)

I agree and I do understand people have lives I'm not on here everyday or all day myself so I don't expect to see you everyday on my page but this is mostly for the ones who have sent friends request and never been back, the ones I've constantly been commenting and congratulating their efforts not even to receive a WTG in return!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Is there a limitation on how many friends you can have?

Yes, 250.
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think I have wonderful MFP friends! I feel so blessed and lucky that a good majority of them are very supportive. I'm hoping that I am able to share and motivate them as much as they do for me each and every day.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I try to cheer on and support as many people on my friends list that I can
    sometimes its a little tough cuz I have kinda alot of people on my friends lis
    I just try my best not to miss anyone in my feed
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. And I'm about to start deleting left and right. I want to pour part of me into someone who will appreciate it it. True this isn't FB and you would think that all of us are on our P's & Q's but not everybody is truly ready to turn their life around. I don't want to nor will I continue to carry dead weight. This is me taking charge of my life and if you get left on the sidelines during the big game, it's your own fault I say!! PS I will be a friend to a friend who has encouraged me.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know what you mean. I'm one to have only a few friends at a time, that way I won't be overwhelmed by the amount of posts. Even with just a few friends I've had to delete some that I supported on a constant basis, but never heard from one way or the other. I figure, If they cant't take the time to check up on me every now and then, neither can I.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    I am so glad I'm not the only one feeling like this. I know its Fat Tuesday and all but I didn't wanna sound like a fat whiner! Lol
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I do apologize if I'm not supportive enough, I do try and comment on everyone of my friends accomplishments, etc. But I do miss some of them. :frown:
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi! My take is that it doesn't matter the size of your list, but the amount of support you get from them. If you have 200 people and only hear or get support from five of them, cut the rest out. You're on a mission, you have things to do, and when it comes to your health, you have every right to get self-centered and think about doing for yourself. If you're posting comments to others and they don't respond back, cut them as well. It's nothing vicious or personal, it's about you wanting to get to a healthy place.

Likewise, if you can't offer support to the friends on your list, it's better to cut them loose. I'm not saying you have to speak to them every day, but if you have people on your list that you haven't said anything to in weeks, you need to cut them. You're not doing them any justice.

You don't have to have a lot of people supporting you. Successful basketball teams are 10 men deep. Successful football teams are 55 men deep. Jesus was 12 men deep.

God Bless!

Shawn
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi! My take is that it doesn't matter the size of your list, but the amount of support you get from them. If you have 200 people and only hear or get support from five of them, cut the rest out. You're on a mission, you have things to do, and when it comes to your health, you have every right to get self-centered and think about doing for yourself. If you're posting comments to others and they don't respond back, cut them as well. It's nothing vicious or personal, it's about you wanting to get to a healthy place.

Likewise, if you can't offer support to the friends on your list, it's better to cut them loose. I'm not saying you have to speak to them every day, but if you have people on your list that you haven't said anything to in weeks, you need to cut them. You're not doing them any justice.

You don't have to have a lot of people supporting you. Successful basketball teams are 10 men deep. Successful football teams are 55 men deep. Jesus was 12 men deep.

God Bless!

Shawn

Agree!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Options
    I do apologize if I'm not supportive enough, I do try and comment on everyone of my friends accomplishments, etc. But I do miss some of them. :frown:

You do fine and I don't want any of my friends to feel singled out.I know we are all on a mission and life is hectic! I too have ,to be more cautious about biting off more then I could chew so to speak. Cause I only have 45friends and its hard to reach out to everyone.