What do to with that greek yogurt...

Options

Replies

• GoBanana76
    GoBanana76 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    mix a dry ranch dip packet in with it and use it as a veggie dip!!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    So why is everyone all about the greek yogurt, what does it have that plain nonfat yogurt doesn't have...sounds like a bandwagon to me.....6oz of chobani black cherry has 150 cals, which seems rather high to me, and 14g of protein which seems decent. Plain nonfat yogurt, something generic perhaps, has 130 cals in 8 oz (which is more quantity less cals) and 13 g of protein.....only 1g difference. Sounds like clever marketing at work....unless it really tastes better, which i've heard that it tastes like eating sour cream if you get the unflavored kind. Just my .02....reminds me of when i saw the activia commercial saying it has probiotics, when all yogurt has probiotics...is greek yogurt really that more amazing than what we've been eating for years? Or is it clever marketing?

I find the greek yogurt doesn't have a snotty texture like regular yogurt.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    smear it over your body and get hubby to lick it off???? rofl
    sorry....1st thing i thought of!

You are my favorite person of the day so far!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    In Greece we normally eat the yoghurt plain, with sugar or fruits or honey & walnuts.
    Tzatziki is a very popular recipe. My favorite is kebabs dipped in a very hot tomato sauce and the yoghurt as a side to take the heat.
  • sarahmarie0024
    sarahmarie0024 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sour cream substitute, and I mix it with my mashed potatoes instead of using milk and butter.

My understanding is that greek yogurt is a better source of protein over low fat yogurt, but I could be wrong. One of my favorite cookbooks recommends greek yogurt over other ingredients.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt as a dessert with honey, fruit, and a little granola on top.

I also like the Chobani, but Fage is also very good. Chobani makes snack-sized containers for children, and they're 100 calories, which makes them an appropriate between meal snack for me.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    So why is everyone all about the greek yogurt, what does it have that plain nonfat yogurt doesn't have...sounds like a bandwagon to me.....6oz of chobani black cherry has 150 cals, which seems rather high to me, and 14g of protein which seems decent. Plain nonfat yogurt, something generic perhaps, has 130 cals in 8 oz (which is more quantity less cals) and 13 g of protein.....only 1g difference. Sounds like clever marketing at work....unless it really tastes better, which i've heard that it tastes like eating sour cream if you get the unflavored kind. Just my .02....reminds me of when i saw the activia commercial saying it has probiotics, when all yogurt has probiotics...is greek yogurt really that more amazing than what we've been eating for years? Or is it clever marketing?

I find the greek yogurt doesn't have a snotty texture like regular yogurt.

No snotty texture...hahaha!
  • LoveLifeToday
    Options
    Fage 0% Greek Yoghurt, with a sliced banana and a sprinkling of nuts on top is a fabulous breakfast!!
  • katstorm27
    Options
    Someone meantioned a Greek Yogurt bandwagon earlier. I looked up Greek vs the normal stuff and this is what I found out. Thought I would share with everyone.
    Greek yogurt is thicker and richer than regular yogurt, and typically contains lower sugar, higher protein and higher amounts of probiotics. Greek yogurt brands include Fage, Chobani and Oikos. Here’s how they stack up to the regular stuff:

-Fage Total 0% (per ounce): 15 calories, 0 grams fat, 1 gram sugar, 2.5 grams protein, 3 percent of daily calcium requirements

-Dannon All Natural Nonfat, plain flavor (per ounce): 13 calories, 0 grams fat, 2 grams sugar, 1.5 grams protein, 5 percent of daily calcium requirements

As far as bacteria are concerned, Greek yogurt can contain up to six strains of probiotics, while regular yogurt usually contains just two. These high levels aid in converting milk lactose into lactic acid, making it easier to digest, especially for those who are lactose intolerant
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

For me I prefer the texture. Regular yogurt is a bit watery/strange to me.

I like to eat it with some combo of fruit/honey/crunchy dry cereal.

I also make my own tzatziki sauce to top Greek salads by mixing in some shredded cucumber (let drain for a while before mixing in), garlic, black pepper and dill if I have it. Yum!

If anyone is in the Pacific Northwest, the Zoi brand is really good and much cheaper than Fage and Chobani.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    All it is is yogurt with some extra liquid strained out. It has more calories per volume because it has less water. I love it with honey!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I'm with you, I tried on of the Chobani peach ones, but I was not impressed. I ate it, but I liked the taste and texture of regular yogurts. The greek yogurt was to thick, much like eating a thick sour cream and there is very little fruit too.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I strain reg. plain yogurt as well and make homemade blueberry compote, than i have all the makings to make my OWN yogurt & fruit cup for my lunch! :) It's really yummy! You could also add flavoring (lemon extract, vanilla, etc...) if you wanted to get REALLY fancy!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options

I think the thing about the greek yogurt is that it has no added fake stuff. Like Yoplait Light is full of artificial sweetners and artificial flavors. Chobani (which i love and only discovered a week ago) uses natural fruit pectin and no artificial sweeteners. For me it seems a healthier choice. And i do really like the taste better! Yoplait original has a crazy amount of sugar in comparison.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing my 6oz 0% plain chobani greek yogurt with 1/4 cup crushed pineapple (no sugar added) and 1/2 cup Kashi go Lean cereal...I love it!! I mix the yogurt and pineapple the night before, add the cereal right before I eat it. It's my new favorite breakfast!!
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just love that thick creamy texture! It reminds me of the custard style yogurt that I think Yoplait makes? But a few less calories and no fat, woot!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I mix 6 oz greek yogurt with 2 tsp sugar free, fat free jello pudding mix. I have tried lemon, white chocolate, and cheesecake so far. Cheesecake is my favorite....especially if you put it on top of one sheet of a honeymaid graham cracker. It's like a piece of cheesecake for only 180 Calories!

I also put mine in smoothies...I'm having a banana kiwi smoothie made with yogurt and milk for part of my dinner right now!
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I actually did a taste test on several different brands of greek yogurt that I found at the grocery stores where I live. I didn't see the Fage brand, but I've tried the Yoplait, chobani, athenos, oikos, dannon, kroger store brand and greek god. Hands down, greek god was the best. I usually just eat it by itself but I'm going to try it in some of the different ways that other people suggested.
  • Ashtarot
    Ashtarot Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like mixing it with fine chopped raw garlic, pepper, and paprika to put on my wraps. I like it better than mayo on sandwiches now.It lends just the right amount of tangy/spiciness so my wraps don't get boring.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I eat it for the protein, and the texture is a nice bonus...which generic nonfat yogurt have you found with 13g of protein? The most I've ever found in "normal" yogurt was like 3g.