Didn't know I was getting fat till I got fat!!

Options
I have been a thick girl all my life always ate what I wanted but was very active, so I guess it evened itself out. It's funny how I went from thick to fat:noway: without noticing. I mean I was buying bigger size clothes but my excuse was they must run small, didn't own a scale so never bothered to weigh myselfl:embarassed: I had put on an extra 30 pounds and didn't even realize it until I started looking at my Facebook pictures:sad: I could literally see myself getting fatter through my pictures:embarassed:

No one around me had bother to mention I was putting on weight. When I told my mom I was about to start a diet she said "yeah I was wondering when you were gonna do something about that" :explode: My response to her was if you saw I was getting fat why didn't you tell me she says heck I thought you knew how could you not of known when you started having stuff hanging from everywhere:laugh: Hmmm....Maybe I did know and was just in denial:ohwell:

So what was it that made you realize something had to change? Anybody else not realize they were getting fat until they had got fat?

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Fat is ninja like that I swear to god I blinked and next thing you know I was 230 lol
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Ditto, did not realize I had put on 20lbs!! Now I see those 20lbs and the 20 additional pounds that I always carryed!! :-)
  • atucker0821
    atucker0821 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i knew...but like you said i was in denial...extreme denial...i would make one excuse after the other for why "i would start tomorrow"...

but my breaking point was tying my shoes and walking up stairs...neither could be accomplished without a lot of effort...i knew then i needed make a change!!
  • Iris0022
    Iris0022 Posts: 54
    Options
    Started a new job where I sit on my butt for 8 hrs a day and gained 15lbs in 4 months! It can certainly sneak up on ya.
  • Beach_Chica
    Beach_Chica Posts: 111
    Options
    I honestly did not realize that I had gained so much weight back. When I told one of my friends that I needed to lose some weight again, she told me that I didn't need to. Needless to say, I have gained ALL of my sixty pounds back. I knew I was gaining weight, but I wasn't aware HOW much I gained. I can definitely tell now since none of my clothes are fitting.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Fat is ninja like that I swear to god I blinked and next thing you know I was 230 lol

Well if we can't talk Christianity because it is against the rules, than I don't think you should be able to use the Lords name in vain, because that is just as offensive to those of us that are Christians. Please refrain.:bigsmile:

You are working hard and I believe that your heart is in the right place, I respect your feelings, please respect mine also. Thank you.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I started massive hormone therapy, so I ate like I normally did, exercised like a normally did, however, my body did not do what it normally did. Next thing I knew, I was up 20-25 pounds and buying much larger pants (gurrrrrrr haha). Well, I tipped the scale at 160 (Im only five feet tall :( ) and said WOAH THERE SISTER, time to real in the nights of pizza, wings, and alcohol and get on track.

Good luck!!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    The very first time I realized I needed to lose weight, I had reached a point where I couldn't look at myself in the mirror above the sink. It was just my face, I was so disgusted by it. Then I went to WW for the first time and was shocked to see I was at the weight I was when pregnant with my oldest son, (I was 98 when I got pregnant and 167 when I gave birth to him) I went home and just cried and cried, I had no idea I had gained so much weight. I had been skinny most my life, till I got on meds as an adult, so in my mind I still felt skinny. Funny by the time I sustained weight loss and got back to being a healthy weight, I had a hard time registering that in my mind too.
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    I knew I was heavy and having my kids only a year apart I knew I had extra weight from that but I just never knew how much. My turning point was when we got invited to a friends for dinner and I had no pants that fit. Being a stay at home mom I was always in my sweat pants or pajama pants. I cried for hours not having anything to wear. I made my husband buy a scale and cried a lot more when it said 255 lbs! I just didn't understand how I let myself get to that point. I look at pictures from back then and for the life of me I don't understand how I didn't know I was that big.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Well if we can't talk Christianity because it is against the rules, than I don't think you should be able to use the Lords name in vain, because that is just as offensive to those of us that are Christians. Please refrain.:bigsmile:

You are working hard and I believe that your heart is in the right place, I respect your feelings, please respect mine also. Thank you.

lmao you got me there:wink:
  • shockie1
    shockie1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I understand exactly what you mean. I too was in denial because I swore that the clothes were running smaller and smaller unless I purchased them from certain stores. I knew I was gradually picking up pounds. Somedays I felt small and some days I just felt big but I hadn't realized exactly how big I was. It wasn't until I placed my fist on my chest one day and noticed how everything that surrounded my fist (my body) was extremely large. I realized at that point that my heart is working overtime.
  • shockie1
    shockie1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Well said FearAnLoathing
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    it's so true for me too. i have always hated having my picture taken, but it had gotten to the point where it made me really ANGRY when it came to having my picture taken. i couldn't believe that i had gotten so 'fluffy'. i had just become complacent and let myself have whatever whenever i wanted it. i couldn't see it until i really looked at those pictures. now, i'm SO GLAD i did!

good luck to you on your journey!!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Also its easy to not realize if your wearing baggy clothes. Now that I don't wear baggy clothes it quickly becomes obvious when I gain 2-5 pounds.
  • snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    I've had a LOT go on in the last almost 3 years, no surprise that I gained weight during all that, but honestly it was the last thing on my mind because the rest was more serious. In January I decided that I miss a lot of my old clothes that used to fit a year ago. I don't know what clicked, but when I got on the scale at my doctor's office and I saw it go into the 400's I was SHOCKED! I thought I'd never tiptoe into that area! That's when I knew I had to be serious about it and not do this 1/2 way or quit.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your comments and stories I'm glad it wasn't just me in denial. I felt silly when my mom asked how I didn't noticed I had put on so much weight I guess I really didn't wanna notice and was hoping nobody else did! LOL
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also its easy to not realize if your wearing baggy clothes. Now that I don't wear baggy clothes it quickly becomes obvious when I gain 2-5 pounds.

You are so right, I moved to a new state and was out of work for about a year and a half so it wasn't like I was dressing up to sit in the house. Plus I was so depressed I just ate myself to death practically.
  • three36love
    three36love Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm with you girl! I hovered around 140 for the longest time and just assumed I was still there after 4 years of a desk job. Next thing I knew, I was 165 and wondering how the heck those 25lbs got there.
  • cyncynt
    cyncynt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I knew I was getting fat, I was bored , unhappy and food was my pleasure. Its hard to let that go when you don't get satisfaction or pleasure from other areas of your life. Then you get fatter , and start to isolate yourself because you can't get into your skinny clothes and feel major unattractive and not good enough. Its a vicious circle and it keeps spiriling up up and up.....
  • cyncynt
    cyncynt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I knew I was getting fat, I was bored , unhappy and food was my pleasure.