Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat toast and peanut butter + egg beaters
  • Uronlydreaming
    Uronlydreaming Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh so tired of my typical granola and yogurt parfaits...anyone got some fresh and healthy ideas?
    Get a cheap $10 Kitchen Gourmet omelette maker then...

1 egg (75 cals)
    2-3 egg whites (30-45 cal)
    1-2 diced mushrooms (0 cals)
    any other veggies you want, and (0 cals)
    a small strip of cheese down the middle of each (15-20 cals)
    whole wheat eng muffin (optional) (? cals)

makes 2, you're looking at maybe 150 calories. As a guy, I use 5 egg whites
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    You guys have me feeling guilty for my 2 scrambled eggs breakfast. I just hate egg whites alone. Are scrambled eggs really that bad for me? I only have 2 at one sitting.
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I will buy a Whole Grain/Multi Grain Batard (loaf kind of like Italian - but healthy) and will cut that in @ 10 pieces. I'll use Egg Beaters with lowfat milk (1 part egg to 1 part milk), vanilla and cinnamon to make a french toast egg batter. I'll fry all of it and put in a Ziploc. I'm good for a week of french toast. You can freeze it, too. I'll microwave one piece and fry 2 eggs to go with it. Reduced sugar syrup. Quick, easy and always under @ 400 calories. :happy:
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    You guys have me feeling guilty for my 2 scrambled eggs breakfast. I just hate egg whites alone. Are scrambled eggs really that bad for me? I only have 2 at one sitting.

NO! Whole eggs are actually good for you. Don't feel guilty whatsoever. Unless you have a real cholesterol issue, eggs have been blown way out of proportion as to being "bad" for you. They're incredibly good for you. If you feel that guilty, try mixing egg beaters with 1 egg. Tastes great and not as mushy as egg beaters alone.
  • mayasmom
    mayasmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, but I often have cooked brown rice heated in the microwave with a splash of almond milk (could use regular) then add in some dried cranberries (get the real kind, not the ones pumped full of extra sugar!) and slivered almonds. VERY filling and good for you!

My other favorite is cottage cheese w/ frozen blueberries (thawed) and walnuts. Protein...antioxidants...good fats from the nuts...a powerhouse breakfast!!
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    For 175 calories I have one whole egg, one egg white, 2oz canned all white meat chicken, 0.3 oz of 2% shredded cheddar and a little salsa. I either scramble it all up in the skillet or make it like an omelet. It gives me about 25 grams of protein to start my day and keeps me full a long time.
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Fritattas! You can put basically any veg that you have in your house in them (ive used tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, you name it)- its easier than an omelette cuz you dont have to worry about flipping it or anything (just start on the stove and pop in the oven to finish), and depending on the size of your pan you can have breakfast for a couple of days premade, or breakfast/lunch. Plus, you can do it with egg beaters, or use part egg whites and add 1-2 yolks for the flavor of it. super easy, delish, and a great way to get some veggies in early morning!

For my size pan(i think its 8 inch across? not sure) I use:
    1.5 cups spinach
    1/2-1 cup leeks or green onion (just cuz my husband is allergic to regular onion)
    1 tomato
    1 tsp olive oil (but you can use water or stock instead, its just to get the veggies a little softer)
    1-2 cups mushrooms
    1 garlic clove
    8 eggs(with any combo of regular eggs to egg whites)
    if i have blanched asparagus or broccoli on hand i'll throw that in too
    and sometimes a little parmesan cheese, about 2 tbs is enough for the whole thing.
    -Sautee the spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms till they get soft. add the pre-cooked veggies and tomato to warm them up. add the eggs and cook on the stove just until the sides start getting cooked, then pop in a 350 oven for about 5-7 mins to finish up cooking the eggs and youre all done!

keep in mind that you can do this with anything so it never gets boring!
    -southwest with green chili, tomato, corn and black beans
    -ham/sausage and cheese
    -mediterranean style with bell pepper, onion, feta, olives and tomato
    the list goes on!

Another great idea is to follow almost the same instructions, but instead of mixing it all stovetop, sautee the veggies then mix with eggs and pour in a muffin tin (with or without the cute muffin holders) and bake for 15-20 mins- the end result is a crustless quiche that is already portioned perfectly for a morning meal- just add some fresh fruit and you are good to go!

Hope you find this post helpful:)

haha, had to edit this...realized i put 1 tbsp instead of 1 tsp >< that might just make a difference lol.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    steel oats,banana,and plain low fat yogurt
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options

Do one whole egg, and 2 egg whites. Won't tell the difference :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patty on a whole wheat english muffin. Yummy.
  • CNYKrista
    CNYKrista Posts: 61
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs, diced red and peppers, 1 ounce part skim mozzarella, a little garlic powder and pepper.
  • Llopez7809
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great idea's! I just started using MFP this week and i love the site. Breakfast is the toughest meal of the day for me because i am always short on time and quickly run out of ideas so thanks again for the info!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Keep Multigrain Cherrios in the house...I absolutely love them with some skim milk and a little cup of fresh fruit...It has your iron that you need for the entire day and they taste so good
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Poached egg, sprinkling of low fat shredded cheese, on wheat toast. Scrambled egg (with one additional egg white) with lots of sauted (with Pam) veggies- onion, pepper, mushrooms, spinach, tomato, etc. Sometimes add a little shredded cheese to this too.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the oatmeal and stewed cranberries is good with it too.
    :wink:
  • jenipaige1
    Options
    I love oatmeal too! Try this.... add vanilla extract and cinnamon to the water, when you take it of f the heat to cover, add fresh blue berries..... so delicious!
  • Tere23
    Tere23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out the hungry girl 1-2-3 cookbook. they have tons of recipes and breakfast recipes you can make right in the microwave like egg casseroles and french toast bowls.
  • gokate1
    gokate1 Posts: 40
    Options
    1 THOMAS mini 100 calorie whole wheat bagel with some laughing cow cheese spread onto it: 135 cals
    or Nutella on toast
    or Chobani yogurt
    or Luna protein Bar
    or a piece of bacon and a hard boiled egg
  • LovelyTasha
    Options

What gets you into trouble with egg yolks is the cholesterol. One whole egg is nearly your entire daily allowance of cholesterol. The egg white however, is all protein. Think of it this way, the calorie count for a full egg is roughly 75, but an egg white alone is only 15 and it's full protein.

However, don't take this as me telling you not to. I frequently have eggs with the yolk still in them because the body does need a little fat every now and again....and I am of the variety that thinks egg yolks are the best part of the egg. (taste wise)