(not intro post) URGENT RE: EARTHQUAKE JAPAN

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    ByMay,

According to what I have seen on Twitter and elsewhere, the tsunami is due to hit Hawaii around 2:30 to 3am, I think that is PST. That makes sense, given that the estimate for the Oregon coast is around 7:15am PST. So you won't have long to wait.

EDITED to correct above: The time for Hawaii is 3 am HAWAII time, NOT PST, so there is a little more time than we thought. Sorry, about the confusion.

My mind is still reeling at the concept that I sat in my living room and watched a tsunami, live from Japan, devastate everything in its path.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Anyone monitoring this thread who is in Oregon coast area and considering coming inland. Just saw ODOT spokesman Dave Thompson on CH 8 (KGW) who announced that by aound 3 am PST(about an hour from the time of this post) the HWY 26 tunnel (which has been closed at night due to the work being done on it) will be opened, so if anyone is thinking about coming east on Hwy 26 from the coast, they will not be delayed by that construction.

BTW, if you are near the beach, tidelands, or low-lying area of Oregon coast, you need to be to higher ground no later than 7 am PST, per local authorities, just announced on KGW
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Anyone who wants a link to a live feed from CNN, which will work on your mobile device as well as your pc, here is a link I pulled from twitter.

http://www.interwebsource.com/feed.html
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants a link to a live feed from CNN, which will work on your mobile device as well as your pc, here is a link I pulled from twitter.

http://www.interwebsource.com/feed.html

Thank you so much... i have been trying to find one!!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am in Maui, sirens went off again at 11:23 PM and is now 12:15 AM, so they will go off in few minutes. Didn't hear anything about an earthquake off shore, and we are in our living room watching the news.

Evacuations are taking effect in Oahu according with the news, and the wave is supposed to hit between 3 and 3:30AM (Friday). Kuai will be the first because the wave is coming from the west.

Police sirens are going off around the highway in this island and the Civil Air Patrol helicopters are flying around monitoring the area.

Let's hope that is not as bad as predicted.
  • poorcopies
    poorcopies Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    This is just horrible. My thoughts are with everyone in the affected areas, everyone should start thinking about how and if they can contribute to the relief effort.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    poorcopies,

That is a good point.

BTW, if you would like to see a live feed of a tv station in Hawaii, here is one for KHNL, the NBC affiliate.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904

For Oregon coast residents in the vicinity of Seaside. If you are thinking you need gas in your car to leave, start looking for it. KGW just showed a video that someone sent them of a line at a gas station in Seaside, and they said it was taking an hour to get to the pumps.

Note to self: If I am ever brave enough to visit the coast again, I am never going to go to bed without making sure my car is already filled up. Not making a joke....this is actually a good strategy for everyone. As we know, disasters happen without warning.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    KGW, from Portland is talking to a captain on a fishing boat from Hawaii, who is south of Honolulu harbor, says there are zillions of people who are out in their boats in preparation for what is coming. He says there is actually a "traffic jam" of sorts as people try to get out of the harbors and into open water.

In case anyone is not a boater, these people are trying to protect themselves and their boats by being in open water, which will minimize the effect that the wave has on them.
  • Marcellus_08
    Options
    It's so sad to see the feed of the people in the windows waving at planes. My heart is breaking so much for them.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Regarding gas purchasing, in Astoria,Oregon a KGW reporter indicates any open gas station has a line.

For those of you not familiar w/Oregon, Astoria is located on the coast where the Columbia River flows into the Pacific.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    An update regarding Seaside Oregon, the school district has announced that schools will be closed on Friday. Haven't heard any announcements from other districts, but in another 3 hours or so, there could be more info.

Edited to add, that KGW is reporting in addition to Seaside schools being closed:

Neah-Kah-Nie Sch. Dist. - 2 hrs late
    Warrenton-Hammond Sch. Dist. - Closed
  • chiliflea
    chiliflea Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Thoughts are with all those affected by this terrible disaster....
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    My heart goes out to everyone affected and to everyone else in the warning zones be careful and my thoughts are with you
    Prayers and thoughts from the UK xx
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Note to self: If I am ever brave enough to visit the coast again, I am never going to go to bed without making sure my car is already filled up. Not making a joke....this is actually a good strategy for everyone. As we know, disasters happen without warning.

Very good point. Nature will do what it wants to do, when it wants to do it, and we have no control over that. All we can do is hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
  • UmbraForzare
    Options
    This is so sad...my thoughts are with everyone affected.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    My thoughts go out to japan and all that have been affected by this
  • weaklink109
    Options
    My prayers are with everyone affected or potentially affected by this event. As I indicated I am posting to let it be known that I am going off the website for now...trying to catch a few zzz's--where is insomnia when you need it?

One last bit of news. I am watching the live feed from KNHL in Hawaii, and tourists standing in line at a convenience store had interesting stories about how they became aware of the tsunami warning. One fellow from California said he got a text from someone on the mainland advising him of the warning. Another guy from Sweden said a friend from South Africa called him (In Hawaii) to warn him.

Both of these guys said they were glad to be staying on upper floors of hi-rise hotels, so they planned to stay put and see what happens.

The station is now reporting that the first wave has hit Midway Island, and it was about 2.5 meters, about a max of 8 feet. The next one was about 5 feet. They are estimating the initial wave in Hawaii could be 6 feet.

I will sign off with one last bit of info. The latest reports indicate that this is the worst earthquake in Japan's recorded history.

Good night, or good morning, depending on your location. Say an extra prayer for those in need.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reporting, weaklink. I've caught the insomnia bug, and am watching CNN on my TV and the live feed from Hawaii News Now on my computer. I'll take over for you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    bump.

I hope everyone is safe
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My husband's cousin's son is currently driving to Tokyo to get his fiance and says the trains and expressway are shut down and there are huge aftershocks (as of 15 minutes ago). It also does not escape my thought process that my hubber was just there on Saturday on his way to the Philippines for work. :sad: :frown: