(not intro post) URGENT RE: EARTHQUAKE JAPAN

Options

Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard anything about Philippines? It's already 8pm there, but no latest news as it said it would hit between 5-7pm.
  • RunOnSentence
    Options
    My heart goes out to any and all of you affected by the earthquake/tsunami or with friends and family potentially affected by it. My thoughts are with you...
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    CNN is saying currently 40 reported missing and 40 confirmed dead.

I also know that Tokyo Disneyland has guests evacuated from buildings and sitting in the walkways/pathways outside of the attractions and the guests are staying in the parks overnight. Disney has been giving them ponchos and disposable hand warmers, as inclement weather is above them. One of the resort's parking lots had flood water and there's minor damage to other buildings on the property.

justsayit - Best of luck to your husband's cousin's son. Such a terrifying situation.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hiya Balfonso,
    I believe it hit around an hour to 45 minutes ago...no news yet, but no news is good news, I hope.

:flowerforyou:
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Has anyone heard anything about Philippines? It's already 8pm there, but no latest news as it said it would hit between 5-7pm.

This article was posted 14 minutes ago by Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/11/tsunami-philippines-idUSSGE72A04B20110311

Hope that helps.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I woke up to the statement "Some islands may be washed away in the Pacific" Trust me. I sat bolt upright!!! I'm so heartbroken for those people affected. Right now the reports are saying 32 dead, but I'm sure that number is going to rise, not to mention the people whose lives have been shifted 180 degrees into an emergency situation :(
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My sister lives 2 blocks from the beach in Honolulu. Have not been able to get a call to her but she was texting me updates. She has been evacuated, is staying with friends in a house on a high mountain. My parents live in Northern Cal, about an hour from the coast, and I have lots of friends and family up and down California. (I'm in Oklahoma - times like these I'm so grateful to be land-locked!)

Tsunami warning for Hawaii, and for west coast - Calif, Oregon, Canada, Alaska, Mexico.

Prayers for all.

Ice
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Japan just had another 6.5m aftershock, of the east coast! This is so sad!! Hoping for the best in all of this.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    The Hawaiian live news feed is reporting that the wave patterns are starting to change. The water seems to be retreating and the waves that are currently coming on shore are not as big as they were an hour ago.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Really interesting listening to Dr. Dan Walker, the tsunami advisor in Hawaii. He said there was a similar event in 1933...an 8.4 magnitude off the coast of Japan which caused tsunamis to hit Hawaii, and the 10th tsunami wave that hit Oahu was the largest, and that wave came ashore about two hours after the first one touched ground.

Hawaii hasn't had a large tsunami event since 1964 (after the great Alaskan quake) - that was the last Pacific-wide tsunami event, in excess of 3 or 4 feet.
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post...I've been trying to reach my Japanese friend since I heard the news :cry:
  • softsmiles
    Options
    my heart goes out to all, please if your in a place that there is even a chance you could get hit, please go to higher ground, maybe it will be for nothing (but what if it is that one time?) at least you and your family will be safe.
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Tsunami is working its way onto the Hawaiian shores now. You should go to the Hawaiian news live feed to see the footage:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    According to what I'm seeing on Twitter they're expecting the tsunami to hit L.A. around 8.45am
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    tango, I'm in LA and I can confirm that time estimate, at least from what the local news channels are telling us. The beach closest to me (20 miles away, Santa Monica) is supposed to be hit at 8:32 this morning.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    A friend posted this on Facebook. It lists all the estimated times of arrival of the tsunami in different parts of the US http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/2011/03/11/lhvpd9/01/webetalhvpd9-01.txt
  • pink_and_shiny
    Options
    Associated Press is reporting that police have found 200 to 300 deceased victims of the Sendai tsunami.

Article: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7467646.html

:(
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options

My husband is in Manila and will likely not be affected, but says the coastal areas are being warned.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options

My husband is in Manila and will likely not be affected, but says the coastal areas are being warned.

Ok thanks for that :smile: and for the previous post with the article.
    I just found out from my friend who just went on holiday to Ilocos Norte that they are at a safe place and are staying away from the coast. But nothing dramatic as what has happened today in Japan. It's so upsetting seeing the footage on the news. Absolute devastation
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It is 9 AM in Hawaii (Maui), and everything is OK, so far. The ocean looks awfully calm but we were told to stay off the beach. My hearts goes out for the people of Japan.