TOFU - HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Tofu is highly processed (meaning it looks and tastes nothing like it's origional form). Yes there are worse things, but there is a healthier option (yes the Chinese are a very healthy society, but unless you're eating your tofu in China, you're not getting the same quality that they get). There was no need for the condescending tone of your response.

I don't believe she disagreed with that point at all.

As I said, I use seitan as a meat substitute. Although, I am currently nomming on a delicious peanut butter marmite oat burger on a panini, with tomato. It doesn't taste like meat, but the marmite and peanut butter give it a lovely taste and chewy texture, while the oats give it a nice crunch. I must write the recipe down at some point.
  • chicalatte
    chicalatte Posts: 174
    Options
    Cut it into strips and bake it in the oven at 400 degrees until brownish, then flip it (it might stick so put it on foil and spray cooking spray on the foil). Then dip it in marinara sauce for a good snack reminiscent of mozzerella sticks! You can buy herbed tofu too that is even better this way!

Or crumble it up and put it in spaghetti sauce or anything creamy to add protein.

Or get the less firm kind and blend it with peanut butter, cocoa powder, and sugar and/or splenda for a yummy pudding.

Generally it's all about how you COOK tofu, espesh in stir fry and stuff - I think it's so nasty when it is slimy, but delicious when it's more crispy on the outside. I find baking is the easiest most healthy way to achieve this. Frying also works, ;-).

yum!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My favorite way isn't low cal. But darned good anyway.

Cube it. Put it in a ziploc bag with cornstarch and shake to coat. Pan fry it (a little oil goes a very long way), then serve it with peanut sauce.

See. Not low cal. But really tasty.

I also like it in brownies in place of dairy and egg. I'll see if I can find the recipe for that (I think it's moved already, however.)