How many cups/cup is 2 oz of pasta?

How many cups/cup is 2 oz of pasta? I have seen it that 2 oz is 1 cup of cooked pasta...is this true?

Replies

• chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    Yep, it's true.

2 oz dry = 1 cup cooked
  • kmreynolds11
    kmreynolds11 Posts: 109 Member
    I'm so glad you asked this! I've been wondering about this conversion for awhile! thanks!
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Yep, 1 cup is what you get!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    yep. I have a food scale and weigh most things now. Its totally worth it to buy one, help me measure chips and snacks. 2oz of pasta cooks up to about 1 cup, depending on the size and shape of your pasta.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Not much at all - Not really sure but 2 oz It's just a tease as far as I am concerned - I love pasta which is a problem for me - I switched to whole wheat. Very interested in seeing what type of responses you get as I really need to know this myself.
  • ejharris
    ejharris Posts: 6
    The pasta I eat (generic grocery store brand) says on the box that a serving size is 2 oz or 3/4 cup DRY
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    yep. I have a food scale and weigh most things now. Its totally worth it to buy one, help me measure chips and snacks. 2oz of pasta cooks up to about 1 cup, depending on the size and shape of your pasta.

I agree. I've realized I have NO clue what a portion size actually looks like. Hopefully after a while I'll be able to tell and the scale won't be necessary.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    It isn't very much at all. Everyone else is right with it coming out to about 1 cup. I have been avoiding it since it is way easy to over eat w/ pasta so make sure you get your veggies in there.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    I uses a scale to measure 2 oz. of dry spaghetti which turned out to be 4.4 ounces cooked. It's remarkable how little that really is. I find that easier as the amount that fits into a cup totally depends upon the size and shape of the pasta.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Wait a minute. The serving size is of uncooked pasta? I've been measuring out 2 oz of cooked pasta as a serving.
  • Thank you everyone.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    I buy the Barilla whole grain spaghetti. It's 14oz/box, I cook half a box at a time (7g) and eat half then, half later (3.5oz pasta). It's an easy way to estimate if you don't have a food scale. Don't really care how many cups it is cooked out.
  • inspiredjen34
    inspiredjen34 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you for this post. This helped me to much. I thought that I ate over 1400 calories in 1 cup of spaghetti noodles and then I read this and noticed that dry and wet are different sizes. Thanks again
  • Bekkier
    Bekkier Posts: 1
    Thank you so much for posting this. I googled it and was stoked this site came up. I'm trying to enter my dinner right now and was really discouraged when I thought I ate 840 calories just in noodles.
  • One small size leftover of pasta and meat sauce took up soooo much of my calories for the day and sodium ... I wont do it again!! Feeling bummed=( Looks like broccoli for dinner tonight..grrr
  • leffed
    leffed Posts: 2
    I really enjoy pasta- I love all the different sauces too
    Fettuccine Alfredo, pesto, all the creamy stuff- I have decided to cook for myself- so I can e joy these dishes and be sure of what I put in the sauce etc.
    even knowing what 1 cup dry is on regards to calories really helps- of course my issue is the noodle-
    Exactly- measuring noodles. Elbows, speghetti is probably best on a scale !!!!
    I am just learning to be able to eat what I enjoy and still maintain a healthy body weight, and mind and spirit- to many people are out of shake because dieting makes them miserable- it Just does not need to be that way!
    That's my call and my goal!!!!
  • Talanjs
    Talanjs Posts: 13 Member
    Can any one help me with the reverse problem? If I have 3oz of cooked pasta what is that in dry (since all the pasta listed in the database is in dry measurements)

Thanks
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Wait a minute. The serving size is of uncooked pasta? I've been measuring out 2 oz of cooked pasta as a serving.

Oh no! You've been ripping yourself off! The 2oz serving size listed on the package is indeed for UNCOOKED pasta!
  • My2kidsloveme
    My2kidsloveme Posts: 1 Member
    Hi every one new to myfitnesspal ! I'm making linguine tonight I was wondering if 2oz uncooked past equals 1 cup cooked??