July 10th, MFP Runner's Club.

Options

Replies

• rhonda79
    rhonda79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    that I do have. :wink: I work at a charter school and we work pre baseball games as a fund raiser so I went out and got me some really good shoes for that and now I'll use them for my running shoes.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    So Runner's.....

How much do you typically spend on your running shoes? Mine are usually $75-$100 dollars.

That's a lot of wine money. :tongue:

Shannon You are so right about the wine money!:love:

I spent $85 on my last pair.
    Saucony Women's Progrid Trigon 5 Ride Running Shoe,White/Pink,12 M
    Does anyone else here wear a size 12? I think I have the biggest foot!

Before that I had some Mizunos. Very comfortable but my plantar fasciitis couldn't stand them.

For those of you who don't have pf, the heel of my foot hurts when I take the first few steps after getting out of bed in the morning. I am not kidding. Two to three steps hurt max. Doesn't hurt at all when I run. If it gets too bad, the pain is so bad I can't even take the first few steps after I get out of bed.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Running is great i am currently training for a half marathon, however I wish is wasn't so darn hot.

My half is November 2. When is yours?
  • kechiemc
    Options
    how do you join the runner club?

Welcome Rhonda!:flowerforyou:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    this is going to sound really sad (in fact it really is sad :laugh: ) I jogged on the treadmill for like 2 mins and my legs cramped up so bad I had to stop.:sad: so tomorrow morning I'm going to try and get outside and jog see if that will help, I really don't think it will but I'm gonna try and keep on trying until I'm jogging 5 miles.:happy: anyway to make it easier? and not so rough on my body?

Take it slow. Try the Couch to 5K. It is a great run/walk program for beginners. I started it last year. Recently I ran 9 miles without stopping. If I can do it, you can do it.

Do you think you are drinking enough fluid for proper hydration?

:heart: -Kechie.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hey, where's JD????

Token male!!!!! Check in!!!!! happy107.gif
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    So Runner's.....

How much do you typically spend on your running shoes? Mine are usually $75-$100 dollars.

That's a lot of wine money. :tongue:

I've been buying my asics gel and I think mine were $130 too. I love them and they are so worth it. You are so worth it! You are running a half marathon (8/8) :wink: , you deserve a good pair a shoes. :flowerforyou:
  • rhonda79
    rhonda79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Kechie and thanks for the welcome. I have a hard time drinking water so that's one thing I have to work on it getting more in me. I just hate it. I manged to get in 1 glass of water in me today. and maybe one more before I go to a meeting. but that's about all I'll get. It takes me all day to drink a glass of water.:laugh:
  • kechiemc
    Options
    Hi Kechie and thanks for the welcome. I have a hard time drinking water so that's one thing I have to work on it getting more in me. I just hate it. I manged to get in 1 glass of water in me today. and maybe one more before I go to a meeting. but that's about all I'll get. It takes me all day to drink a glass of water.:laugh:

Rhonda, hydration is definitely an issue.:bigsmile: Have you tried any of the sports drinks? If you are concerned about the calories, I've heard that some people drink those no calorie flavored waters. I avoid them b/c I don't do Splenda. However, if it will help you get more liquid.:drinker:
  • meemi42
    meemi42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No running today. I thought I would take last night off but my plans fell through. I ended up doing 15 minutes of jump rope, 15 minute walk, 15 min yoga and lifted weights. I'm trying to mix it up so I don't get bored. I am so sore today! So today I rest.

For the cramping, I agree, you have to drink lots of water. You may also want to increase the amount of potassium in your diet-- the best sources being spinach and bananas. It helps me a ton when I wake up with those killer leg cramps that ball up your whole calf.

Good luck with your running! It does get easier (well mostly).
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options

Rhonda, hydration is definitely an issue.:bigsmile: Have you tried any of the sports drinks? If you are concerned about the calories, I've heard that some people drink those no calorie flavored waters. I avoid them b/c I don't do Splenda. However, if it will help you get more liquid.:drinker:

I've tried to no calorie version and they taste pretty good. I agree with Kechie, better that than nothing. :flowerforyou:
  • meemi42
    meemi42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    And yes, Kechie, I have had pf. It is the worst! It finally went away when I had to stop running for about six months. Now if I have even the slightest ache in my heal I start to panic.

Hope it clears up for you without having to take time off.
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    this is going to sound really sad (in fact it really is sad :laugh: ) I jogged on the treadmill for like 2 mins and my legs cramped up so bad I had to stop.:sad: so tomorrow morning I'm going to try and get outside and jog see if that will help, I really don't think it will but I'm gonna try and keep on trying until I'm jogging 5 miles.:happy: anyway to make it easier? and not so rough on my body?

I had the same problem at first. Then I did the Couch to 5K that Kechie mentioned, and now I'm at 2 miles run/walk with 85% running. You can find the training program on www.coolrunning.com. It has worked wonders for me!

The cramping will go away. Just keep hydrated and eat lots of Potassium. The first 2 weeks I was running I ate a banana for breakfast and afternoon snack everyday!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    And yes, Kechie, I have had pf. It is the worst! It finally went away when I had to stop running for about six months. Now if I have even the slightest ache in my heal I start to panic.

Hope it clears up for you without having to take time off.

Thank you:flowerforyou:

For me, pf definitely seems to disappear with new shoes. So, I am going to break down and get a new pair even though I have 350 miles on my current pair. Probably best to break in my new shoes before I reach 500 miles on the old pair anyway.

:heart: -Kechie.
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    I am still trying to get a few runs in/week. I ran 3 miles tonight - 3 blocks hard, two blocks easy. It was hot and humid but otherwise felt good.

My P90X workouts are taking a big chunk of my exercise time. They take about 1hr.and 20 minutes 3days, 1hour and 30 min. 1day, and 1 hour 3 days. It does not leave a lot of time for running.

I do not want to lose what I have already gained cardio-wise, but I do not have the time/energy to do too much. I am on day 15 of 90 with the P90X so only 75 more to go!!

Thanks to all of you for your consistency. It really helps keep me motivated.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    On my way out the door now. If the weather holds I hope to go 3 miles again, but my sister is coming with me to night. She hasn't run all week and doesn't know I plan to push the whole loop. The farthest we ran together was 2.25. Hoping to get another mile out of her. Wish me luck!
  • kechiemc
    Options
    I am still trying to get a few runs in/week. I ran 3 miles tonight - 3 blocks hard, two blocks easy. It was hot and humid but otherwise felt good.

My P90X workouts are taking a big chunk of my exercise time. They take about 1hr.and 20 minutes 3days, 1hour and 30 min. 1day, and 1 hour 3 days. It does not leave a lot of time for running.

I do not want to lose what I have already gained cardio-wise, but I do not have the time/energy to do too much. I am on day 15 of 90 with the P90X so only 75 more to go!!

Thanks to all of you for your consistency. It really helps keep me motivated.

Great to hear from you JD!

Those P90X workouts sounds kick a**.

To your success:drinker:
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    Options
    On my way out the door now. If the weather holds I hope to go 3 miles again, but my sister is coming with me to night. She hasn't run all week and doesn't know I plan to push the whole loop. The farthest we ran together was 2.25. Hoping to get another mile out of her. Wish me luck!

Enjoy your run Debuckl!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Wow check out Kechie all over the posts today!! Woot Woot!!!

Way to Go - HAWT AND SASSY!!!!! 19.gif19.gif

Work is really starting to pick up this month - I hate it! It like missing the best party in college because you have to study!! couldn't run tonight due to crazy schedule so I am glad I went to yoga this am.

Shannon and Mireille - my oh my! you ladies got shut down today!!! I loved your naughty-ness!! I laughed out loud several times reading them!!!

I am not posting much - but I am here checking on everyone's progress - and you guys are AW-SOME!!! I love seeing all this activity in our club - makes me all mush inside!

Who is running in a race this weekend?
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone on your running!!! YEY EVERYONE!

That is so great to have your sister to run with!!! How far did you go tonight???

I have been + or - for a month now...so I am feeling a little cranky lately. I decided to take today off from everything but logging calories. I went out and about to the park for a picnic with the kiddos and hubby. Then we went to the butterfly house, fed the turtles, chicks, ducks and geese. Umm...taking monsters to gymnastics, then cheer leading meeting...Errr...

So I took today off from working out to bask in my pudgy. ::humph:: :tongue: