not losing

Options
I saw a dietician yesterday, I am sticking to the 1200 calories, excercising 30 min a day (bike outside) and started 3/7, today is 3/12 and I have not lost anything....???? Dietician said I was doing pretty good on my choices, need more carbs and protein balance each meal, blood sugar was down this morning....
????
Is this normal, not to lose the 1st week? Diabetic type 2..
Nat

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    not sure what to tell you except my Dad was a diabetic and my Mom controled his for the most part with diet. Are you eating a lot of processed foods, drinking enough water every day, etc. etc. It's hard to tell you anything without being able to see your diary.

Vicky Jo
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I didin't loose weight the 1st 4 weeks and it was very depressing. I did however, notice a change in the tightness of my pants. That kept me motivated to stick with it. For some, it just takes longer to see the scale move for some. It is sad to see everyone else with these high results in the beginning but don't loose hope!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The same thing is happening to me. Have been told that what it is, is that you are losing fat, but gaining muscle. Muscle is heavier than fat, so technically you will have lost fat, even if there is no change in your weight.

Apparently this will change over time, and the weight will start to come off. I am losing motivation though because of it :(
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    up ur exercise by another 10 minutes
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    up ur exercise by another 10 minutes

I agree. Or add ten minutes of strength training. Good luck!
  • twilightchica
    twilightchica Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    keep doing what youre doing!!!! i promise, there is no way that u can diet and excercise and not lose weight. its coming be patient!!!!
  • gdsbt1
    gdsbt1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only lost .8 of a pound the first month. Then I had a discussion with a personal trainer at the gym. He said to up my protein, watch the fat,.....and DON'T eat the exercise calories. My daily calorie consumption was fluctuating from 1200 - 1800 calories because I was eating exercise calories on the days I went to the gym. He said it just confuses your body.....so I should just stay at the 1200 calorie range all the time. It's actually easier to do that, because I was eating 'extras' that I really didn't need on the days I was allowed more calories.

Lo and behold......now I have dropped 3 pounds in the last week or so. I know they say on this site that you should eat your exercise calories, but I don't think that really works for everyone. So I'm doing what works for me. My age probably figures into this equation, also. I think you can get by with more calories when you are younger.

Right now I'm dropping some weight, building some muscle, and not feeling like I'm starving. So I'll continue on this path for a while to see how it goes. I can always change it up later.
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Thank you all for the input... I am going to go to the sports store and get some of those bands that you can use for strength training, and try that.. I am not one to go to gyms, I like to do things in my own home in my own time...
    I am trying to keep under the 1200 without doing the excercise calories ... I can't walk, bad knees, so I bike, that is about the only thing cardio that I can do... I am 64 and I am HOPING that I can lose the weight, and go off alot of these PILLS for type 2.
    Anyone have success stories regardign this?
  • michaeloro
    Options
    I was taking metformin/glipizide twice a day and hated it. 5 weeks of dieting and just a little exercise and my blood sugar is normal, even better than normal.

It is truly amazing... Stick with it. good luck
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, it's only been 5 days! Patience.... :)
    Secondly, are you eating 1200 NET calories or 1200 calories and then burning up 600 of them? Try to eat a minimum of 1200 net (watch the NET number on the Home page). You can do this, but not overnite! Good luck!