Anybody ride a motorcycle?

Options
jen31889
jen31889 Posts: 121
Today it is close to 60 degrees and windy. I work 4-10 tonight. It is supposed to be 43 tonight with only about 10mph wind. Would I be crazy to ride to work tonight? I don't have chaps and the only gloves I have are either thinsulate winter gloves, or my offroad dirt bike gloves. I figure the adrenaline will keep me warm?

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How long is your journey, and what sort of roads, traffic etc?
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    My husband does and rides his majority of the time unless icing of course. He does however have chaps and all his gear. I say since you don't have any not too but try it and maybe you'll know for next time. :)
  • Hunbun72
    Hunbun72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends on how far the ride it. I know that it can be colder riding a bike that late at night. Unless you have a good pair of chaps.
  • Psychosian
    Options
    I ride in any weather!! I was riding in -9C over the winter. I have a 40 min ride to and from work each day. I did have lots of layers though!!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You are tougher than me. I have a hard time going out below 60 degrees.
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I guess it depends on how well your body handles the cold and the distance you have to travel. Keep in mind that 43 degrees during the day when the sun is out feels warmer than 43 degrees at night with a wind chill. If I am not wearing chaps, I try to wear under leggings beneath my jeans to help with warmth. I can only handle temps of 50 and above when riding any distance over 10 minutes.
  • 10swampdonkey
    Options
    I am jealous of your opportunity. If you lived where I do, you would have a solid 7 ft of snow in the yard. I won't be riding my bike for a while yet this year. I am going to Vegas in April and will be renting a bike for a few days to help with the cabin fever.
    The last few days I have been shoveling several tons of snow from my roof. Good for the exercise goals. LOL
    Add a second pair of track pants maybe?? Wear the winter gloves if they don't ruin your dexterity.
    Signed,
    Green with envy
  • Deucette
    Deucette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a motorcycle but don't ride when its cold. My friends say Im not a "real" rider but I dont care. I hate cold weather! LOL! Toy runs during Christmas time is the only time I tough it out.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    I ride all winter, and sometimes it's very cold. I do have winter gloves and my hands still get really cold. My commute is 20 - 25 minutes.
  • jen31889
    Options
    My ride is about 25 minutes, 15 minutes of very rural land and 10 minutes in the city. I think I'm gonna try it. Wish me luck....or warmth!
  • rgfor40
    rgfor40 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do, I do! Mostly for fun tho. i'm looking to take a ride to the grand canyon this spring. Hopefully i can.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    If it's 50 or lower, I have to wear my chaps and gloves.
  • jen31889
    Options
    It actually wasn't that bad of a ride home. :) I wore my thinsulate gloves and a fleece under my riding jacket.
  • jen31889
    Options
    I ride all winter, and sometimes it's very cold. I do have winter gloves and my hands still get really cold. My commute is 20 - 25 minutes.

They make heated grips and heated gloves. Since you ride frequently, I would look into it. Do you ride in the snow too?
  • jen31889
    Options
    I ride in any weather!! I was riding in -9C over the winter. I have a 40 min ride to and from work each day. I did have lots of layers though!!

You are CRAZYYYYY!!!! lol
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Since we're basers when we ride we wear full protective gear. Gloves, chaps, leather coats, helmets. We stay pretty warm.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options

They make heated grips and heated gloves. Since you ride frequently, I would look into it. Do you ride in the snow too?

No, we don't get a lot of snow on the Isle of Wight. I leave the bike at home if it gets icy. I should look into heated gloves though.

When I lived in Toronto I once came out of work on a Friday to find nearly 6 inches of snow on the ground. I wasn't leaving the bike at work over the weekend, so I rode home in it. Even though traffic was a nightmare and moving really slowly, I hated every second of it. I rode with my legs stuck out like outriggers.
  • hallekj
    hallekj Posts: 6
    Options
    I used to ride my scooter to work in those same temps, but I wore my ski parka and gloves. Even with that it was a pretty chilly ride and that was only for a couple of miles. If you are hardy, go for it, but if not you may wish you had driven or taken the bus.
  • jen31889
    Options

No, we don't get a lot of snow on the Isle of Wight. I leave the bike at home if it gets icy. I should look into heated gloves though.

When I lived in Toronto I once came out of work on a Friday to find nearly 6 inches of snow on the ground. I wasn't leaving the bike at work over the weekend, so I rode home in it. Even though traffic was a nightmare and moving really slowly, I hated every second of it. I rode with my legs stuck out like outriggers.

I ride like that in the rain. I couldn't even BEGIN to imagine riding in snow or ice.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Been riding for about 44 years. Dirt bikes for the first 5 years. Been on a street bike since 1972. Won't ride on Ice or snow. Try to avoid the rain. Otherwise ride year round.