Anybody ride a motorcycle?

Options

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    32 years, otherwise ditto. Heated grips rock.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Riding in the winter here means riding in the rain. I don't mind it all that much as long as it's not cold. I have all the kit to stay dry, and my route is mainly rural without a lot of traffic so it's not too bad.
  • bouldert
    bouldert Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It will be alot colder at night .dress really warm and take two pairs of gloves keep one close to warm motor and switch too keep hans warm and good luck .
  • chadrau
    chadrau Posts: 1
    Options
    Heated grips are the way to go. I have them, but still usually wait till the streets are clear of snow and maybe a bit of rain to wash the excess salt away, otherwise ride.
  • 10swampdonkey
    Options
    Holy Crap! We had full on winter until just a few days ago, then the melting has begun. My 6' fence has been out of sight seems like forever, and now I can see 18" of it in half my yard. 19 ft of snow in town this year, and 80 ft (not a typo) in the pass this year. Avg 60'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Revelstoke_National_Park
    I was thinking I would not be able to get the bike out until maybe June this year. Best ever has been Mar 21. Things are looking up.
  • SirKevin
    SirKevin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had several bikes when I was a newlywed in Long Beach and usually rode to work. My wife had a wee small bike that she rode a lot until the obstetrician made her stop. It's just not safe to ride here in Borsetshire: bad drivers come here from all over the world and there are too many loonies texting or talking when driving to make me feel safe. I do have a bicycle for exercise which I never ride in the street. The last bike I had was a year-old 1977 Suzuki GS550-4 when my wife was the dealership owner's secretary and assistant parts manager. If I went back to living in northern California, I might buy a bike, take a course and ride again. I would like a Ducati Monster, would settle for a Triumph Bonnevile.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I am motorcycle rider. I tend to ride when the temperature is above 55.

Temperature is one thing to consider when deciding to ride. What are the road conditions right now? Is there allot of sand on the road? If they use sand in your area. Sand and gravel they use in Colorado reek havoc riders.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am just a "passenger" only because my dear sweet husband is terrified of me having my own! And he says he'd rather me be riding behind anyway. But he doesn't even get the bike out until it's in the 70's. He's not a "true dedicated rider". If he needs a coat and gloves, forget it. And definitely not in the wind. He says he's going to ride it to work this summer, but I don't see that happening. He leaves around 3am and the mornings are pretty cool and he's got a good 40 minute ride to work.

I would LOVE to have one of my own...and I would only have about a 7 minute ride to work.
  • Nucleartiger
    Nucleartiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am just a "passenger" only because my dear sweet husband is terrified of me having my own! And he says he'd rather me be riding behind anyway. But he doesn't even get the bike out until it's in the 70's. He's not a "true dedicated rider". If he needs a coat and gloves, forget it. And definitely not in the wind. He says he's going to ride it to work this summer, but I don't see that happening. He leaves around 3am and the mornings are pretty cool and he's got a good 40 minute ride to work.

I would LOVE to have one of my own...and I would only have about a 7 minute ride to work.

Sounds like you might just have to take his for a ride or just go get one of your own.. ;-)
  • Nucleartiger
    Options
    I don't have any chaps or anything for my legs but my jacket that I have keeps my upper body pretty warm down into the mid 30s. I ride with my jacket, long johns (top and bottoms) Balaclava, winter gloves, and full face helmet during the winter time and the only part that really gets cold is my legs.

Living here in the Southeast does have some great advantages for sure. I have been able to put on about 1200 miles on the bike in the last 2 weeks. Ride safe everyone.
  • Stefani74
    Options

Sounds like you might just have to take his for a ride or just go get one of your own.. ;-)

I can't even hold his up! He's got a 1300 and I am only 5'3...I can barely straddle it. LOL! I think if I purchased one of my own, he'd probably divorce me...he is that adament about it!
  • Nucleartiger
    Options

I can't even hold his up! He's got a 1300 and I am only 5'3...I can barely straddle it. LOL! I think if I purchased one of my own, he'd probably divorce me...he is that adament about it!

He won't divorce you. Thats how I got my bike just finally got tired of the wife telling me no so I just went out and bought it.
  • Stefani74
    Options

He won't divorce you. Thats how I got my bike just finally got tired of the wife telling me no so I just went out and bought it.

HA HA! You don't know my husband! He might not divorce me but he'd get back at me. Like sell the boat which is something else I really like to do!
  • 10swampdonkey
    Options
    stefani74,
    My wife is only 5' , and her feet don't touch the ground at all. We rented a scooter in Mexico before, and I had to put my feet down for her when we stopped, lol. She did enjoy doubling me though. She loves to ride on the back, and I doubt she would want her own bike, or develop the confidence. But it sounds to me like you would like to give it a try. I have a few women friends who ride, and really love it. Your hubby probably loves you, and is a little overprotective. Not so bad. Sign up for a riding course, then get a bike later. In that order. It will show him you are serious about the safety aspect, and the smaller bikes the schools use are very confidence inspiring.
    He won't take away your boat, he loves it too. :)
    Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Not trying to wreck your marriage
    Good liuck
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

HA HA! You don't know my husband! He might not divorce me but he'd get back at me. Like sell the boat which is something else I really like to do!
    Go to www.msf-usa.org and sign up for a BRC (Basic Rider Course). They'll loan you a helmet and a little-bitty motorcycle and give you a 16 hour 'how to ride' class in a parking lot. If you pass it you get your license. Great way to see if motorcycling is for you. I'm an instructor, PM me and I can tell you more.
  • Stefani74
    Options

Go to www.msf-usa.org and sign up for a BRC (Basic Rider Course). They'll loan you a helmet and a little-bitty motorcycle and give you a 16 hour 'how to ride' class in a parking lot. If you pass it you get your license. Great way to see if motorcycling is for you. I'm an instructor, PM me and I can tell you more.

Thanks for the info!
  • ki4idb
    ki4idb Posts: 114
    Options
    I love to ride and ride year round. I have a 2007 Suzuki VStrom. It has heated grips, gps, XM radio and luggage. I love that bike. My favorite hobbies are motorcycle related including Iron butt rides. Check it out at www.ironbutt.com .
  • brendant1
    brendant1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a Honda CBR1000 and ride whenever I can. We don't get any snow in Wellington. We have some fantastic roads for motorbikes very close. We have a group of us that ride on Sunday's and go away to a couple of bike rallies every year. One is the Cold Kiwi at the base of Mount Ruapehu, it can get very cold but we are big brave motorcycle riders, right !!! Heated grips are a must.
    The south island has some of the best roads in the world for riding and I can recommend anyone looking for a great riding holiday to check it out.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've definately riden in colder! But it depends on road conditions.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I ride year-round. I have summer gear and winter gear. If it's cold and the roads are dry, the bike is preferred. I've seen as cold as 9ºF on the bank thermometers I pass. I have also ridden home from work on the snow a few times because I didn't *think* it would snow.

JM