So I got in trouble today in spin...opinions?

Options
13»

Replies

• fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

It seems like the instructor was being super touchy about it. There's no reason to call you out in front of the whole class. It's a freaking fitness class, not 12th grade Chem. I don't know, I'm not really into the "hive mind" workout, which is why I don't take classes at a gym. I do take an outdoor fitness class, though. I would never use an iPod or "do my own thing" in that class, because we're hiking and doing yoga and motivating each other. It's a small class in a small town and we're all friends. This is tough to answer since none of us were there and we don't really know what the situation was.

Really, the answer to this question depends on whether or not you were disrupting the class. Either you were and didn't realize it, or the instructor was on a power trip and wanted to shame you for not listening to her divine wisdom and most excellent music selections.

If you plan on doing this in the future, talk to the instructor first. She may tell you to not take her class, or she may appreciate the head's up.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Ok - so now I'm dying to know what is happening in this spin class!!! :smile:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Since my "talking to," I haven't been using my ipod.....trying to be respectful because I guess I could see how she would be offended, I also try not to take her class if I don't have to. I've seriously fallen off the wagon something terrible so it isn't really an issue as I've been exercising little and eating a ton....just keeping it real hahahaha...
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Well, grab ahold and climb back on :happy:
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am not in anyway defending HOW the instructor approached the issue. She should have talked to you one on one and asked you why you felt you needed to listen to your own music. A good instructor would have taken this issue as constructive criticism. Now as a friend of a group exercise/spin class manager, I've heard her side of the story. People showing up doing their own thing and ignoring the instructors. If that person were to get hurt (one way or another) then that instructor is held somewhat accountable..questioned about how one of their students got hurt. If you're bored with her music, make suggestions to that instructor's manager and TRUST ME...they will make the changes. Like you said..they're getting paid and their paycheck comes from the fees we pay.

Good luck and hope the class gets better or that they offer the other class for a more convenient time for you.
  • Nomomush
    Options
    Get back on and ride...ride and feel the wind in your hair (haha)...boring music or not, you'll get your workout.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    Here I thought you paying YOUR money and CHOOSING to do that in YOUR spare time WAS infact "on your own time" silly me.
  • Nomomush
    Options
    But who would do their own thing in Zumba, step, or whatever body pump is.....Spin is different...it's not like I'm bothering anyone by not doing the same thing, and actually I do follow the class, just to my own music. So the ONLY difference between me and my neighbor is that I've got my headphones on.....

So if you have your headphones on, how do you hear/listen to changes in gear or RPMs as the instructor ques/tells the class? If you push yourself hard enough, trust me, that music is the last thing on your mind...
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    She probably got her pride hurt a little. Just take a different class and avoid her's. The gym will weed out instructors who aren't doing their job. I have two favorites: one is older and she paints awesome visuals of being in the Tour de France - and running in packs, bring up the rear, leading, top 5, etc. Another one just focuses on the workout but she's got a great tush and there's a full wall mirror behind her. (Postfusion.gif giggity) I've never thought of wearing my own ipod in either class because the workout keeps me engaged.