Opinions on whether or not to eat the calories you burn exe

Options
13»

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I usally net around 900 to 1000 I dont eat my exercise calories normallyIf im not hungry.Im just fine.I started exercising and losing weight last april Back then I would exercise 2 hours a day and burn alot.I never stalled on my weightloss my hair didnt fall out.The 4 months I stoped exercising i never gained any back.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I dont eat enough and I know I should, but it scares me :(

I was in the same position. But here is the straight up problem.......the weight loss will slow down bec/so will your metabolism. Also when I was not eating all my calories, I could not hold my yoga pose's or do a single push up. I simply was not giving my body what it needed to perform basic tasks. Since eating my exercise cals, my workouts are stronger and of much better quality.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Oh geez...not this again...
    I know, right? Please use the search function as this has been asked and answered 10,000 times. Not trying to be nasty but this is a touchy subject and there are tons of posts about this already! :indifferent:
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I dont eat enough and I know I should, but it scares me :(

I was in the same position. But here is the straight up problem.......the weight loss will slow down bec/so will your metabolism. Also when I was not eating all my calories, I could not hold my yoga pose's or do a single push up. I simply was not giving my body what it needed to perform basic tasks. Since eating my exercise cals, my workouts are stronger and of much better quality.

see thats why i dont worry about it for me,because I can work out hard,push ups all that.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Oh geez...not this again...
    I know, right? Please use the search function as this has been asked and answered 10,000 times. Not trying to be nasty but this is a touchy subject and there are tons of posts about this already! :indifferent:

well it seems to me the op was asking for everyones opinions on that.not asking if she should.also if your sick to death of the topic just dont click on it.seems simple to me.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    what hpsnickers1 said :smile:
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    What should scare people is not eating enough. Simply put, if you don't feed your body the at least bottom line amount of calories it needs to function and do everyday tasks then while you may be still losing weight it's because your body is eating itself. When you don't take in enough calories for your body to safely shed fat but keep muscle then it turns to the fat for fuel, once that is gone it starts attacking the muscle. I was vastly undereating a year ago, barely making it to 800 calories a day. While I was skinny and didn't weigh much, I had no muscle definition at all. I was "skinny-fat" Once I started eating the amount I needed to make up for the calories I burnt during exercise I did gain weight because my body had gone into survival mode. It was now hanging onto everything I took in for fear of myself "starving" again. Once it realized I wasn't going to cut calories too much, it started letting go of the weight. I'm now safely getting back to the weight my body is happiest at and I'm soo much stronger and have so much more energy. If a small girl like me 5 2 and a half 117.8 pounds can eat 1880 calories and still be losing weight then anyone can. Difference is I'm losing it the safe way and not compromising the muscle I've built while doing my rounds of P90X and P90X Plus.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    im seeing muscle definition.
  • Kat120285
    Options
    Check out the thread for starvation mode. If people are fine their bodies going into it then there's usually nothing anyone can say to make them change their mind. Fact is, while you're losing fat, it's not just due to the severe calorie deficit. It's also due to the fact that your body isn't getting enough fuel and therefore turns to the fat. Which seems like not such a bad thing except that once that fat is gone, it will then turn to the muscle. When you go below a certain amount of calories, normally your BMR or 1200 calories, your body literally starts eating itself for fuel so that it can continue to function.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Check out the thread for starvation mode. If people are fine their bodies going into it then there's usually nothing anyone can say to make them change their mind. Fact is, while you're losing fat, it's not just due to the severe calorie deficit. It's also due to the fact that your body isn't getting enough fuel and therefore turns to the fat. Which seems like not such a bad thing except that once that fat is gone, it will then turn to the muscle. When you go below a certain amount of calories, normally your BMR or 1200 calories, your body literally starts eating itself for fuel so that it can continue to function.

so after a year that should have happened to me right?
  • Kat120285
    Options
    Not if you still have weight to lose, as I said.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    oh ok so as long as you have weight to lose there is no such thing as starvation mode? really thats not what most everyone else says so then ive got nothing to worry about i can just eat 500 calories a day and not go into starvation mode since i still have 40 pounds to lose:laugh:
  • Kat120285
    Options
    You're completely misunderstanding what anyone is saying about starvation mode. While you may have weight to lose you can be in starvation mode. Starvation mode is simply your body not getting fuel from calories but instead from fat and muscle. What I'm saying is while you're still losing weight it's due to your huge caloric deficit as well as your body turning to the fat for fuel. Once you've lost the fat, your body will then turn to the muscle.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    You're completely misunderstanding what anyone is saying about starvation mode. While you may have weight to lose you can be in starvation mode. Starvation mode is simply your body not getting fuel from calories but instead from fat and muscle. What I'm saying is while you're still losing weight it's due to your huge caloric deficit as well as your body turning to the fat for fuel. Once you've lost the fat, your body will then turn to the muscle.

so then when i get close to my goal weight just eat more
  • Kat120285
    Options
    Yes. The problem though is when you use such a strict deficit to lose the weight, when it comes time to eat more to maintain, your body wants to hang onto all the calories that come in and usually causes weight gain. If all your stats are good, and your body is doing fine so far with such a deficit then that's good. Ideally you should then be able to ease yourself into eating more calories without gaining the weight back.