interesting article re women's fitness goals

Options
13»

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I don't know your BF% but some people recommend the 1g/lb LBM not total weight as basically body fat doesn't require protein like muscle does. So that "could" figure into your calcs if you wanted to go that far :smile:

Its still low for me, my trainer did calipers and put me in at 29% and I weighed 185 at the time (I think I lost some BF and about 5lbs but just for reference) so it should be more like 130 grams and that is just too difficult to eat. I find it difficult to get in over 100 consistently - I have some protein powder coming which should help, I just can't eat that much chicken/meat every day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yep, that is why whey protein is a SUPPLEMENT. To supplement your regular diet to reach a desired protein level :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Thought I would add this one here as it's basically the same topic :smile:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

awesome read.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting. Interesting info, my trainer says the same thing.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    11bump.gif&size=400x1000
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    that gif is really freaking disturbing.

Even the protein powder doesn't really get me there. It helps, but I can't hit 130 every day. I know other people can eat protein all the live long day but its just not working for me.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    It depends on your total cals as well but basically if I know I'm going out to dinner to say my parents place who always seem to have your typical high carb, moderate protein meals (i.e. smaller portions of meat, more veggies/rice/pasta) I will have meat and veggies for lunch instead of my normal protein oats. This gives me about 65g of protein at lunch time so I know that whatever I have for dinner doesn't have to be that much protein. (and I always eat something before bed like protein sludge or pudding etc, my greek yoghurt sludge is 45g Pro, protein pancakes with icecream is 75g, easy as :smile:)
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.................................. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Nothing revolutionary here but good article on bang for buck exercise choice from Nia Shanks.

http://www.niashanks.com/blog/beautiful-badass-strength-training-principles

Brilliant summary.

"Have a positive reason for going to the gym; it's was truly helped me get through my disordered eating and negative self image. Get in there and get strong, and then after that get even stronger. Make the goal of improving your performance the only focus of your training sessions. Yes, it may be intimidating at first knowing you’re only going to spend about 45 minutes in the gym three to four days per week, but that’s all it takes as long as you work hard.

Forget about the number on the weight scale, burning calories, or working yourself into a puddle of sweat. Pick up some heavy *kitten* weight via loaded barbells and dumbbells. Work your way to a double bodyweight squat and/or deadlift. Work your way up to dominating your bodyweight and bust out sets of parallel bar dips, chin-ups, inverted rows, and push-ups. Don’t be afraid of pressing a loaded barbell over your head either.

If you are used to marathon workouts or being fueled by negative motivation to train, it could take a lot of work at first to focus only on your performance in the gym and finishing a training session feeling energized. Stick with it for at least eight weeks; you’ll find training more rewarding and motivating."
  • mah1120
    mah1120 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump