July 13, MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning:grumble:

Stayed up too late last night...

Still got up and exited my house. I ran 7.11 miles. Weird. Maybe JD and I ran together this morning...:bigsmile:

I too took it nice and easy. Well I tried to - I was chased by a dog that wasn't barking. Don't you hate that?:explode: I blew my whistle and he retreated.? I tried to scream but nothing came out.

Then, an angry bee chased me. I'm thankful the bee didn't sting me. I am allergic to bee stings and of course I did not have an epi pen w/me. I never take one with me on my runs.:embarassed:

Enjoy the day:flowerforyou:
    -Kechie.

wow that was a very eventful run!! :laugh:

I am soooo envious that you got out of bed even after staying up late! I stayed up way too late too watching that Mad Men show on AMC - I am trying to watch all of last season before the new season starts in two weeks!! So 1:00am finally crawled into bed know that I sabotaged my morning run! Oh well! Good for you though!!! Need to get me a whistle!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Good morning,

It's raining here again but it's should clear up by afternoon. I'm having my breakfast now and I hope to be out the door in 2 -3 hours for my 7 miles.

I will post later.

Have a great day!
    Mireille

Oh I cannot wait to hear how it went!!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Good Morning my running friends!

I hit the trails this morning just before sun up for 7.12 miles. Instead of running at my ususal LSD pace for this distance, I kept my heart rate in the 80-90% range for the entire run. It felt good.

Mireille - Good luck with your 7 miles. I hope the weather cooperates.

Enjoy your runs or rest!!

Today I'm resting - AND I slept in until 9 - unheard of! Both of my girls at a sleepovers.... how wonderful!

Shel

Oh Shel - I am so jealous! Need to work on fitting those sleepovers into my kids schedule!
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    OHHHHHH I am so excited..... this is my first run to post in 3 weeks! It's the best morning ever!

Rolled out of bed with a smile, threw on the shoes, and put in 5 miles (in 40 mins!!) on a beautiful, calm Sunday morning! There was a slight breeze and the sun was a shinin! Except for the attack chihuahua that was biting at my heels (I hate that dog, it chases my car too). What is it with the dogs this morning???:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

JD and Kechi- WAY TO GO on the 7.1!! That is wonderful!

It sounds like every one was having a good day today!

I hope everyone enjoys their runs or rests today...make it a good one!

Happy Running!!

Ali:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

congrats!! and welcome back!! we missed you!! :flowerforyou:

How is your DH doing in his recovery?
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    OHHHHHH I am so excited..... this is my first run to post in 3 weeks! It's the best morning ever!

Rolled out of bed with a smile, threw on the shoes, and put in 5 miles (in 40 mins!!) on a beautiful, calm Sunday morning! There was a slight breeze and the sun was a shinin! Except for the attack chihuahua that was biting at my heels (I hate that dog, it chases my car too). What is it with the dogs this morning???:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

JD and Kechi- WAY TO GO on the 7.1!! That is wonderful!

It sounds like every one was having a good day today!

I hope everyone enjoys their runs or rests today...make it a good one!

Happy Running!!

Ali:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

congrats!! and welcome back!! we missed you!! :flowerforyou:

How is your DH doing in his recovery?

Thanks! He is doing really well. He still has some surgical pain, but his back seems to be better! Biggest challenge now will be getting off the pain medication. He has been on very high doses of Oxy for almost 2 years and is physically dependent on it. More then anything he wants to stop taking it and if the back pain is gone, he can slowly start weaning off. It will be a couple rough months, but hopefully he will get there soon!! If anyone has tips... I would love any suggestions!

Thanks so much for asking!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Ali
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Okay, bought some new shoes! {yeah!}

I'm normally not a Nike fan, but the sales woman recommended them for me. Plus they were on sale, so that sealed the deal! :laugh:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Good Morning my running friends!

I hit the trails this morning just before sun up for 7.12 miles. Instead of running at my ususal LSD pace for this distance, I kept my heart rate in the 80-90% range for the entire run. It felt good.

Mireille - Good luck with your 7 miles. I hope the weather cooperates.

Enjoy your runs or rest!!

JD -- how do you like running trails? I've just started running trails again after about 3 years of not running them at all. Friday I went out for my long run and ran 2 hours & 20 minutes.... still didn't get in my 12 miles as the trail had a lot of elevation gain and was pretty technical, but I got in 10. I kept my HR at a 150 average which is where it is for a 'normal' long run. Do you think this is equivalent - even though the mileage isn't there? I'd love to think I can do my long runs there... it's so beautiful!

Shel - I love runnning trails. If I could do all of my running on trails and never hit the streets I would be happy. My joints take too much of a beating when I try to push my tempo on pavement. The trails that I usually run are really easy...wide and well groomed. There is one that I run occasionally though that requires you to watch every step and has some tough hills.

Even if the distance is a little shorter, if you are getting your heart rate into your training zone for the same amount of time, I would have to think it is an equivalent cardio work out.

JD

Good Morning
    Do you guys know how to find a good running trail in areas that I just don't know about? I live in a more rural place and always prefer running on the dirt and when a little opsticle comes up I love it. I know I would love to do a real running trail, but I don't even know how to start to look for one. In a smaller town like mine, I don't know if there is any?
    SM
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options

I'm normally not a Nike fan, but the sales woman recommended them for me. Plus they were on sale, so that sealed the deal! :laugh:

Yeah, New Shoes!!
    :drinker:
    And on Sale!:drinker: :drinker:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    OK, didn't run this morning, stayed up kinf of later, but did so much yard work yesterday still feel great!
    Heading over to swap meat to walk around, maybe I can find something and carry it around to burn calories? Yeah, find a deal.
    Then I will think about a bike ride.

And another great thing about this site, We are making breakfast and I just love one of the items and so I came on here to find out you know the calories and I pre imput my calories so I know how much to eat before I eat and not feel guilty about eating Corned beef Hash and keep my perportions just right!
    SM
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    still resting, my knee isn't 100% so I will be cycling (it is the one cardio exercise that doesn't hurt to do). I also have some shopping to do for vacation so I will at least get a little walking done!
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Ali - Yikes. I feel for you! That is going to be an uphill battle. I will keep you in my prayers.

Mireille- Hope your run went well. I love to run in the rain...not pouring rain but a nice light rain.

Kechi - Alright safety girl!!! You are the one who talks about making sure someone knows the path you are taking and the time you are expected back and then you go and run without your epi?!! I am glad you have changed your ways and have dusted the pen off!!! No more of that!!

JD - I am with you! I love paths but unfortunately the only one that we have close to us isn't cut well and there are large tree roots all over the path. I am always so scared that I am going to get injured. I wish we had more natural running trails around us.

Shannon - Didn't you do something crazy like run 11 miles yesterday or Friday!? You go girl! I just don't think I have the stamina to run that long. My long runs are only 6 miles and after those runs my knees remind me of how old and heavy I am. I think my problem is that I run the same pace on my long runs as I do on the short 2-3 mile runs. By the time I hit 5 miles I'm pooped and draggin to push out that extra mile. If I could just figure out how to slow down and feel comfortable I could probably do more distance but for some reason I have a hard time maintaining a slower speed. Is that wierd?!

Ok...so I took Friday off due to my legs feeling sore and I hadn't taken a day off in quite some time. Then yesterday I had to take the day off because I got slammed with female hormones and was absolutely exhausted and cramping!! I have never had such a bad cycle!! So this morning I jumped out of bed, got dressed in my running clothes and was in great spirits because I was feeling well rested and no soreness. Because it was such a beautiful day, I thought I'd drive to a local park and run one of their paths. So, I jump in my car and I get half way there and as I am at a stop light waiting for a green light (on a very busy road) my car just dies! I mean just dies! NO ELECTRICAL OUTPUT WHATSOEVER! I couldn't even put my hazzards on. Needless to say it took me more than 31/2 hours to get my car towed, checked in at Nissan and then wait on a ride back home. By the time I got home I was starving for lunch and the kids were all awake...you know the story. UGH!!!! I am getting really frustrated. I guess I am going to try and go for a long run this evening now because it's gotten to humid with my asthma. If I wait any longer my muscles won't have any memory of my running and they will revolt!!!:tongue: Wish me luck!! I feel like I could really use some this week!!
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options

If you ever get a chance Shannon try Asics gel (GT -2130) I love them!! I just bought my third pair of these for $90. Not cheap but not as expensive as some of the others. You can find them on sale at the local sporting good stores every so often.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Buckeye - On my shorter runs I try to increase my speed, but on my longer runs I just settle into a comfortable pace & just go for it. Try to have one run a week where you really push the speed & eventually you'll be quicker overall.

And don't call yourself old!! I've got a year on you & I'm still a spring chicken! {{snicker}} :bigsmile:
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    Buckeye - On my shorter runs I try to increase my speed, but on my longer runs I just settle into a comfortable pace & just go for it. Try to have one run a week where you really push the speed & eventually you'll be quicker overall.

And don't call yourself old!! I've got a year on you & I'm still a spring chicken! {{snicker}} :bigsmile:

I am the only man on this message board(usually) and the only old person(always)!! You are all spring chickens!!!!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Shel,
    I just wanted to tell you that I think your trail run (especially if hilly) is equal to the longer distances. I've been doing trail runs for the past month and going 12 miles in 132 minutes (11 minute mile pace) and feeling really tired at the end of it. Yesterday, I ran a half-marathon that was on a paved trail in the city and it was sooooooo much easier that I ran the half-marathon in 135 minutes (10.5 minute miles!) I also felt like I could've kept going at the end. My heartrate was so much lower than it was on the hilly bark-dusted trail I've been doing. I could tell that the trail runs were really getting me in great shape, so I think if you do trail runs, they are equivalent to a longer run on the streets. I'm thinking my trail runs are really going to prepare me for the marathon, which is on city streets. I'm going to try to mix in some street runs along the way, but also keep doing lots of trail runs. Great job on your run!:flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

I am the only man on this message board(usually) and the only old person(always)!! You are all spring chickens!!!!

Hey jd,
    You are the same age as me! We aren't old, we're just mature and wise (and I'm a grandma!)!:happy:

Terry
  • pmkelly409
    Options

Mamma got a new pair of shoes! Woot Woot!! There goes two minutes off your best time!!
    th_time2run_shoes.jpg
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    If you ever get a chance Shannon try Asics gel (GT -2130) I love them!! I just bought my third pair of these for $90. Not cheap but not as expensive as some of the others. You can find them on sale at the local sporting good stores every so often.

I have these, they were a SPLURGE, I usually stick to the $40-50 range but I broke when I tried these on! I love them, they are the best ones so far, I am a huge fan of the aisics :love: :love: :love:
  • pmkelly409
    Options

I have these, they were a SPLURGE, I usually stick to the $40-50 range but I broke when I tried these on! I love them, they are the best ones so far, I am a huge fan of the aisics :love: :love: :love:

that is what I have too! I don't care what kind she got, I am just glad she got them!! No more pain for Shannon!! :drinker:
  • pmkelly409
    Options
    Ali - Yikes. I feel for you! That is going to be an uphill battle. I will keep you in my prayers.

Mireille- Hope your run went well. I love to run in the rain...not pouring rain but a nice light rain.

Kechi - Alright safety girl!!! You are the one who talks about making sure someone knows the path you are taking and the time you are expected back and then you go and run without your epi?!! I am glad you have changed your ways and have dusted the pen off!!! No more of that!!

JD - I am with you! I love paths but unfortunately the only one that we have close to us isn't cut well and there are large tree roots all over the path. I am always so scared that I am going to get injured. I wish we had more natural running trails around us.

Shannon - Didn't you do something crazy like run 11 miles yesterday or Friday!? You go girl! I just don't think I have the stamina to run that long. My long runs are only 6 miles and after those runs my knees remind me of how old and heavy I am. I think my problem is that I run the same pace on my long runs as I do on the short 2-3 mile runs. By the time I hit 5 miles I'm pooped and draggin to push out that extra mile. If I could just figure out how to slow down and feel comfortable I could probably do more distance but for some reason I have a hard time maintaining a slower speed. Is that wierd?!

Ok...so I took Friday off due to my legs feeling sore and I hadn't taken a day off in quite some time. Then yesterday I had to take the day off because I got slammed with female hormones and was absolutely exhausted and cramping!! I have never had such a bad cycle!! So this morning I jumped out of bed, got dressed in my running clothes and was in great spirits because I was feeling well rested and no soreness. Because it was such a beautiful day, I thought I'd drive to a local park and run one of their paths. So, I jump in my car and I get half way there and as I am at a stop light waiting for a green light (on a very busy road) my car just dies! I mean just dies! NO ELECTRICAL OUTPUT WHATSOEVER! I couldn't even put my hazzards on. Needless to say it took me more than 31/2 hours to get my car towed, checked in at Nissan and then wait on a ride back home. By the time I got home I was starving for lunch and the kids were all awake...you know the story. UGH!!!! I am getting really frustrated. I guess I am going to try and go for a long run this evening now because it's gotten to humid with my asthma. If I wait any longer my muscles won't have any memory of my running and they will revolt!!!:tongue: Wish me luck!! I feel like I could really use some this week!!

That is crazy bad juju!! I cannot imagine how p.o.'d you were!! I think I would have cried! :sad:

Let's go out tonight and do our runs together in spirit! I am with you sending you all my positive brain waves!! Good Luck!