What do you do with discarded egg yolks?

Options
Hi everyone!

I haven't started buying prepared egg whites yet, so I'm separating the egg white from the yolk and using just the egg white for my breakfast sandwich. I won't be using the egg yolks - custards just aren't worth the fat calories for me - so what do I do with them? What's the best way to get rid of them?

Replies

• knothead76
    Options
    I just send them down the garbage disposal with the shells. To me it's still cheaper to buy the whole egg and separate them myself, plus I eat 1 whole egg with my egg whites for the added flavor.
  • bethlynch
    bethlynch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cooked them and give them to my dog. It is really good for them. He gets one a day. If you don't have a dog then just throw them away.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I usually toss them as well, didn't think about giving a little to my dog, good idea!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I cooked them and give them to my dog. It is really good for them. He gets one a day. If you don't have a dog then just throw them away.

I do the same thing! No waste and the dog loves it! Many times I will eat 2 eggs and use 1 yolk. Sometimes the dog gets the extra yolk or other times I freeze them for future use in baking or custards.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    It's really not a bad idea to add at least one egg yolk. I use 1/2 cup of egg whites and one real egg. It's really not bad for ya. Only 137 calories and 4 grams of fat. You should really buy egg whites only though, throwing away all those yolks is just a big waste.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Freeze them. You can use them when you are preparing something that calls for an egg yolk.

I live with others who are not on diets and they like their treats. So when I bake or if I'm making mayonnaise or whatever, I thaw said egg yolks and use them. It beats wasting it.

I use the shells for my roses!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    It's really not a bad idea to add at least one egg yolk. I use 1/2 cup of egg whites and one real egg. It's really not bad for ya. Only 137 calories and 4 grams of fat. You should really buy egg whites only though, throwing away all those yolks is just a big waste.
    did you ever compair the price buying egg whites is just a big waste.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I also use them for my children. They are egg fanatics. Eggs go fast in our house!
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options
    did you ever compair the price buying egg whites is just a big waste.

It's only $2.00 for 32oz. of egg whites at Walmart. That's like 32 eggs for $2.00, not bad.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I bought 16 egg whites for 2.70$, a dozen large eggs would have cost me like 1.50$ I guess, maybe 2.

Coes out to pretty much the same price methinks.
  • bluesqueen
    bluesqueen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have seperated eggs for years..it IS cheaper than buying whites..the only time I use the carton whites is for smoothies..I have 3 dogs and dont think the fat is good for them either..so they dont get them. Their dogfood has everything they need. I could save them for scrambled eggs for my husband altho i feel the same about adding the fat to his diet. He needs it but gets plenty in other food. i mix my whites into my oatmeal and add some cinnamon (good for ya) and some DaVinci pancake syrun and do the micro for 2 mins and I have a wonderful custard-like bfast..love it.. I do hate waste so have to think on some of these ideas.
  • rmqt
    rmqt Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of water and use them as a wash on homemade bread. It gives the crust a nice shiny finish.
  • fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For a non-eating use: I use them to make a homemade conditioner for my hair. Mix 1-2 yolks with about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of raw honey. Add more for longer/thicker hair. Add to dry hair, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Shampoo 1-2 times.
    It's great for the hair!
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I toss them. You can buy 'simply egg whites' which is just egg whites. Whole Foods sells a jug of egg whites also.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks so much for all the great ideas!!!!!

~Andi
    :heart:
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options
    You can also buy Egg Whites International 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ewi/liquidew.html

It's $38 for 2 half gallons which is 160 eggs! Pretty cheap if you ask me and there's no waste or mess separating.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I use one yolk with my whites for my omeletes and as I discard the yolks, I wistfully remember using the yolks to make ice cream, lemon curd, and all of the other wonderful and yummy things that made my butt look like cottage cheese! Nope! Not one ounce of guilt as they go down the drain! I don't feel good about feeding my husband the extra cholesterol and the dog only gets one every so often because he is small, too so down the drain they go! Eggs keep well in the shell, as far as I am concerned it is a less processed way to get egg whites that I only use now and then and not a specialty purchase.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I just buy the egg beaters...it is egg whites only. I don't have the patience to try and separate the eggs...haha
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    For a non-eating use: I use them to make a homemade conditioner for my hair. Mix 1-2 yolks with about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of raw honey. Add more for longer/thicker hair. Add to dry hair, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Shampoo 1-2 times.
    It's great for the hair!

I might have to try that
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

I do the same thing! No waste and the dog loves it! Many times I will eat 2 eggs and use 1 yolk. Sometimes the dog gets the extra yolk or other times I freeze them for future use in baking or custards.

Ditto! It is the only table food that I give my dog. He loves the eggs. Well, no I take that back...I give him raw veggies and fruits as well. D