What do you do with discarded egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    You can also buy Egg Whites International 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ewi/liquidew.html

It's $38 for 2 half gallons which is 160 eggs! Pretty cheap if you ask me and there's no waste or mess separating.

While your math works out, the yolks are being thrown away regardless-whether you do it or the factory does, they are still wasted. Personally I eat the whole egg so nothing is wasted!
  • bmreed0920
    bmreed0920 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    For a non-eating use: I use them to make a homemade conditioner for my hair. Mix 1-2 yolks with about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of raw honey. Add more for longer/thicker hair. Add to dry hair, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Shampoo 1-2 times.
    It's great for the hair!

Good idea. I've been mixing mine with oatmeal and warm water for a face mask. It keeps my skin soft and less oily. 2 egg yolks, 1 cup oatmeal grounded in food processor and 2 tbsp warm water. Mix all together. Apply to clean dry face. Let stand for about 30 minutes and rinse off. I also like to use it with a mixture of honey and baby oil to soak my finger tips in. Makes my nails stronger and shiny. Whisk 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp baby oil and 2 yolks. Warm in microwave for 30 seconds. Dip finger tips in for 15 minutes. Wash hands with gentle soap.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    You can also buy Egg Whites International 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ewi/liquidew.html

It's $38 for 2 half gallons which is 160 eggs! Pretty cheap if you ask me and there's no waste or mess separating.

While your math works out, the yolks are being thrown away regardless-whether you do it or the factory does, they are still wasted. Personally I eat the whole egg so nothing is wasted!

You are quite correct, I just figured if she didn't know what to do with the yolks she might as well not buy them haha. I love whole eggs too, so good!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When you're done cooking your egg whites, throw the yolks in the pan and cook them. Then feed them to the wild birds - they love them and the fat is good for their nestlings this time of year. What the birds don't eat, the other critters will.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

This didn't make sense to me. Why would a business throw away a usable part of a product, after all? So I had to look it up on the All Whites site (that's what I use) and found this in the FAQs.

"What do you do with the yolk and shell?

The egg yolk is processed and packaged separately and is sold to Foodservice and Food Ingredient customers for use in the manufacturing of other foods. Examples include mayonnaise, salad dressings, baked products and ice cream. The shells are used as a natural fertilizer and provide a good source of minerals for the soil. They are also sold back to the animal feed industry where they are further cleaned and ground and then used as a good source of calcium and other minerals."
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have seperated eggs for years..it IS cheaper than buying whites..the only time I use the carton whites is for smoothies..I have 3 dogs and dont think the fat is good for them either..so they dont get them. Their dogfood has everything they need. I could save them for scrambled eggs for my husband altho i feel the same about adding the fat to his diet. He needs it but gets plenty in other food. i mix my whites into my oatmeal and add some cinnamon (good for ya) and some DaVinci pancake syrun and do the micro for 2 mins and I have a wonderful custard-like bfast..love it.. I do hate waste so have to think on some of these ideas.

i hadn't thought of putting them in my oatmeal, i'll have to try that! do you use one or two?
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options

This didn't make sense to me. Why would a business throw away a usable part of a product, after all? So I had to look it up on the All Whites site (that's what I use) and found this in the FAQs.

The egg yolk is processed and packaged separately and is sold to Foodservice and Food Ingredient customers for use in the manufacturing of other foods. Examples include mayonnaise, salad dressings, baked products and ice cream. The shells are used as a natural fertilizer and provide a good source of minerals for the soil. They are also sold back to the animal feed industry where they are further cleaned and ground and then used as a good source of calcium and other minerals."

I was going to mention this as well!! I went to an Agricultural College and in one of my courses (Eggs & Dairy, :oP) we went over how bulk egg whites and yolks would be bought buy restaurants and bakeries! It does seem wasteful to just throw them away.. and yolks are good for you anyway. I use egg creations sometimes for convenience but use whole eggs too!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    People please do not feed your dogs your left overs! It just as bad for them as it is for you! That is why they make DOG food... It has everything they need in it! Working as a vet tech for 8 years I have seen dogs and cats come in with health problems that could be avoided if the loving owners would just stick to dog food! I know you feel like you are treating them and you love them but you can love them into an early grave as well! ok rant over!!
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    It does seem wasteful to just throw them away.. and yolks are good for you anyway. I use egg creations sometimes for convenience but use whole eggs too!

I like the All Whites for the convenience of not having to separate the yolk, but I like the yolks, so what i do is use one whole egg and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of whites. And all this talk of eggs made me hungry for breakfast, so now I'm having scrambled eggs with spinach and parmesan. Yum.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For a non-eating use: I use them to make a homemade conditioner for my hair. Mix 1-2 yolks with about 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and a tablespoon of raw honey. Add more for longer/thicker hair. Add to dry hair, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Shampoo 1-2 times.
    It's great for the hair!
    Love this idea! I will definitely try this with my previously discarded yolks. I saw an episode of Dr. Oz and he said to prevent dryness or brittle hair, apply these directly to your hair:
    1. Canola oil - I'm sure olive oil is fine too
    2. Honey
    3. Avacado
    4. Vinegar

If you color your hair, to brighten the color mix 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda to your shampoo in the palm of your hand before applying it.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I was going to mention this as well!! I went to an Agricultural College and in one of my courses (Eggs & Dairy, :oP) we went over how bulk egg whites and yolks would be bought buy restaurants and bakeries! It does seem wasteful to just throw them away.. and yolks are good for you anyway. I use egg creations sometimes for convenience but use whole eggs too!

Thank you guys for posting this. I was going to as well. I wish people would understand that, of course, the yolks are not just thrown aways at the factory. Tossing yolks down the drain seems so wasteful to me. It might save cents, but it is wasteful overall. I have a friend who tears the pages out of books as she reads them, (so the book gets lighter) when I ask her why she ruins perfectly good books she says, "Well, I PAID for it, I can do what I want." It's important to think about the bigger picture sometimes.
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options

Awesome, Im glad you guys found this out. I didn't think a company would just throw anything away. That would be a huge waste. So, if you don't use the yolks (reffering to the girl who posted this subject) just buy egg whites.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just send them down the garbage disposal with the shells. To me it's still cheaper to buy the whole egg and separate them myself, plus I eat 1 whole egg with my egg whites for the added flavor.

Egg shells can build up in the disposal and cause problems.

FYI.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating the entire egg. There is a lot of nutrition in the yolk,not just fat.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients/nutrient-chart

If you're looking to cut fat, I'd cut it out in some other area.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I eat them with the rest of the egg, like the good lord intended.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I eat them with the rest of the egg, like the good lord intended.

:laugh: :laugh: This!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating the entire egg. There is a lot of nutrition in the yolk,not just fat.

Exactly. If anything, I have the opposite problem. What do I do with the whites after I separate some eggs to add an extra yolk or two to my omelet. Usually, I just feed them to the dogs.

The yolks are the whole reason you're eating eggs in the first place!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I haven't started buying prepared egg whites yet, so I'm separating the egg white from the yolk and using just the egg white for my breakfast sandwich. I won't be using the egg yolks - custards just aren't worth the fat calories for me - so what do I do with them? What's the best way to get rid of them?

The best way is to cook them with the whites. The fats in the yolk help your body absorb the proteins in the whites. One or the other might be needed for a specific cooking technique (meringue, for example), but nutritionally, you should be eating both.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This.

Most of the nutrition is in the egg yolk. Removing it to me, seems counterproductive and pointless.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I'd eat them. Seriously why just egg whites is there a specific reason - I know some people do it to keep their fats down for medical reasons but if not why not eat the whole egg?