What Broadway play should I seein NYC?

Options
sgreene87
sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
Going to be in NYC soon and was wondering what Broadway play I should try to get tickets to attend. I have already seen Wicked and In the Heights, loved them both. I will also have my sixteen year old son with me so suggestions that would appeal to him would be helpful too.

Let's hear it, what do you guys recommend :smile:

Replies

• LM721
    LM721 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well, I haven't seen it, but I def. want to go see (one day) The Lion King. I saw clips of it on their website and it just looks ah-mazing!!!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Rent was good, but it's about aids, so idk about your 16 yr old & if there is any way you could not bring him... i LOVED Avenue Q, which is kind of like an adult sesame street lol
    BUT since you're going for family friendly :o) i enjoyed the Lion King & Mary Poppins & i haven't seen the Adams Family or Spiderman yet, but both are getting great reviews!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    American Idiot--Green Day's rock opera...you and he will LOVE it..it's fantastic.
  • bryony_pie
    Options
    I just saw the first preview of Catch Me If You Can on Broadway, and it was incredible. The lead actor (the Leonardo DiCaprio role) is played by this delicious guy named Aaron Tveit - I would pay to see it again in a second. Anyway, if you have seen the movie and think your 16-year-old might like it, I definitely recommend it.
  • defygravity
    defygravity Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Phantom of the Opera is amazing and a must see, however if you're in to 80's rock and roll (especially if your son is) you HAVE to see Rock of Ages. I've seen almost every show out there right now and these are the two on Broadway right now that I feel can stand up to WIcked. Enjoy your trip :)
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I recommending going to Cabaret. I went when I was 14/15, so I don't see any reason you son should go to it..
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your son would appreciate it but Mary Poppins was awesome! My husband and I went a few years ago. I love the movie and pretty much quote the entire thing; songs included. My husband hates musicals and was really dreading going but it's what I wanted for my birthday so he conceded. He absolutely loved it and would see it again if we're ever in NYC or if it shows somewhere close to our home. And the storyline is a little different from the movie.
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I live about 30 minutes from NYC and LOVE going in to see shows! My initial response was American Idiot. I saw it a couple of months ago and thought it was incredible. So much so that I am going to see it again next month. My only concern with that is there are very graphic scenes that depict heavy drug and alcohol use as well as explicit sexual encounters. I'm not sure if that's something you'd be interested in with your son being there next to you. Might make for an uncomfortable situation.

My second suggestion would be The Addams Family. I heard it was really good and I think it would be fitting for the two of you. Although it's off Broadway, Stomp is really good too!

Hope you have a great time no matter what you see :)
  • silvergrace
    Options
    Fuerza Bruta! It's not a broadway show, but definitely a great experience. The show is interactive, great music, visually stunning, lots of fun, and nothing like you've seen. If you want a broadway show i would highly recommend Memphis.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    If you are brave, go to TKTS Discount Booths on the day of a show and buy what is available.

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    American Idiot!
  • Jon_Rod
    Jon_Rod Posts: 158
    Options
    Im from NY and I would suggest ' THE LION KING" i loved that show
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Have seen a bunch of shows on BW like Wicked, Phantom, Mamma Mia and Chicgo. Would highly recommend Wicked. It's a great show.

If you are standing at the discount ticket booth in the middle of Times Square, look to the right. There is a visitor bureau next to the Palace Theater. If you go in there, there are ticket vendors in there that you can buy tickets to shows half price. We've gotten tickets there every time we've gone to NYC. This may not apply to brand new shows, but we saw alot of shows on the cheap.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    American Idiot--Green Day's rock opera...you and he will LOVE it..it's fantastic.

I want to see this and it is ending soon. :(
  • summerx275
    Options
    I am completely NOT a broadway fan, but was convinced to go see a show a few months ago. We saw Rock of Ages and it was really good. All songs from the 80s. The show has a little sexual side to it, but it isn't too bad. It just depends how open your family is to that stuff.
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I think we will try to get the discounted tickets as suggested and see where we end up. So looking forward to the trip!
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    Not sure if your son would appreciate it but Mary Poppins was awesome! My husband and I went a few years ago. I love the movie and pretty much quote the entire thing; songs included. My husband hates musicals and was really dreading going but it's what I wanted for my birthday so he conceded. He absolutely loved it and would see it again if we're ever in NYC or if it shows somewhere close to our home. And the storyline is a little different from the movie.

I took my daughter to see Mary Poppins! It was amazing!!!!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I saw wicked, Tarzan and Phantom of the opera when I went....

Wicked is Absolutely amazing

Tarzan was a Trip!

and Phantom was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!

Have fun!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Mary Poppins is GREAT, saw it in London. We are going to NYC in June with our 17 yo son and 19 yo daughter, and we've bought tickets to Rock of Ages, Spiderman Turn Off the Dark, and Lion King. My son chose the first 2.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Billy Elliot