What Broadway play should I seein NYC?

Options
2»

Replies

• DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Oh and my trip is 3 months away but I had very few choices when it came to getting the tickets I wanted so I would be careful waiting until you get there to buy your tickets. The summer is a very popular time for tourists and from what I've been told, a lot of the shows sell out and if not sold out, all that is left is nosebleed seats.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Have fun!
    I'm in Brooklyn and I am absolutely dying to see Wicked. Trying to convince the hubs but he's not really into it. May need to just go with my girlfriends.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know if Beauty and the Beast is still on broadway or not, but I saw it a couple of years ago and the set design and makeup was just fantastic! Plus, I'm a big fan of Disney movies, so it was cool to see it on stage!

Shannon
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Well if you've never seen Phantom then that is what you should see. I also hear Wicked is quite good. I don't know what your son enjoys...but there is a new musical coming out on the 24th called "The Book of Mormon." It was created by the creators of South park and Team America...it's going to be a really obscene type of musical but a lot of young kids like South Park. Don't know if it would be something you would enjoy though.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't know if Beauty and the Beast is still on broadway or not, but I saw it a couple of years ago and the set design and makeup was just fantastic! Plus, I'm a big fan of Disney movies, so it was cool to see it on stage!

Shannon

I don't think it is..but I agree that was one of the best I've ever seen. Tori Braxton was playing as Belle when I saw it...but it's been years.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have seen "Rock of Ages" twice, it is great!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Spiderman isn't open yet...or if it is, they're still having problems with it--which stinks, because I'm going to NYC as a chaperone for a school trip and that's one of the shows we're slated to see.

The Addams Family isn't that great...it was great to see Bebe Neuwirth and Nathan Lane perform, but the story line is weak and the songs are kinda lame.

I saw Memphis last year as well--AMAZING!!!

Billy Elliot is great as well.

Have you considered seeing Blue Man Group while you're there? Their show is pretty awesome! I got to go on stage last year--it was a blast!
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just dont see Chicago, maybe it was me, but I was bored out of my mind. I was really dissapointed in Broadway
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK has moved its official Opening date to Tuesday, June 14th and has announced a hiatus from April 19 – May 11th in order to incorporate changes into the show.
  • sgreene87
    sgreene87 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Spiderman isn't open yet...or if it is, they're still having problems with it--which stinks, because I'm going to NYC as a chaperone for a school trip and that's one of the shows we're slated to see.

The Addams Family isn't that great...it was great to see Bebe Neuwirth and Nathan Lane perform, but the story line is weak and the songs are kinda lame.

I saw Memphis last year as well--AMAZING!!!

Billy Elliot is great as well.

Have you considered seeing Blue Man Group while you're there? Their show is pretty awesome! I got to go on stage last year--it was a blast!

Actually I was wondering about the Blue Man Group, I think my son would really enjoy them. I think I will look into that as well thanks for the suggestion.
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with some of the previos comments- Avenue Q is hilarious and really honest- even a 16 year old would appreciate it. Spamalot is also great, but a lot like the movie Holy Grail so if you've seen it enough you might not be impressed.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Also, this isn't a musical, but "The 39 Steps", is FANTASTIC! There's 4 actors playing a multitude of roles and the are amazing. It's very fast paced and funny.

I've been to NYC the last 3 summers (this summer will make 4) as a chaperon for a middle school trip and the focus is on plays and musicals, so I've seen a ton!!