still have not lost

Options
I have been on this diet since 3/7, to day is 3/17, still ahve not lost any lbs, and I have been sticking to it religiously. I bike 30 mintues every day. I am 64 years old, have diabetes, will the scale ever move?
Nat

Replies

• Ridestolive6969
    Options
    Hi Nat,
    Because of your age and diabetes I would be curious about your diet. You should be eating a diet with a low glycemic index. We all have to turn our "fat burners" on and it is different for everyone. What kind of diet are you consuming, what is your baseline activity level, and have you cut calories as well as increasing exercise?

Sarah:drinker:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    just glancing over your food diary, perhaps you could try tracking your sodium (too much sodium and you retain water), as from what i see there is likely more sodium in your food choices than you might think *S*
    i know it sure make a big difference for me to stay under 1500mg sodium per day.
  • Boxer_Chick
    Options
    It will move. Have you spoken to your doctor? Sometimes diabetes meds are difficult to lose weight on. Don't get discouraged. You can do it.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    STICK WITH IT!!!!! Good for you for working at it! The results will come and you will feel amazing! Just remember that the older you get the harder it is to lose, and being diabetic makes it tough as well, but you are doing such a WONDERFUL thing for yourself!
    I'm a nurse and I can not begin to tell you how many older diabetic patients I've seen that just won't make any effort to help themselves, they just want a pill to fix everything and still want to eat whatever they want whenever they want, and then when they come in for a check up and have a FBS of 300 and a skyhigh A1C they don't understand and blame us, the doctors and nurses caring for them, for their poor health.
    Because of what I just said, I could seriously just hug you right now for doing what you're doing! Keep it up and you could be 100% diet controlled diabetic and never have to worry with insulin or any of the other horrible side effects that come with being diabetic.
    YOU ARE DOING SO GREAT FOR YOURSELF!!!
    The results WILL come, I promise, STICK WITH IT!
    I don't even know you and I am ridiculously proud of what you're doing!!!!! YAY FOR YOU!!!!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    just glancing over your food diary, perhaps you could try tracking your sodium (too much sodium and you retain water), as from what i see there is likely more sodium in your food choices than you might think *S*
    i know it sure make a big difference for me to stay under 1500mg sodium per day.

I did not see that you are recording water. Be sure to drink plenty of that as well.
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Thank you all for responding... I am planning on sticking with it, even though there has been no movement in the scale.. I need to stop weighing myself everyday, maybe 1x a week would be better.... I am on many pills for the diabetes, and hope to lose so that I can go OFF these pills.
    Nat
  • grabbit97
    Options
    I am drinking water.... most days 5 or 6 cups.... I try to do more... working on it.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    First, I notice you go over your calories most days. Is this because you are still hungry? If so, you may need to reasses how many calories to allow yourself. You can manually adjust it if you feel you need more. Here is a website to help determine how many you need each based on height, weight, years, and activity level. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-a-day.html

Also, you may want to track a few more things, like sodium for one. Too much sodium will make you retain water. Hope that helps and keep at it!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Looking quickly over your food diary, I also noticed you went over on your calories many days, but the amount over was generally not that much. My bigger concern is the amount of pre-made processed food you eat. I know it is convenient, but if you are not making it you really don't know what is in it that may be hindering your weight loss. Also remember when you buy pre-made stuff that have to give you at least as much as they say the serving is. If they don't they will get penalized. On the other hand, if the amount they give you is bigger than the stated serving size, there is no penalty. With some things that is not a big deal, but with calorie dense stuff, which much of the pre-made stuff is, that extra very quickly adds up.

My other question is how are you determining your portion sizes? I have used a good digital kitchen scale to do mine. Usually the measures like cups, tea or tablespoon, and the rest are not that accurate and are only an estimate by the food makers as are the number of items that make up the amount of calories. If you have a good kitchen scale and you are having say crackers. Look at the box and it says something like 4 crackers as a serving along with a weight that should be. Count out the crackers and weigh them. I am guessing you will find the amount of crackers are not accurate to the weight they should be. Usually they will be over weight which means more calories.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Nat, I also commend you for taking your health into your own hands. High Five for that! You are getting meals and snacks so appears you are eating something at least every 3 - 4 hrs while awake which is a good thing, especially for diabetics.
    I agree with others here, you should watch your sodium and water intake is critical as well.
    How are your blood sugars running? In a month or so ask Doctor to do another A1C and see how it is running.
    I come from an extremely diabetic family and know the difficulty with regulating diet/exercise. Also I have found losing weight after 50 yrs old to be more difficult :-( .

I noticed a few others mentioned you went over on Calories, ; you did, but not by a lot. I would be careful to make sure do not go under 1200 calories NET ...NET meaning counting exercise calories ...you can see this at the top of your page in the ticker beside your profile pic. Too many people do not realize what net means vs just 1200 cal intake period. Being diabetic it is an important thing to balance those calories.

Have you seen a Dietitian? Do you have a diabetic center or educator your doctor can send you to (should be covered under ins. or Medicare ..if in U.S.)

I have a walking program that you can also add that I have found beneficial>>> Leslie Sansone , she has several different discs out and I vary which one I do each day. ($9.95 at Wally World...LOL) You can start with 15 min walk and work up to faster pace at your own ability.

You may add me as friend if you like Nat.
    Good luck, and keep hanging in there. Mae :-)
  • grabbit97
    Options
    I think that my intake of sodium is a bit high, I am trying to drink more water to counteract that.... I do use some processed foods, I don't like to cook..... my FBS is 207 this morning, better than it's been (250's), and last A1C was 7.3, before that in 9/10 it was 5.8, so I guess I felll off the band wagon, and gained a few pounds...
  • Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    my nana had the same problem. But like you she noticed her bs going down which is great! Means your body its responding well! It took her a few more weeks to start losing. It will happen :)