MFP Runner Club - July 15

Options

Replies

• StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Everyone!!! I am the newborn of the group here, barely making baby steps, but we all have to start somewhere, right?

Just wanted to share that yesterday during my training session at the Y, I ran twice around the track and was winded but ready to move right into the next exercise. Plus I wasn't at a crawling pace like I was on Friday...woohoo!!! I know it is nothing compared to you major mile markers, but it is a start :drinker:

Hope you each have a great day!!! :smile:
    Way to get started. Great Job to, twice around the track is nothing to shrug off. :drinker:
  • StrawberryMargarita
    Options
    forced mself to go out this morning, wasn't really able to fully get into it. My daughter was doing better than me and I usually leave her behind. She loved it though, being able to totally keep and even be ahead of me most of the time.
    Went 3.2 miles, but I walked about 1 mile of it at least. It was also extra hot today and I wore long sweats. Big mistake.:grumble:
    I should take some energy stuff before runs like today, I have my cousin bringing me some special energy bars this weekend, but any one have a good suggestion on good energy bars but not too many calories?
    SM
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was totally unmotivated this morning. I ran 2.2 and was ready to quit but then my friend caught up to me and ask me to run with her, she is working on passing her PT test so I couldn't say no! When all was said and done I did a total of 4.4 miles. Walked 1 lap of it which is .75miles. But as unmotivated as I was I am not complaining in the least! We are finally doing our squadron 10k on Thursday so I think I will just do the hills/stationary bike tomorrow instead of running.

Great job to everyone who got there runs in!
  • food_junkie
    food_junkie Posts: 434
    Options
    So I didn't run today because my legs were sore from yesterday's run and I didn't get to sleep early enough last night. Hope everyone enjoys their workouts today! :smile:
  • RunFasterMommy
    Options
    Wow, so many great runs today! Great job everyone!

JD -- I get up early too, (3:40 am 2 times a week and then between 4 & 5 the other days) - I think that it's wonderful to get a great workout in early! Sorry about the dogs disturbing your wife... at least it's for a good cause!

I went out yesterday afternoon on the trail to do 45-50 minutes of running. So hard to know the exact distance since the garmin does not pick up through the trees. Anyway, at 25 minutes instead of turning back like I should have, I decided to run the perimeter of the park and make my way around instead of going back the same way. Well, I got on this trail called the sidewinder... and it just snaked around and around and around. I really got my direction turned around. I finally hit the main road and decided I needed to turn left to get to the main gate where I was parked. No problem, I'm at 45 minutes now, I can make it back in time (actually had a tap class I needed to get to). I was running down the main road and I started second guessing myself and thought that I was so turned around in my mind I should go the other direction -- So, I turned around and started running the other way. I reached the end of the road and my heart sank - I'd turned and gone the wrong way. I then went out on the main paved road and ran another mile or so around the park to my car. My 45-50 minute run turned in to 70 minutes. I bet I was really close to the finish when I second guessed myself and turned around. DUR!

Anyway, I made it back to the dance studio where my girls were dancing - and took my first tap class. LOL. It was hilarious but my girls have been wanting me to take the adult class so I can tap with them. It was fun, and a good workout too.

Today is an hour of weights with my trainer and then another trail run tonight - just have 40 minutes on my schedule... let's see if I can actually find my way out tonight!

Shel
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many great runs today! Great job everyone!

JD -- I get up early too, (3:40 am 2 times a week and then between 4 & 5 the other days) - I think that it's wonderful to get a great workout in early! Sorry about the dogs disturbing your wife... at least it's for a good cause!

I went out yesterday afternoon on the trail to do 45-50 minutes of running. So hard to know the exact distance since the garmin does not pick up through the trees. Anyway, at 25 minutes instead of turning back like I should have, I decided to run the perimeter of the park and make my way around instead of going back the same way. Well, I got on this trail called the sidewinder... and it just snaked around and around and around. I really got my direction turned around. I finally hit the main road and decided I needed to turn left to get to the main gate where I was parked. No problem, I'm at 45 minutes now, I can make it back in time (actually had a tap class I needed to get to). I was running down the main road and I started second guessing myself and thought that I was so turned around in my mind I should go the other direction -- So, I turned around and started running the other way. I reached the end of the road and my heart sank - I'd turned and gone the wrong way. I then went out on the main paved road and ran another mile or so around the park to my car. My 45-50 minute run turned in to 70 minutes. I bet I was really close to the finish when I second guessed myself and turned around. DUR!

Anyway, I made it back to the dance studio where my girls were dancing - and took my first tap class. LOL. It was hilarious but my girls have been wanting me to take the adult class so I can tap with them. It was fun, and a good workout too.

Today is an hour of weights with my trainer and then another trail run tonight - just have 40 minutes on my schedule... let's see if I can actually find my way out tonight!

Shel

What an exciting run! lol
    Isn't that the worst feeling? I'm glad you found your car and you didn't lose your way too much. If that would have been me, I would have been lost. I sometimes lose my car in a parking lot.

Question? When you get up at 3:30am, what do you do? Do you have a treadmill? This is so inspiring!

Good luck on your run tonight!
    Mireille
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Hi running buddies!

Great job today everybody! I must say we are quite an impressive group. I did a speed workout today. I ran a warm-up mile, four 800's as fast as I could with a minute and a half in between followed by a cooldown mile. I feel like I'm getting faster all the time. I felt great, and it was a nice cool day for a run.:glasses:

Slender1-

My husband had the same problem with a sore calf a year or so ago. He would start out running and it would suddenly cramp up and hurt like crazy so badly that he couldn't run at all. Finally somebody told him to take magnesium supplements and it took care of his problem. I don't know if that's the same as what you have, but sometimes a lack of potassium or magnesium causes that problem. He knew it wasn't potassium because he eats a banana every day, but the magnesium was just what he needed. Hope this helps. Good luck.:flowerforyou:
  • RunFasterMommy
    Options
    Isn't that the worst feeling? I'm glad you found your car and you didn't lose your way too much. If that would have been me, I would have been lost. I sometimes lose my car in a parking lot.

Question? When you get up at 3:30am, what do you do? Do you have a treadmill? This is so inspiring!

Mireille

Mireille -- when I get up that early I catch a ferry to work - then I run outside along the lake when I get to work at 5:30 - shower and then am in my desk by 7 am. However, I will say that I have run outside at that time of the morning (4 am). I just use a really bright headlamp! Night runs are invigorating!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Mireille

Mireille -- when I get up that early I catch a ferry to work - then I run outside along the lake when I get to work at 5:30 - shower and then am in my desk by 7 am. However, I will say that I have run outside at that time of the morning (4 am). I just use a really bright headlamp! Night runs are invigorating!

hmmmmmm.....

Maybe I'll try & drag my carcass out of bed early tomorrow & get my longer run it. It's supposed to be 95 degrees tomorrow & I sure hate running in the heat. :sick:
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    It's 31 miles
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I made my 18 minute goal and exceeded it by 2 minutes. I jogged for 20 minutes straight. It's like a piece of cake to most of you guys but to me it is a huge accomplishment! This is exciting! :bigsmile:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I made my 18 minute goal and exceeded it by 2 minutes. I jogged for 20 minutes straight. It's like a piece of cake to most of you guys but to me it is a huge accomplishment! This is exciting! :bigsmile:

This is fabulous!!
    Way to go girl, I know that exact feeling (no better feeling)! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    It's 31 miles

31???????? holy cow!!! bow.gif

How long do you think it'll take you???
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Hello :flowerforyou:

No running for me today. I did go shoe shopping! I can't remember which shoe I ended up with. It is an Asic though. They always have to order my shoes due to my huge shoe size. I can't wait to get my new shoes!

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Hello :flowerforyou:

No running for me today. I did go shoe shopping! I can't remember which shoe I ended up with. It is an Asic though. They always have to order my shoes due to my huge shoe size. I can't wait to get my new shoes!

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.

We both have new shoes!! {{woot woot}}

Now that my stoooopid blisters have gone away, I'm looking forward to breaking them in in the morning. :drinker:

I'll have to go to bed by 7:00 tonight, but what the hey! :tongue:
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options

20 minutes is a huge accomplishment! Congrats- Everyday you'll go a bit farther!

Not sure if I'm going to get a run in today, but I walked for an hour with the kidos. Tomorrow I'm going to Knock some more time off.
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'M BACK!!!!!! Ok, I haven't been posting very often since we got back from vacation because I lost all motivation to run the neighborhood. Kinda got in a slump, but no more!:bigsmile: The hubby and I just finished level 2 of Jillian Michaels Shred, and then a 30 minute strength training. Sitting down to dinner now and then it's off to walk the kids through the neighborhood. I'm hoping that posting this will keep me motivated to jog the neighborhood just so that I can come back and feel victorious!

Even when I haven't been posting I have been reading everyday. I just want to congratulate everyone on their successes, and thank you all for giving me the encouragement and motivation I needed to get back on it! I love this thread!

:heart: Christina
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! what a great post to come home to after a long day!

After herding the kiddies around all day, I went to Body Pump class and had a great time because I upped my weights this week!! I didn't get to run yet because DH is still not home from work. :grumble:

Congrats on the new shoes Kechie!! :drinker:

got to tend to my little ones - catch ya later!!

:heart:
    Tricia
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow that felt good! Ran the neighborhood 3/4 of the way, trading up pulling a wagon with 60 pounds in it. Not as long as I wanted, but we had a great time! My son got out of the wagon at the 1/2 mile mark and decided to race me home. It was amazing until we got close to the house and the little snot beat me!!! He's still running around hollering "I beat Momma!" Can't wait for tomorrow: I challenged him to a rematch!

:heart: Christina
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Gosh, I haven't been in here for a long time. I just wanted to update you fine runners that I haven't given up because of shin splints, in fact, they no longer exist :drinker:

I have done so well improving on my jogging that yesterday I was up to 17 minutes straight without stopping. Actually 17 minutes and 30 seconds, every second counts right?

Today I will up it another minute and try to jog for 18 minutes. I can't wait until I can do the entire 30 minutes without stopping.

Anyways, you guys rock! :heart:

Way to go Lina!! and you betcha....every minute, heck...every second counts!