Lo carb options........advice?

Options
I was talking to a client today and she mentioned Shirataki noodles. She said they were pretty lo carb....anyone have some substantial info on these, and how they taste? Also, any other lo carb options for my so sadly missed carb world would be FANTASTIC!!! Thanks!

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I did not like the noodles, they were really rubbery and *gaggy* to me. I love using grated cauliflower as rice ( you can google lots of recipes ) I also love making butternut squash fries! They taste like sweet potato fries! Mashed cauliflower is a great mashed potato substitute :) hope this helps!
  • SammieGetsFit
    SammieGetsFit Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can attest to the cauliflower rice. I had some yesterday, and it was better than most rice I've had in my life. Another poster shared this link with me, so I'll pay it forward.

I haven't tried a lot of the recipes yet, but they sound fantastic.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I love those noodles! I use them in stir frys! If you think they are going to taste like normal ones then you might not like them! The best thing is to rinse them off and let them dry before cooking with them. If you go onto Hungrygirl.com and type in Shirataki noodles you can find a lot off recipes. Here's some info about the Noodles

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-shirataki-noodles.html
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You say you miss carb world...are you not eating any carbs?
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You say you miss carb world...are you not eating any carbs?
    Im still eating carbs, but very lo carb(currently doing a Low Glycemic Index diet, w/ 1hr cardio/day&strength training 4 times/week) for my unfortunate diagnosis of PCOS....:grumble: I got diagnosed about a year ago and it has been the main cause of my crazy weight gain..(gained so much so fast that I have stretchmarks on my stomach!:angry: )....it is also VERY hard to work it off because of my hormonal imbalance. Im finally just starting to get into a groove, yet once in a while I crave some starchy foods that I miss. I've been doing really good lately w/ the diet aspect, and my workouts are no problem, I actually LOVE working out. Thats how I originally got diagnosed. I was working out ALOT and not losing ANYTHING. I got diagnosed got put on the right meds, and now just trying to lose all the weight from that cataclysmic weight gain...
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so nosy :embarassed: Being a trainer, I always question when I see someone is not eating carbs! I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis of PCOS. I am glad to hear you are getting into the groove! The fact that you LOVE to work out is awesome and it sounds like you have the hard part down too, " I've been doing really good lately w/ the diet aspect". The food part for me seems to be the hardest! So kudos!! :flowerforyou:

I personally like the shirataki noodles when they are prepared the correct way and as stated before, if you are not expecting them to taste like a pasta per say. I kind of think of them like a rice noodle (thai or oriental type noodle).

Good luck on your journey...sounds like you are doing well!
  • fifibox
    fifibox Posts: 69
    Options
    hey guys where u from? im from oz and never heard of any of these low carb foods but keen to try them. holler if u wanna give me some more details :-) Fi
  • carolynbeer9
    carolynbeer9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat the carba nada noodles they are really good.and super lo carb
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I usually skip the noodles and just eat the meat sauce. Sometimes I'll use spaghetti squash, but I think cheese melted on a tomato meat sauce is tastiest.

Try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for more ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • sweetmamajamma
    sweetmamajamma Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the zoodles from the Veggie Noodle Company!!
    Here is a link to their nutrition facts!!
    http://veggienoodleco.com/nutrition-facts/

Tonight I posted a recipe for veggie fajita's that I made up to use with the zuchinni noodles and it was even kid approved!! The entire meal was under 12 carbs!
    (It's over on instagram 4purejoy)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options