Need Snack Suggestions

Options
jenbusick
jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
I need ideas for high-protein, low-sugar, readily portable, kid-friendly snacks that don't need refrigeration.

Right now I have on my possibilities list raisins, bananas, and nuts. I could really use more.

Replies

• jifferdoodle
    Options
    kid friendly (but not diet friendly):
    peanut butter filled pretzels
    Cliff Z Bars
    grapes
    shelled peanuts

Dieter friendly: (and I recommend having an insulated lunch sack with you every day!)
    carrots
    peanut butter
    almond butter
    celery sticks
    almonds (raw)
    apple

ps every day I have the same exact snacks...
    am snack- 11 almonds, 1 piece of fruit
    afternoon snack- 8 baby carrots, 2 cups celery, 1 T peanut butter
    evening snack- protein shake (1 scoop Isopure, 1 cup mixed berries)

The rest of my meals are more creative so that I don't get bored :)
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Almonds, boiled eggs, string cheese (ok, that one requires refrigeration if it's going to be out more than a few hours), peanut butter with apple or celery (be sure your peanut butter doesn't contain sugar)
  • jenbusick
    Options
    kid friendly (but not diet friendly):

Aha, good point, I should have mentioned these don't necessarily need to be diet-friendly. The kid in question needs the snacks to get her through an intensive physical therapy program, and she's supposed to maintain a high BMI because of some medication she takes, so, lo-cal not required!

Thanks for the suggestions! She will LOVE the PB filled pretzels.
  • jenbusick
    Options
    Almonds, boiled eggs, string cheese (ok, that one requires refrigeration if it's going to be out more than a few hours), peanut butter with apple or celery (be sure your peanut butter doesn't contain sugar)

Do boiled eggs keep without refrigeration? She'll eat those, but I though they needed to be kept cool.
  • WanderLaura
    WanderLaura Posts: 135
    Options
    Hey!! Granola is a really great snack for her, and in moderation, for a diet as well!! If you want to make your own, shoot me a message and I'll give you my favorite recipe. :) Good luck!!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can leave a boiled egg unrefrigerated for several hours, provided that it has previously been chilled and has not been peeled (and is therefore much less susceptible to bacteria invasion)
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    My no-fridge snacks (that I keep in my purse for "emergencies") are a Fiber One granola bar, Luna bar, almonds, and cashews. :)
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    I like the suggestions other posters have offered. Some aditional ones are:

sunflower seeds, beef (or turkey) jerkey, pepperoni, dry cereal.

Best of luck!
  • jenbusick
    Options
    You can leave a boiled egg unrefrigerated for several hours, provided that it has previously been chilled and has not been peeled (and is therefore much less susceptible to bacteria invasion)

So I could take it out of the fridge, put it in the snack bag, and send it along with her to a 4-hour therapy session. Thx, that's what I needed to know!
  • jenbusick
    Options
    I like the suggestions other posters have offered. Some aditional ones are:

sunflower seeds, beef (or turkey) jerkey, pepperoni, dry cereal.

Best of luck!

Hmmm I hadn't thought of pepperoni, but she might really like that. Dry cereal, too, if it's not the sugary kind. Thx!