outside running v treadmill running

Hi Guys,

A question for any wise runners out there; is running outside easier than treadmill running?

I seem to be able to run for longer out side than i can on a treadmill. i always end up having a stitch on the treadmill and then having to walk for a bit! Where i live is kind of hilly with up and down bits and a few flat bits in between. So i figure it should be harder than the treadmill which is always set on an 1.5 incline.

Thanks for reading, any advice readily accepted!

Lins

Replies

• IanGiles
    IanGiles Posts: 54
    I'm the opposite, I find it much easier on the treadmill... That could be becuase the route I use has rather a large hill in it.

Ian
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    i can go longer outside than on a treadmill and i prefer outside too
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    You should burn more calories and get fitter quicker by running outside as you have to take into account the differences in terrain i.e.. gravel, grass, concrete, tarmac etc. You also have continuous differences in gradient.

Most people will say treadmill running is a lot easier but a lot more boring as the scenery doesn't change, at least outside you have the changing environment to occupy your mind along with all that fresh air.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Outside is way harder for me. What speed do you set the treadmill to?

I've heard you need to set the incline on the treadmill to 2% to simulate running outside.
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    I've heard you need to set the incline on the treadmill to 2% to simulate running outside.

Ive heard this aswell. But I can still run further outside, the scenary helps distract me from the pain =D
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    outside allways shows up as more cals on my hrm
    allthough tread mill has less shock on your joints (if you have joint probs)

i prefer outside . if i get bored after say a mile i can turn round and have to run back = 2 miles
    if i get fed up on treadmill i just press stop = 1 mile

oh and also if your im a full gym you may not want to go for a spirt in case you look a prat :blushing:
    as when you outside you do what u like stop for a rest slow to a walk star jumps lol ect ect

ect ect

but its what works for you
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    I started C25K on the treadmill but I restarted week 3 outside. I want to be able to run, not move my legs so that the treadmill belt won't throw me across the room :P
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    I find tredmill alot easier. There is no "push" function when running on a tredmil like there is outside.

I am doing C25K also. I do 2 sessions on a tredmill and 2 (yes I throw in an extra to even it up) outside.

Thanks for the 2% incline tip though. Will try that tomorrow and let you know.
  • linscave
    linscave Posts: 59 Member
    I set the treadmill to 9kmph. which is what I was advised to do by the gym trainer. they also advised the 1.5 incline to try and make it easier on the knees.
    Some of my outside run is across fields as well as country lanes.

Maybe it is the scenery that makes the difference. it stunning this morning with a nip in the air but the sun shining. Definately lifts the spirits!

Lins
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    I've read that most people find a treadmill easier. Personally, I don't have one, but I do have a reservoir and an old railway path nearby.

I'm running out of routes, tbh, but I do hate running by roads where lots of people can see me.
  • linscave
    linscave Posts: 59 Member
    It took me ages to get up the courage to run outside as we live in a small village with lots of outdoorsy people. I still won't run on the main road but can now run round the village without feeling everyone is looking at me!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I agree lins. I've been running for only 3 months now but I find it tons easier to run outdoors than indoors. It's definitely the "boredom" factor for me. All I do is watch my little line go slowly around the track on the monitor. I've tried watching TV, Movies and listening to my ipod but any more than 3 miles on the treadmill is torture for me. Outside I'm free! I love the sights, sounds, smells, wind...everything. I can go 8 miles easily.

I even beat my treadmill 5k time a couple of weeks ago in a very hilly course in pouring down rain.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I've mostly run on a treadmill. One thing I *hate* about it is that there's no breeze created as I run, and I sweat like mad. Yesterday was my first day running more than a mile outside (I ran 3), and I enjoyed it much more. Tomorrow is my first race, and it's further than I've ever run before, so that'll be the real test. :smile:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Physically, it's technically easier to run on the treadmill, yes.

When you're on the treadmill, you have a few differences (advantages):

-There is no "toe-off". As the treadmill is moving underneath you, you just lift your foot to keep going. Outdoors, you have to actually push off with your toes. You'll probably notice his in your calves the next day!

-The treadmill is freakishly smooth and flat. So you're not dealing with any changes in incline and your legs and ankles don't have to stabilize you each time you hit the ground as you are always landing on an even surface. That helps to keep your from injuries, but it's less work.

-The treadmill controls your pace. Lots of us try to go too fast outside!

-The treadmill shortens your stride, which is a much more efficient (and safer) way to run.

-The treadmill absorbs some of the shock for you. When you run outside, your body takes the full shock of landing on the ground.

You can set the treadmill on a 1%-1.5% incline to counteract some of the differences.

But mentally, it's a lot easier to run outside. It's much more interresting, at certain times of year you'll feel much cooler, and it's easier to instantly adjust your pace with the terrain or how you're feeling.
  • fifibox
    fifibox Posts: 69
    My friend is a PT and he said outside is def harder and also works more calories cos its not moving the ground for you. he said the reason you might be finding it harder on the treadmill is because the time seems to go a lot slower... try doing it in front of your favourite tv show :-) Fifi xo
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Treadmill for me is easier, but running on a treadmill and running outside are two different things. For training for a marathon or race, I would definitely suggest running outside instead of thinking that treadmill running is going to prepare you for a run outdoors.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    I agree with many of the PP... for me, treadmill is easier but I prefer outdoors. I can run farther on the treadmill but I feel like I get a better workout outdoors. All the variables: wind resistance, hills (even very slight ones), unlevel ground, etc. all make outdoors a better workout... In my opinion. :) I would say its definitely the change of scenery, lack of boredom that makes u feel like outside is easier!!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Treadmill is physically easier but mentally much much harder.
    For side stitches, I try to stand up taller.

Outside is way more enjoyable.
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    I find outside running more difficult due to the terrain (hills around me). On the treadmill, I'm just running a flat surface :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    This isn't a question with a generic answer- this is an individual thing. Some prefer the measurability and predictability of the treadmill, others prefer the freedom afforded by outside. I personally can't turn my brain off as I need to if I'm on a treadmill. Sounds like you prefer outside. Drop the Dreadmill and hit the pavement! www.mapmyrun.com will help you map your distance. Good luck!