Beer :(

Options
t_rog
t_rog Posts: 363 Member
Ok, I have quickly learned that beer is my ultimate weakness. I LOVE it and am really not too happy about the fact that it sits somewhere between 150-200 calories PER DRINK. What to do? Tried MGD 64 last night...horrible. Beer lovers, did you have to give it up completely? I'd prefer not to.

Replies

• ricecrop
    ricecrop Posts: 1
    Options
    Miller Lite - 96 calories! Lots of carbs, though.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Drinking is the ultimate downfall for me. I used to drink pretty much everyday and drank a lot. I cut it down to 3-4 times a week...and that turned into only on weekends. Right now I pretty much drink on Fri and Sat and have been stuck around 200lbs. I know I should cut it even more and drink once a week.
  • sevangelista
    Options
    Amstel Light tastes better then the most
  • meg427
    meg427 Posts: 6
    Options
    Michelob ultra has 95 calories I believe and taste yummy =)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Not had anything since Christmas Eve and I was a big beer drinker!!, for me is messes with my weight loss big style so I decided to cut it out for now, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would.

I just see it as empty calories now, you don't get anything back other than a bad head!! lol

Maybe to start with have 1 beer then 1 water and gradually cut it down?

Good Luck with it.

Ben
  • JD1805
    JD1805 Posts: 45
    Options
    i drink Blue Moon It is 170 something calories but i factor it in as part of a meal. Sad but that is okay you have to do what you have to do .. I love beer!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Miller Lite - 96 calories! Lots of carbs, though.

3.2 carbs is not a lot...
  • rnrgames2
    rnrgames2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink light beer if necessary & then up the exercise to enjoy a good one now & again. My husband jokes that I should have a shirt that says "will walk for wine"
  • allystone
    allystone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I know. I love beer as well. :(
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Heineken Light is around 99 calories-- which is awesome since it was always my favorite beer anyway! :D
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Yes this is a sad topic. :sad: I still have a beer or 6 here and there. But not on a regular basis like I used to. I save it for the "free day".

Ok I have to stop looking at this thread now. All the people posting about the lite "beer" is making me want to vomit. That garbage has almost nothing in common with beer :tongue:
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I drink light beer if necessary & then up the exercise to enjoy a good one now & again. My husband jokes that I should have a shirt that says "will walk for wine"

:laugh: such a great idea..
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    Bud Select 55 has been what I turned too. The MGD 64 was gross - like beer flavored water. But the Bud 55 isn't too bad.

Just remember the overall effects of alcohol don't do you any justice when you are trying to loose weight. But when I gotta have one, it's a 55.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I am a homebrewer and it cost me about 35 pounds (see my peak weight). I luh-HUUUUV beer!

Then I realized it makes a fine reward. Where I used to drink upwards of 1,000 calories A DAY, I now "treat" myself to one or two after a long run. If I burn 700 calories running, I feel like 300 to 400 calories of a GOOD (not mgd 64, not miller light) beer is a fine reward.

This is why I still brew. Only my batches last WAY longer now, since I only run that long 2 times a week :)
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

:laugh: such a great idea..

Will run for BEER!
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have not given it up yet. If i know that i'm going to have a beer i will work out in an attempt to compensate for the calories. Yesterday i knew i'd be having a few beers at a friend's place after dinner, so i rode my bike on the trainer at a good hard pace for about an hour in the morning. I've been consistent about this and have been losing weight (knock on wood). I am also still drinking whatever brand i want (i.e. i'd rather stop drinking than switch to something that doesn't taste good to me). The same can be said for desserts, etc. If i know i'm going to want a piece of cake, i'll do some sort of exercise to compensate for the calories.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I too vote for Michelob Ultra. Less than 100 calories and isn't bad at all. I tried a blueberry beer the other day and it was absolutely delicious...until I logged it and found out it was 250 cals/12 oz. Yikes!
  • emaybe
    emaybe Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... with whisky and wine (not a regular beer drinker).

If you're drinking beer because you enjoy the taste, limit yourself to one or two, and make sure you exercise more on the days you plan to indulge to compensate for the calorie overload.

If you're drinking because you're a drinker, enjoy that one good beer and then switch to the crappy lite ones when your tastebuds get desensitized (this is an altered version of my old standby: "I can only afford one top shelf drink, then I will drink the rail liquor when I can't taste it").

I've been struggling to not drink as much as I used to (check my diary, I downed over 800 calories of whisky on Friday night -- ugh) and it's not easy. I'm not an alcoholic by any means, but my lifestyle (service/music industry) doesn't really set me up to abstain from the booze.

One trick I've learned is to try alternating cocktails with a pint glass of water. It takes TIME to down a pint of water, which equals less time for drinking if you're at a bar. It also gives the booze a few minutes to "kick in" so if you're trying to get a buzz, it'll feel like it's working before you need another. Also works wonders for the hangover.

One more thing: make SURE that you're not eating less to allow calories for alcohol. This will wreck your metabolism and make you feel like absolute poop the next day. Believe me; I've done it, I know.

Good luck... feel free to add me as a friend if you want a (crapIshouldn'tbe)drinking(thismuch) buddy. :)
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I too love beer and I the only light beer that I can stomach is Beck's premier ultra light. It actually tastes like beer. I will still have other beers that I love when I go out...I just plan for it and add it into my calories. Sometimes I go way over, but I do like beer (and wine).
  • chickenlittle
    Options
    bud select 55 = 55 calories!!