Beer :(

Options

Replies

• jmlitton33
    jmlitton33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. How often do you drink beer? I am an absolute beer lover and snob, so I knew there was no way I was giving it up. I gave up other things, instead. Like soda, I don't drink that, not even diet soda. I tried the diet stuff, just not good. Anywho, all I do is cut out things that I don't really need, that way I can treat myself to a beer every now and then. I try to keep it on weekends, not weeknights, too.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I save it for special occasions.. So far since Jan 1st, I've only drank on two occasions.. Last one was Superbowl Sunday and the next will be a Phillies / Mets game I'm going to on 4/6.. I figure once a month won't kill me... And I log it and the food I eat that day even though I know it isn't going to be great..
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I didn't give it up, but I have it a lot less.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm...beer. I grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where beer and cheese were considered staples of life. Along with bratwurst. I refuse to give up my beer, but I have sacrificed the quantity/quality/frequency.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Knowing I am going to consume a lot of extra calories that night, I workout extra hard.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Mrs_McFadden Posts: 1,139
    Options
    May I suggest wine? :flowerforyou:
    I have to say- I was THRILLED to find out it is so low in calories :love:
  • bethaltman
    Options
    michelob, when i have a beer, is really good. but it has to be real cold!
  • bethaltman
    Options
    Go Cheeseheads!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My husband jokes that I should have a shirt that says "will walk for wine"

Love it! Me too!!!
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I cut way back on the beer, but when I do have it I'm with Taso. Have to go for the good stuff.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    did you see my st pats log? i had 1200 cals of Guiness alone lol
  • novakayne
    novakayne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink light beer if necessary & then up the exercise to enjoy a good one now & again. My husband jokes that I should have a shirt that says "will walk for wine"

:laugh: such a great idea..

God you husband found a good woman. My wife hates beer and I love beer. Not that pissy no flavor beer like the "low calorie" or light beers. I love full flavored big body beers which cramped my style when I first started my dieting. Best bet leave it alone. Drink occasionally. It's harder than leaving the sweet alone for me but pure willpower helps. Clearly some days you just need a beer, have one =). One a couple times a week won't hurt in my opinion.
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options
    did you see my st pats log? i had 1200 cals of Guiness alone lol

Speaking of Guinness, it is SHOCKINGLY "light" on calories for such a tasty stout.
    I'd take one Guinness over 2 MGD 64 or Bud Select 55's (for darn near the same calories) any day of the week.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i dont drink wine but i do like the odd alcoholic cider.

as with everything i put in my gob, if i want it, i eat it. so long as i am within my calorie goal 90% of the time then all is good.

im not even too fussed if i go 50 - 100 over.

if you cut it all out, you will end up binging on it later.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    You don't have to give up beer, or suffer the 'light' crap. I know I can't stand the taste. If I'm going to down a beer and take in those calories I better really enjoy it. Why waste even half the calories if I don't like what I'm drinking? You don't have to give it up, just cut back. Limit yourself to one or two a week. Beer isn't bad for you, it actually has a lot of health benefits, such as helping to prevent cancer, decreasing your risks of heart disease, helps to lower high blood pressure, strengthens your bones, etc. In fact, I've read some articles in health and fitness magazines that you can have one a day and that's great for your body. Unfortunately when trying to lose weight, that may not be the BEST idea. Two or three a week though certainly won't hurt you, the calories aren't THAT bad. I look at a beer more as a snack than a beverage, and in terms of snacks, especially considering the health benefits, the calories really aren't bad at all. =)
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ok I have to stop looking at this thread now. All the people posting about the lite "beer" is making me want to vomit. That garbage has almost nothing in common with beer :tongue:

Agree 100%. The lite beers might only have 55 calories but to me the taste is awful! :sick:
    I'll just drink a real beer and log it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

Ok I have to stop looking at this thread now. All the people posting about the lite "beer" is making me want to vomit. That garbage has almost nothing in common with beer :tongue:

I'd go further than that. I can't imagine that any of the names of brews bandied around here could properly be called 'beer'. Horrid corn/wheat based flavoured water.....

give me some good old English hops in a glass with some malt anyday.......

:)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think looking for light beers is overthinking it. Probably not something that many will agree with but in my book the best way to avoid the calories from drinking beer is to drink less beer.

Sure you can work out extra before or after drinking, and this will make up for the extra calorie intake, but the thing is, you have to consider not only the calories and carbs etc of drinking, but also the nasty effect it has on your body in countless other ways. Drinking lots of beer and healthy living are not two things that go hand in hand.

So you like beer? Tough luck. It's bad for you.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options

I'd go further than that. I can't imagine that any of the names of brews bandied around here could properly be called 'beer'. Horrid corn/wheat based flavoured water.....

give me some good old English hops in a glass with some malt anyday.......

:)

I think my husband would agree, what you Americans call 'BEER' is not even given that name here, we call it 'lager' pale and watery stuff, what my Husband likes is English Beer - Ale, dark and hoppy and he loves it. I HATE it with a passion, hate the smell and the taste, but I grew up in a time and a place where you kind of had to have a beard and a deep voice to drink beer.......