8 Secretly Salty Foods

Options
Salt adds flavor to foods, but too much can wreak havoc on your health. Watch out for these foods to avoid sodium overload.

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/8-secretly-salty-foods

Replies

• Amarylis13
    Amarylis13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I never knew until recently that cottage cheese had sodium. Really surprised that plain CHICKEN has sodium?? That I just learned from your article. :noway:
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Good info I also found some salt free meat rubs........:drinker: like.
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I never knew until recently that cottage cheese had sodium. Really surprised that plain CHICKEN has sodium?? That I just learned from your article. :noway:
    I haven't looked at the article, but I've seen several different reports talking about how manufacturers "enhance" the chicken with solutions/broth in order to make it more plump. They say it on the packaging that it's enhanced. You just have to look for the packages that say the chicken is not enhanced.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    animals store salt in there muscle tissue, that is why herbivores seek out salt licks and predators don't.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you are so right. i just had half a cup of cottage cheese and it has 490mg of sodium. what!!!!
  • HoneymoonSlimDown
    Options
    I was suprised to see the sodium values on the nutrition information at Subway!!! A 6inch Turkey on Wheat bread has over 900mg of Sodium!!!
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that cornflakes has over 500 mg! Why does cereal need all that salt????
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    The quickest and easiest way to reduce salt in your diet is to eat whole foods and make what you can from scratch. A lot of the "hidden" sodium is in foods that are very easy to make from scratch: like soups and sauces. Lunch meats are loaded, but there are some great low sodium choices out there now.

And while it's another post entirely, take a look at sugar content the next time you read a label. It is everywhere as well...including foods that you would never expect it to be in.