Anyone else going through divorce or been through one?

Options
Hello MFP,
I am currently going through a divorce which is why I gained so much weight since last year and I finally told myself to live for me and better myself. Just wondered if anyone else has been through the same situation and if so add me for some extra support!! :smile:

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have been going through it going on 3 years....
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I got divorced back in 2003 after 20 yrs.. I haven't met anyone since. I have always been overweight but the weight has been coming on since then even more. Was at my highest last year of 239. Lost some since I joined here.
  • watsonjm7
    Options
    In the same boat and know exactly how you feel. I'm determined to better myself. I know I need more self-discipline, but I also need help from friends. (Oh wait, she took those, too.) :laugh:
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Been there. Done that.

It's been a year and a half and it's really hard.

We have twins so there is a lot of need to communicate and get along and I feel like I am always on the losing end.

Firnds help. Counseling helps.

It's better now than it was but it is still very hard.

I'm older though, 46. I think it would be much easier if you are young and have no children.

I wish I had better nrews.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Not a divorce, but I have been going through a really nasty break up from a long term relationship! We broke up about 4 months ago and it has been rough. Friend request sent.
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Good for you alienblonde!! You will meet someone, I have learned through this whole process that it is better to focus on yourself and make yourself happy and everything else will fall into place.

Sorry bout you having to go through this process for three years because it has been around 6 mo for me but then again it was a lot of back and forth of trying to work it out but didn't. I am ready for it to be final because even though the decision was made, I still feel like I am in limbo!

Good luck to both you ladies!!
  • VintageBeauty
    Options
    I have been going through a divorce for three years.. I gained a ton of weight during the first year.. got up to 245lbs. I have lost 50 pounds now. It has been a nightmare.. but i feel im finally taking back control of my life.. best wishes to you all!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I am divorced but my experience is unusual. It was probably one of the most amicable, stress-free divorces in history. Add me as a friend if you like, but I don't know how well I will be able to commiserate. I can sympathize, though.
  • missdana2011
    Options
    Yep...and I spent 5 years hitting the wine bottle. Hard habit to break...but im trying. Gained 20lbs too and just couldnt break the cycle....until now..
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes Mam...I think it's the "never-ending-divorce." I left him now 5 years ago, on my second long term relationship since him. He was a complete jack*@^! I lost my entire being while I was with him, and gained so much weight. I am happy to report though it will get better, it DOES get better! I am now in love with my perfect man and are planning our wedding next fall.

That man use to tell me I was fat all the time....I was with him for nearly 7 years and 2 children, I gained roughly 30-40lbs through it all. When I met him he weight 240, when I left probably close to 400. Yup, that's right, and I WAS the fat one! He gained a person! I was never so happy than to walk away, it was hard, but I gained so much!

Best of luck w/ you on your journey both here and in your life...I know how difficult it can be!

Feel free to add me if you'd like =)
  • misty92
    misty92 Posts: 10
    Options
    I seperated from my ex-husband 8 years ago. Although when I went through my divorce I was the opposit I lost alot of weight. I gained my weight back when I met someone and was happy again. But I have been happily married for 4 years now. But there is now reason I have to be heavy while I am happy :)
  • canid
    canid Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, 10 years ago. We have a 13 year old son, but unfortunately his dad is still incredibly abusive and hateful, despite all these years! In fact, I am returning to court (again - his decision) as he decided suddenly he wanted our son to live with him. Nevermind that he's shown little interest in all these years otherwise.

Take care of YOU and breathe.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Meant I lost some before I started here :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Manda418
    Manda418 Posts: 2
    Options
    Yep, I sure did! It was a really tough time for me but it's all worked out! Hope you find peace! :smile:
  • fresaivette
    fresaivette Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    u can write me to my email. I have gone through a bunch. I gained 20 pounds first time in my life. And today I am better than ever :) my email s : fresaalejo@hotmail.com. i wrote all my story n how i went back to b me just in case was useful for people that goes thorugh changes. u will b just fine.. promisse.:blushing:
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am recently divorced and I was at my highest weight. My exhusband loved fried food and drinking and after 5 years of that lifestyle and 3 kids I hated my body. After a few months of binge eating and hating myself more I met an amazing guy. His 156 lbs. made me want to change my eating. He's one of those "fit but doesnt need to work out" types but together we both started exercising daily and eating better and I've never been happier. I'll tell you one of the hardest things for me is thinking that he might not be attracted to me if I loose the weight. Cause after all he met me at my biggest. I decided though that no matter how much that scares me I'm going to do this for me. If he loves me as much as he says he does than he'll still love me at my skinniest. You have the right attitude. Do this for yourself. Make yourself happy first and the rest of the puzzle will fall into place.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've been divorced 10 years. It took me 3 years to come out of the fog and decide I was ready to be out in the world again. However, it did take lots of baby steps and false starts.

I married again, but sadly my second husband died nearly 3 years ago. I'm 50 this year and I'm on a mission to be happy every day NOW.

Good luck, it takes a lot of work, but you will find yourself, and love yourself and life again.

GG
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i'm not, BUT just think for motivation, what a slap in the face for him when you look AMAZING! & he can't have you anymore :oD do this for you!
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I got divorced about 6 yrs ago. Then got back with him for 3 yrs lol. We have not been together for 2 yrs this month, but still share a house. Yep we still get along and still fight like a married couple sometimes. :laugh: It took a year to grieve and get over the loss of a partner, your dreams etc. We are so much better NOT together though, just took 11 years to realise it. I have an unusual situation to say the least but it works. I hope it goes smoothly for you and you come out the other side with a lot less stress and have a more relaxing life! :flowerforyou:
  • Sunshinegrl312
    Sunshinegrl312 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of people in the same emotional boat as me. Looks like I am in good company though. ;) I'm just getting back into the groove of ME and hoping to find lots of supportive people that understand what someone's hurt can do to someone inside and out. Anyone that doens't mind an extra friend for support and can give some along the way, I'm your girl. Best to everyone! :))