need some ideas please!

Options
stephcorona
stephcorona Posts: 114 Member
Hello,
With working 2 jobs and going to school I rarely ever cook. My boyfriend usually handles that for us thank goodness cuz honestly im not a very good cook either. I have decided to try and make us something for dinner on friday since I have the night off. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on something I can make that will WOW him and is HEALTHY. He has been great with being a huge support with school and my workout journey so I would like to do something to show my appreciation. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    What kind of food do you like to eat? There are so many healthy recipe sites out there. Try SkinnyTaste.com, there are lots of recipes and all of the one I have made have been delicious.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    One of my and my hubby's favorite meals is b-b-q salmon (or lightly pan sauted or oven broiled if bad weather) with a lemon pepper seasoningg. Whole wheat couscous cooked then sprinkled with chopped tomatoes and roasted corn kernals (I buy them frozen). Small glass of wine - we like reds.

Desert we like to buy mini meringue cookies.

Simple and healthy.

Best of luck - you are a great couple to be sure!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    This pasta puttanesca recipe I posted last week is delicious & easy. It's also meat-free, if either of you is observing Lent.

For an easy, yummy meat dish, I like to make a shortcut Shepherd's Pie:

*Approx. 1 lb. lean ground meat
    *2 cans Campbell's condensed soup -- Beef with barley & vegetables
    *2 cans mixed veggies (or peas/carrots), or a bag of frozen mixed veggies
    *lowfat mashed potatoes (instant or fresh, flavored or plain)

1. Brown the meat & drain off any excess fat
    2. In a large casserole dish, mix the meat with the canned soup & veggies (do NOT add water)
    3. Top with prepared mashed potatoes
    4. Bake at 350-400 degrees until hot, or until the potatoes start to get crusty on top.

Serve & enjoy. :)
  • mitts1970
    mitts1970 Posts: 56
    Options
    Don't know if you both like shrimp - but here is a great dish that I make for my guy for a special meal!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Shrimp-Creole-3

You're doing a very sweet thing and it sure sounds like he is worth the effort! good luck and let us know what you end up making :)
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "comfort" items to cook for Sunday night dinner is a roast chicken . . . and it is SO easy! I cook it in the oven, or sometimes my slow cooker.
    If you roast it on a bed of onions/celery/carrots it will make the best gravy you have ever had. Chop one onion, 4 or 5 stalks of celery, and 2 to 3 carrots and throw them into your roasting pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and poultry seasoning. Pour about 1 tablespoon of olive oil into your palm and grease the entire chicken and lay it on top of the veggies. Depending on the size of the bird, cook for about 25 minutes per pound . . . mine typically goes for about 2 1/2 hours. I also cook the bird breast side down so the white meat gets constantly basted and makes it really good and not dry at all. I strain the pan out and throw away the veggies and use the remaining liquid for gravy.

I usually steam a yam (or sweet potato) and mash for a sidedish along with a green salad.

Light a few candles and you have a terrific dinner!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I just was ABC and they had Rocco on the lasagna and pizza looked so good both under 350 calories here is the web site abcnews.com/recipes
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Another easy, delicious, healthy & impressive recipe I like is for chicken breasts or any kind of fresh fish fillets (boneless, skinless). This is a one-pot meal, so you should use a large "dutch oven" (wide saucepan, like what you'd use to boil a whole pound of pasta), or a large, deep skillet.

Nameless Recipe (DH & I just call it "spinach, tomatoes & beans" dinner)

*Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or fish fillets
    *1 bag baby spinach (or fresh chopped large-leaf spinach)
    *Minced garlic to taste
    *1-2 cans diced tomatoes (NOT drained) -- plain or flavored
    *1 can Navy beans (small white) -- drained
    *Olive oil as needed

1. Saute some garlic in a little bit of olive oil (calories & fat will depend how much you use).
    2. Add spinach, and cook until spinach is wilted.
    3. Add tomatoes, beans and chicken or fish
    4. Simmer until the chicken or fish is cooked through.

Serve with rice or couscous (white, brown, plain or flavored -- whatever kind you like).
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Easy and impressive if you don't cook? Stir fry! You can actually buy most veggies pre-cut. It can be made with chicken, beef, or shrimp. You do not need to use much oil. And, it makes great leftovers! :-)
  • BBBgettingfit
    BBBgettingfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Here's one I got from my sister - it's amazingly healthy, tastes super-rich, and is VERY easy to make. I'd serve it with some wine and crusty garlic bread....

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

I didn't know cauliflower could taste so creamy. It's amazing, and I wouldn't have ever guessed "cauliflower" as the main ingredient (honestly, as ANY ingredient) the first time I tried it! This is excellent with crusty bread, super-healthy, easy and (best of all) cheap ...

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
    About 1/2 tsp. salt
    3 garlic cloves, minced (I usually do more than this, but I have an unhealthy love of garlic)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 large head cauliflower (2 lbs.), chopped
    4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (beef works, too, in a pinch - the taste doesn't change that much)
    Freshly ground white pepper (I usually just skip the pepper altogether)
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced chives (this ingredient is KEY. Seriously. I made it without it once and it just wasn't the same)
    1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and salt, cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and wine. Cook, stirring, until liquid is almost completely evaporated, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is very soft, 20 to 25 minutes. In 3 batches, whirl soup in a blender until very smooth, at least 2 minutes per batch (or, if you'd like a few florets in your soup, blend 2 batches and leave the last chunky). Stir together and season to taste with white pepper (if you want) and salt. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, chives, and parsley. Ladle soup into bowls and decoratively drizzle herb oil on top.