MILK v. RICE, SOY, ALMOND MILK

Options
I'm thinking maybe it's time to start using skim milk (local and organic) as opposed to soy, rice or almond milk.The calories seem to be far less and I only use it for coffee and occasional cereal/oats so it might be beneficial as far as calorie count goes.

Truth is though, I don't know anything about milk as I have never researched it or even drank it--sure I've had it in things before, but never used it for things like cereal or drinking. Does anyone have any input to help weigh in my decision. I'm looking to fidn out which one comes out on top as a whole package of goodness--not just calorie intake.

Thanks,
Non-Dairy Milk Drinker

Replies

• moses5885
    Options
    only drink the others if your are lactose intolerant. otherwise i belive you get more calories and less protein from them rather than skim.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love Silk Soy milk, Chocolate light. It has 90 calories for 8oz and its much smoother than regular milk. It has less cholesterol as well. Its great to just drink by itself. Some say drinking chocolate milk after a workout will do wonders for repairing your muslces.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    www.milksucks.com <---- real website (but the server is down). It's forever turned me off real milk. Sorry.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I am drinking almond milk lately. I am not opposed to cow's milk...it just seems to make my tummy feel a little icky. I like the almond milk as compared to skim milk...skim milk to me is like water...belch. Soy has some icky hormonal things going on with it that I try to avoid soy as much as possible. I am really after the calcium in milk as it is so important for bone health. Almond milk has much more calcium than cow's milk per serving. My mom has bad bones as does my sister and I know I did not get the amount of calcium I should have during my teens & early twenties ... trying to make up for that now. Probably won't help, but it makes me feel better to try. I'm 35 ... if you are a young woman espeically, it's really important to get enough calcium for bone health as you get older!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Almond milk. I get the unsweetened vanilla from Blue Diamond.

The main differences I see between this and skim milk is skim milk has less fat and sodium and higher protein. On the other hand Almond milk is a lot lower in sugar and carbs and higher in iron.

It all depends on what you want but I stick with almond milk.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    skim milk is so thin you would need a lot of it to make your coffee pleasant. I know non-dairy creamers aren't natural but they will give you a better feel than skim milk
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    only drink the others if your are lactose intolerant. otherwise i belive you get more calories and less protein from them rather than skim.

No offense, but soy or almond are better as they are higher in protein and antioxidants, vitamins, and much lower on sugar. You can get light Soy 60 calories, the Almond they have original which is also 60 calories, or the unsweetened which is 35 calories. All these for an 8 ounce serving.
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options

No offense, but soy or almond are better as they are higher in protein and antioxidants, vitamins, and much lower on sugar. You can get light Soy 60 calories, the Almond they have original which is also 60 calories, or the unsweetened which is 35 calories. All these for an 8 ounce serving.

I love almond milk and everything BUT it is not higher in protein. Almond milk only has 1 gram of protein per each serving so, dairy milk serves as a much more practical protein source with 8 grams of the macronutrient per serving. Skim milk also contains more riboflavin, folate and Vitamin B12 than the almond alternative.

It doesn't really matter to me because I use it to blend my protein shakes. I just want to get the facts straight.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like "sugar and milk" in my hot tea, which is my hot beverage of choice - never developed a taste for coffee.

My favorite tea bags are Yogi Classic Indian Spice, and Yogi Chai Green.

I brew the tea in a small Mr. Coffee that has NEVER been used to make coffee!

Once I pour a tall mug of this hot, spicy, part Black/part Green tea, I then add Davinci's or Torani's Sugar Free Syrups - today's "mix" includes sugar free flavors of French Vanilla, Caramel, Chocolate, and Brown Sugar Cinnamon.

ADD TO THAT a generous splash of Silk Pure Almond Milk - unsweetened and unflavored. The milk is 35 cals for a FULL CUP, so for this decadent, sweet, hot, creamy beverage, I'm getting less than 10 calories - probably closer to 5. In addition to the flavors of the sweetners, I've now added an "Amaretto" type flavor with the Almond Milk. YUMMMMMMMMMILICIOUS!

:drinker:

Ice
  • jjennig
    jjennig Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the rest....I only drink rice, soy, or almond....I only touch real milk if I have to...
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Just read about the way soy is processioned to make "milk" turned me off for ever! That stuff is toxic. Most soy is GM and processed using hexane.
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input--I was always leaning towards sticking with rice, almond and sometimes (rarely unless it's my only option/on sale) soy, but I just wanted some food for thought (keep the thread going fi you so please!) I think what I need to do is start looking into different brands of rice and almond milks to get the these low calorie ones you guys are talkin' about.

I use Pacific Foods rice, soy and almond milk...around 130-140/ 8 ounces. Any more brand suggestions? I'm looking for plain milks--no flavors or sweeteners...as I don't really dig the taste/may use it for cooking. Sounds like a lot of people leans towards Silk Almond Milk--I had no idea it was so low in cals. Sweeeeet!
  • SHANNONMARTENS
    Options
    Silk Almond Milk is fantastic, I have tried soy but have heard not such good things about it and I can't digest milk.
  • MistyMtnMan
    Options
    Thanks for all the input--I was always leaning towards sticking with rice, almond and sometimes (rarely unless it's my only option/on sale) soy, but I just wanted some food for thought (keep the thread going fi you so please!) I think what I need to do is start looking into different brands of rice and almond milks to get the these low calorie ones you guys are talkin' about.

I use Pacific Foods rice, soy and almond milk...around 130-140/ 8 ounces. Any more brand suggestions? I'm looking for plain milks--no flavors or sweeteners...as I don't really dig the taste/may use it for cooking. Sounds like a lot of people leans towards Silk Almond Milk--I had no idea it was so low in cals. Sweeeeet!

I Love Blue Diamond original unsweetened. Only 40 calories a serving.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth between the Blue Diamond and the Silk, just depending which is on sale or which I have coupons for. I think our store even carries an off brand, though I haven't checked that label.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I love almond milk and everything BUT it is not higher in protein. Almond milk only has 1 gram of protein per each serving so, dairy milk serves as a much more practical protein source with 8 grams of the macronutrient per serving. Skim milk also contains more riboflavin, folate and Vitamin B12 than the almond alternative.

It doesn't really matter to me because I use it to blend my protein shakes. I just want to get the facts straight.
    It's also not just about how much protein. The kind of protein matters too. Just tossing that in as well.

I don't like almond milk. I've tried a couple brands (Silk & Blue Diamond). I do like the flavored soy milks. Those are great in cereal. But on a day to day basis, I use skim milk. Mostly for cereal/oats. My coffee is black with a touch of sugar (yes the real stuff).
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How about this on a similar topic:

Real butter v. earth balance/smart balance/etc.

What do you use and why?

I tend to stick to self-made spray bottles of olive oil or flaw seed oil--for rice, cooking (not flax), toast, etc.

If I want a spread--not all that often--I'll use Smart or Earth Balance, but I'm not sure how "smart" that is. Sometimes I'll just opt for avocado. I try to stear clear of butter because it's so tasty :) The boy I buy food/cook food with LOVES butter when he cooks.

A friend of mine recommended onion butter--water and onions cooked down into a paste with a pinch of salt. Mmm! That sounds awesome to cook with.
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    Being lactose intolerant, I haven't been drinking milk since middle school. I'm a little biased, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. When looking at the benefits of milk vs soy, almond or rice milk, I would look at the fact that if you don't buy organic milk or it doesn't state clearly on the packaging that the cows were not treated with rBST bovine growth hormone, there's a real possibility that there will be hormones in the milk. Also, milk has cholesterol which the others do not. The alternatives also have phytochemicals which help protect the heart. Soy milk contains 10 times as many fatty acids (mono-, di-, polyunsaturated fats) which lower LDL levels. Milk is known for having Vitamins A and D, but they are not found naturally in Milk. The dairy farmers need to add them into the milk (AKA Fortified).

Research demonstrates that men who drink 2 servings of soy milk every day are 70% less likely to develop prostate cancer. (www.all-soy-products.com/a21-soy-milk-vs-cow-milk.php)

My main reason for wanting more people to use alternatives to milk, is that the cows must be hormonally stimulated to produce the amount of milk that we require for consumption. It's hard on the animals and it seems unfair since humans shouldn't need to drink milk beyond breastfeeding. I hope this helps.