For all you with tattoos!!

Options
13»

Replies

• tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    half sleeve on the right arm, all black ink - includes a luck band, a 'potentcy' charm, a large aztec sun in the middle (for power),etc

tattoo of the hawaiian islands crawling from my left shoulder down my left tricep -- got it done in hawaii by the "best" local tattoo guy on maui (Sampson)

Love hawaii!!
  • mkskippy24
    Options
    I'm beyond, far far BEYOND counting tattoos. I have two full sleeves, a chest piece, a both leg sleeves started... tattoos behind both ears..... and even IN one of my ears :)

For me, most have meaning, most define how I look at art and beauty, and what define what beauty is. My left leg sleeve is dedicated to women, many kinds and facets of how women are perceived or how they themselves act out. My right leg is a dedication to one of my favorite artists : greg simkins. Just LOVE him. I also have some work from Buffmonster and Illicit. I have memorial pieces from the cats and dogs who have left my life, and still live in my heart.

I feel like I am a walking poster of who I really am, what i believe, and how I view beauty.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    I have "Proverbs 31" tattooed on my right bicep. It was my 20lb. lost reward. I've wanted it for a very long time, and it was my first tatt! It's the proverb that talks about being a "noble woman". A few years ago a friend who is very dear to me said I reminded him of this Proverb, and that I should always remember to live my life with dignity and strength. So I figured, what the heck? I'll get it tattooed on me :smile:
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar glider which is like a flying squirrel but is actually an opossum that is gray with two black stripes going down his back. It is on my right shoulder blade. He looks like he is climbing up my shoulder and then turns his head around to look around. His eyes are black and the tattoo artist scratched them till they scared so they would stick out like 3-D. I got him right after I turned 18. I had always wanted to get a pair of sugar gliders as pets but they are nocturnal and cost a pretty penny so instead I got him on my shoulder to look after me at night when I was not able to look after myself. I got him the same time I got my belly button pierced and the same day my high school sweetheart got a tattoo of as wolf clawing his way out of his right shoulder blade. This was for him to symbolize breaking free. I still love it even though it can be awkward to wear dresses that it shows when I am trying to look classy. But I just put on a shawl or a shrug and call it good. Figure if people don't like it then tough crap.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    For the color of my flowers, each one will represent something different, am having trouble finding what color would symbolize the loss of a loved one though
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have 16 as of now, there will be more.

I have two faeries on my back, sitting in a tree that is half green and half gray.

I have Ernie & Bert above my knee that I got after my grandpa passed away. He always reminded me of Ernie.

I have a peanut cactus flower above Ernie & Bert that I got after my really good friend passed away. He loved the desert.

I have 7 stars on my hip. I get one everytime I go somewhere new. It's my permanent souvenier. I can't lose it, and I can't break it. So far I have one from: Hollywood, CA; Dallas, TX; Lansing, MI; Atlantic City, NJ; Las Vegas, NV; Austin, TX; and New Orleans, LA.

I have the symbol for cancer on the back of one calf, and the symbol for scorpio on the other. These are for my children.

I have a canary on my left forearm, and a bluebird on the right. I got these after my grandma passed away. She loved canaries, and bluebirds.

Who did you Lansing MI star?
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have a unique Alkaline Trio tattoo on my right shoulder blade. I absolutely love this band and have seen/met them numerous times. I actually would not know my boyfriend if it wasn't for them either.
    Bats behind my ears- I wanted bats and they were super cheap on Halloween one year =)
    A wrist tattoo that some sm's in my area all got. super silly but it was a huge part of my life.
    A stargaze lilly on each shoulder.
    A Sailor Jerry Hula girl with Alkaline Trio lyrics. SJ has great flash. I love the rum and the hula girl is on the bottle..
    An awesome bust of Medusa that was inspired by artist, Heather Gabel's print.
    A maneki neko kitty. No coin, holding a fish instead. I love cats!

my fb page has most of them posted: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?profile=1&id=896260331
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    two: a strength symbol (translation of the name of someone I lost) and a small duck (much to long of a story)

I want one more with translations for Love, Dark Water, and Protector in a band on my arm. All names of people i love
  • jmae418
    jmae418 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have three.

On my lower back : I have a Celtic cross(because I'm Irish) for strength. In each "branch" of the cross I have a heart in celtic knotting for friends and family that have passed away. Inside the middle of the cross I have three shamrocks for luck in health, wealth and happiness.

on my right foot: I have a Celtic Trinity with the eternal circle surrounding it. My brother and I got matching tattoo's. The trinity means a connection and the circle means eternal.

On the inside of my left wrist: says DEFY GRAVITY with stars around it. It is from the musical Wicked. ( actually the quote on my signature) It reminds me daily to push myself farther than others think I can go
  • sbranaghan
    sbranaghan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have 4 butterflies on my back. Each one stands for my daughter, son, huband and my grandma (who just passed)
    All of these people mean so much to me in my life :love:
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i have 2, a dragon on my lower back and swirls and stars on my ankle, pics on my profile, am getting 1 more done not sure what or where 2 yet
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have seven.

1. "Be Just And Fear Not" on my ankle. It's a Rocky Horror Picture Show reference. My best friend did it with a needle in my bedroom when I was 14.
    2. "Anjee" surrounded by angel wings on my right bicept. The best friend that did tattoo #1 passed away when I was 18, that is her name.
    3. "X Files" movie logo on my right calf. My girlfriend at the time has the same one on her lower back. I lived in Tulsa and I was around 20.
    4. "Jesus Fish" on my right forearm. About 4 inches from my wrist. In the New Testament Paul talks about getting a "secret" mark so they could identify other believers. I chose the "Jesus Fish" because when I see it I think of Jesus. I was 22.
    5. Picture: "A Wooden Cross dripping Blood Over The Earth". My best guy friend once wanted to be a missionary. He went to some church in Florida and they passed out giant pins with that picture on it. I just liked it when I saw it.
    6. "Serenity" in Chinese. After Joss Whedon's Firefly/Serenity. My ex and I got tattoos on our two week vacation. I chose Serenity because it reminds me of how I have peace in my life because of....my faith lol. And of course, I love Joss Whedon
    7. "New York Yankees" logo on my left calf. Got this one with Rachel, the current girlfriend, on 6th Street in Austin about a year go. This one is obvious.

Next is a doe with the word "Always" floating near it. I <3 Snape
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    I have 4 and I'm working on one more. My first is basically a tramp stamp that I got when I was 18 but I still really like it. It's a butterfly. The second one is a polar bear paw that I drew. Polar bears are my favorite animal and I wanted it to remember them if they indeed go extinct in the next 50 years. My third is 2 calla lilies with a hummingbird that span my side from just below my right breast to my hip. I got it just before graduating from college; partially on an impulse and partially to represent rebirth and growth. My fourth is a matching tattoo I got with my best friend who I've known since I was about 7 months old. It's a purple trillium to represent the past, present and future of our friendship.

Finally, the one I'm working on is a tribute to my uncle Jerry. He died of lung cancer when I was a freshman in high school. I was the last one with him when he died. It was the most spiritual experience of my life and I was forever changed. The tattoo design is based on what happened after he died. My mom, dad, grandma, aunt Bonnie, uncle Jeff, cousin Carlie and I went outside to give the coroner some space. My uncle and I were sitting next to each other on the picnic table when a maple leaf fell from the tree above out house and landed in his lap (it was also his birthday). He picked up the leaf, looked it over, handed it to me and said, "I think this is for you." I kept that leaf until I moved away for school. My tattoo design is a falling maple leaf that will start at my right shoulder and end at my left hip. I really want to get this before I move away from Portland, but I'll have to save money first.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I have a koi from the top of my shoulder to my elbow. I like the story of the koi's journey to becoming a dragon and how that relates to my life experiences.

I have a tribal design on my back from my elbows to my neck.

I have a phoenix over my heart, which matches my girls. We survived a rather violent and traumatic experience together, getting these was a part of our healing process.
  • TacoGibbons
    TacoGibbons Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have 5--and plan on at least 5 more.

My first one is a back piece that takes up a fair amount of my upper back. It is a circle with a 90 degree bent twisty tree. The tree was seen on a hike I did in the Grand Canyon with 5 of my best friends on a cross country road trip to drop everyone off at their respective colleges...the tree symbolizes the trip and the growth of our friendships. Next to the tree is an illustration by Shel Silverstein--it is of an older man with a hat with three birds in it. This represents my childhood and growing up/leaving the next. There is a quote on the bottom of the tattoo that reads, "A lot like life wouldn't you say.." It is the last sentence my favorite apocalyptic short story in Generation X by Douglas Coupland. The tattoo as a whole represents the end of an awesome era.

My second tattoo is of a sloth skeleton--it reminds me to slow down and breathe. The sloth moves so slow it grows moss--a natural defense mechanism because it blends with it's environment.

My third tattoo is from an Audrey Kawasaki painting--it's just a bunch of pretty flowers. I got it right before I flew to meet my brother and my mom when he was living in St. Martin. I thought the flowers would take the attention away from the skeleton on my arm so my mom wouldn't think I was too scary looking ;-) They've come to be my "mom" tattoo haha.

The fourth tattoo reads, "When they put you 6 feet under ground / Will the big bad beautiful moon be around." Cat power lyrics in memory of my Aunt and Cousin.

The 5th is another Audrey Kawasaki painting...it was supposed to look like the painting (a deer skull) but it looks like a big fat cow. Ah, well. Mistakes happen :)

Future tattoos include a full-feathered peacock, the Morton Salt girl, and one for each of my immediate family. I like getting tattoos in memory of friends or family that pass away. It makes me feel close to them after their passing.
  • Ebelstad
    Ebelstad Posts: 9
    Options
    R foot: whale
    L foot: day of the dead skull
    R thigh: pinup girl
    R ribcage: Blue Footed Boobie Bird
    Back: My daughters footprints from birth
    R arm: 1/2 sleeve of maritime type stuff a sailboat and anchors bc my husband is in the US Coast guard.
    Plenty more to come just need the $ lol
  • orangejellybean
    orangejellybean Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a butterfly on my foot, i got it spur of the moment... so it doesn't really mean anything. But i did get it done with my family watching haha and my older brother got another one done at the same time, so it does remind me of that holiday :)
    And a couple of years ago, i got the word "love" tattooed on my ribs cause i love everything about love!! I lovelovelove love haha!!
    Man that one hurt though!

I would love at least 2 more...
    I want a bird drawn by my favourite artist on my wrist and a pink bow in between my shoulder blades. I will get these both eventually :D
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have a portrait of my little brother, who just passed away. it's in my pics.
  • bonkers4mydogs
    bonkers4mydogs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mine is in the center of my back just below my neck. It's an orca tail sticking out of the water, with a sunset in the background surrounded by the words "In Loving Memory Cindy Gillen October 18, 1965 - February 11, 2009". It's for my mom who we unexpectedly lost two years ago due to a sudden heart attack.

She loved Killer Whales (orcas) and she loved the beach especially at sunset.