Is protein powder necessary?...

Options
2»

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    NO. No no no no no no no.

The only time protein powder is ever justifiable is if you're bodybuilding. EVER. It is completely unnecessary and unhealthy. The only reason people think they need it is because the people who market that stuff are trying to make money. Period.

Wow. Bold, but wrong. Just like has been said by many, a protein supplement is just that, to supplement your diet with more protein. If a person, regardless of bodybuilding or not, cannot get their daily protein intake through whole foods, they can supplement their diet with the shakes. There are others as well that will use them for convenience. And like kevanos said, its just as safe as any whole food. Indeed, protein powders are made from whole foods, eg cheese. I will understand your position if you say cheese, or any other whole food used to make protein powders, are unsafe.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    with it being so important for my metabollism, I need it.

Protein shake is certainly not a bad choice for breakfast but this is simply not true. Breakfast does not speed up/keep metabolism going. If you skip breakfast, scientific studies say your metabolism actually kicks up a bit. Just hate to see people misinformed.

This is the first time I have heard this. Do you have a reference? I'd be really interested in reading it.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    NO. No no no no no no no.

The only time protein powder is ever justifiable is if you're bodybuilding. EVER. It is completely unnecessary and unhealthy. The only reason people think they need it is because the people who market that stuff are trying to make money. Period.

please stop posting nonsense like this on here. people are asking legitimate questions and answers like this are ignorant and make you sound like an idiot
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the author of the article. Whey is not better than whole food proteins. But it's not worse either. For me it's definitely a matter of convenience. With my current goal of weight loss it's very nice to be able to get a large amount of high quality protein for relatively few calories.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    with it being so important for my metabollism, I need it.

Protein shake is certainly not a bad choice for breakfast but this is simply not true. Breakfast does not speed up/keep metabolism going. If you skip breakfast, scientific studies say your metabolism actually kicks up a bit. Just hate to see people misinformed.
    I have to strongly disagree with you on this front. For every one study saying it is does not there is one saying it does, I know for me personally it does work, if I skip breakfast I will have much lower energy levels and feel sick. In the month that I tried skipping it i gained 8 pounds, and that was all that changed was timing of my meals. All figures were the exact same thing, then when I went back to my usual routine I lost 10 pounds in 1 month so if you are correct then there is no reason why I gained that weight or lost more when eating breakfast.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    to the op, interesting read, I have bookmarked it and he did bring up some good points. I do not think it is necessary and for many years I did not use one, but when I am dieting and cutting down fat I like them for convenience.
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use pea protein and don't trust whey protein as is from animals. Similarly, I don't trust egg whites only because the yolks are so very good for you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I use three different proteins. I do not believe they are necessary. It could get all the goodies I need through diet, but that's hard for me. With protein drinks I can keep my cals under controll, and get all the proteins and vitamins I need.